Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Hawg G

I could go to DL Saturday with my annual pass. I'd use max pass and get 5 FP for the day, plus ride another 5 rides, all in 8 hours. 9 am to 5 PM. I've done it many times.

I have two active tickets for WDW that I'll be using in Jan. They never expire and can be used tomorrow if I want so I decided to test out the FP available. I just reserved 3 FP for Magic Kingdom for Saturday, Oct 26. Space, Splash, plus Tomorrowland Speedway. I then checked out Epcot. I could get Frozen, Mission Space, and Spaceship earth. At the Studios Rock n Roller Coaster or Toy Story is available. Then I could get Star Tours. Lastly I can grab Everest, plus then get Rapids and Dinosaur. Last minute FP. Easy for anyone to get. Easily get another 6-7 rides in during the day to get 10 done.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you actually go to the parks. At least the ones that think you can only get in 3-4 rides. FP is helpful. It is available at the last minute. Everyone can use it. This will be the first time I'll be making FP 2 months ahead of my vacation for WDW in Jan. so should be fun.

You realize those rides are not the “big” rides, that garner hour plus waits, right?

Joesixtoe

You realize those rides are not the “big” rides, that garner hour plus waits, right?
Many many times do we go to any of the parks and ride all the big rides(mine train is difficult I'll admit) and book the fast passes the same day. We literally do 8-10 rides in 5-6 hours plus eat, plus watch the fireworks. I love what we have now, I know at some point it may change, but I'll enjoy it until it does.

SWGalaxysEdge

This scene - lets discuss...

Those doors are the cell doors that open to the common area. Notice no one in the ride car - this is where you load up.
what else?

SWGalaxysEdge

Ride car adjustments - I was talking a while back about one "delay" for RotR being the ride cars needed to be converted for ADA riders. See the image below and notice the cars have pocket doors that slide open/closed? For ADA purposes this is not wide enough for a person to xfer to the vehicle. They had to horizontally cut the door area and re-imagineer a way to make the doors safe for the ADS rider (no pinching, etc) and still allow the door to close. At the time, they were going to through several design ideas on what to do.

Image #2 is after the door was been cut, You can see all the potential sharp pointy things that a person transferring might get hurt on. They had to reattach a swinging door that would not pinch the rider. Last I knew, they did figure out what they wanted and have been converting cars ever since. YES they are converting them all. (38 of them)

raymusiccity

Ride car adjustments - I was talking a while back about one "delay" for RotR being the ride cars needed to be converted for ADA riders. See the image below and notice the cars have pocket doors that slide open/closed? For ADA purposes this is not wide enough for a person to xfer to the vehicle. They had to horizontally cut the door area and re-imagineer a way to make the doors safe for the ADS rider (no pinching, etc) and still allow the door to close. At the time, they were going to through several design ideas on what to do.

Image #2 is after the door was been cut, You can see all the potential sharp pointy things that a person transferring might get hurt on. They had to reattach a swinging door that would not pinch the rider. Last I knew, they did figure out what they wanted and have been converting cars ever since. YES they are converting them all. (38 of them)

View attachment 420298

View attachment 420299
It doesn't seem reasonable that they're cutting all of them. They would just be required to have a few modified units to comply with ADA. These openings don't look any different than the vehicles in 'Journey' or Spaceship Earth. :)
IMG_0007.JPG

danlb_2000

Premium Member

View attachment 420298

View attachment 420299

How did a mistake like this happen in the first place?

SWGalaxysEdge

It doesn't seem reasonable that they're cutting all of them. They would just be required to have a few modified units to comply with ADA. These openings don't look any different than the vehicles in 'Journey' or Spaceship Earth. :)
View attachment 420303

See the area I marked in yellow? A person transferring cannot make it properly. the wheelchair/scooter needs to be able to pull up right next to the seat so they can slide right into the car. Too much gap - they have to shimmy inside the door and many can not do this.
I am disabled myself, amputee, and I know first hand. See second image - gotta have the chair right up to it to transfer.
If you've never had to do it, you can;t appreciate how important this is.

britain

See the area I marked in yellow? A person transferring cannot make it properly. the wheelchair/scooter needs to be able to pull up right next to the seat so they can slide right into the car. Too much gap - they have to shimmy inside the door and many can not do this.
I am disabled myself, amputee, and I know first hand. See second image - gotta have the chair right up to it to transfer.
If you've never had to do it, you can;t appreciate how important this is.

View attachment 420311

View attachment 420312

I guess the question is, if doors like these are acceptable on Imagination, why is it not acceptable on RotR?

SWGalaxysEdge

Exactly my thoughts.

I have to talk about this every time.
Suppose they only modify 4 of the cars (out of 38) What if you are disabled but the 4 ADA cars are out in show space.
Now you and your party have to wait? What if the group behind you is the same? Now you have 2 groups waiting. Where do they wait that is not in the way?
Let me be clear - I AM NOT GUESSING ABOUT THIS - they ARE converting ALL of the cars at both lands.

britain

I;m not in charge of what is "acceptable" and what is not, I'm just telling you what RotR is doing. Maybe since the Imagineers have figured it out for RotR, they'll go back and retro the rides? Who knows.

I suppose one possible difference is how high the RotR walls come, halfway up to your shoulder. Those aren't at armrest-level like on Imagination.

While we're at it, look at the bottom of that droid! NO FEET?! IMMERSION RUINED!!!

peter11435

View attachment 420303
Due to the nature of this experience only having a few accessible vehicle would not work. They need to be able to load them as they arrive regardless of what vehicle is present

ToTBellHop

Due to the nature of this experience only having a few accessible vehicle would not work. They need to be able to load them as they arrive regardless of what vehicle is present
The only way they COULD have avoided this would be to have a dedicated ADA load area like TSM. They chose not to for whatever reason. With the existing set-up, I have come to agree that they need to convert all cars, just from an ops perspective.

RSoxNo1

I have to talk about this every time.
Suppose they only modify 4 of the cars (out of 38) What if you are disabled but the 4 ADA cars are out in show space.
Now you and your party have to wait? What if the group behind you is the same? Now you have 2 groups waiting. Where do they wait that is not in the way?
Let me be clear - I AM NOT GUESSING ABOUT THIS - they ARE converting ALL of the cars at both lands.
There is plenty of precedent for having only a handful of ADA compliant vehicles. Boat rides like "it's a small world", Pirates of the Caribbean, and Gran Fiesta Tour are not all ADA compliant. Frozen and Na'vi River Journey have zero ADA compliant vehicles.

I'm not questioning that they're changing out all 38 vehicles, I'm questioning why they need to.

trainplane3

View attachment 420303
I guess the question is, if doors like these are acceptable on Imagination, why is it not acceptable on RotR?
Another reason could be because Imagination has a wheelchair capable car so they don't need every car to be ADA:

But like @peter11435 said, every car needs it so they can load regardless.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom