Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance

Surferboy567

Not sure if this has been mentioned but how long is the actual queue...are we talking FoP length or something along those lines? I'd imagine it would be as detailed as FoP.

SWGalaxysEdge

If Rise doesn't open on the 5th what type of response will WDPR have?

For ex:
All attractions times and dates are subject to change

It'll open on the 5th "come hell or high water" and they've already had high water. But seriously, they don't have much choice now. They named a date. They'll just throw a lot of workers at it and 24 hour a day work at it, to make sure it happens. That's what they did at DL when they said May 31st - my friends working on construction were telling stories about the long days and night and extra work crews, etc.

Ravenclaw78

It'll open on the 5th "come hell or high water" and they've already had high water. But seriously, they don't have much choice now. They named a date. They'll just throw a lot of workers at it and 24 hour a day work at it, to make sure it happens. That's what they did at DL when they said May 31st - my friends working on construction were telling stories about the long days and night and extra work crews, etc.
Beyond a hard minimum time to account for the laws of physics (i.e. can't build on concrete until the concrete sets), you can get any construction project done on any schedule if you're willing to throw enough money and manpower at it. If the schedule you set is relatively reasonable, you can even do it without sacrificing quality or features. It's the old saw about fast, cheap, and good - you can have any two, but you'll sacrifice the third.

ToTBellHop

Beyond a hard minimum time to account for the laws of physics (i.e. can't build on concrete until the concrete sets), you can get any construction project done on any schedule if you're willing to throw enough money and manpower at it. If the schedule you set is relatively reasonable, you can even do it without sacrificing quality or features. It's the old saw about fast, cheap, and good - you can have any two, but you'll sacrifice the third.
It’ll be ready. If it needs to open like Hagrid (major operational issues) they could say “soft openings start December 5; grand opening in January”.

drizgirl

It’ll be ready. If it needs to open like Hagrid (major operational issues) they could say “soft openings start December 5; grand opening in January”.
And I think that would be a second blackeye for Disney over how this rolled out. And I doubt they could delay a full opening until January because they need that staff in Disneyland finishing up theirs.

Surferboy567

I can’t believe I didn’t notice this but...everyone’s favorite site spotted BB-8 on Poe’s X-Wing. This queue is really shaping up to be something amazing. I cannot wait for my trip In January!

Ravenclaw78

I agree with all the above, with the caveat that when it comes to software, more manpower frequently does not solve the problems any faster.

That's why I specified construction. As a general rule, fast/good/cheap applies to most projects in most industries, but software development has a more complicated relationship between the three. It's nearly impossible to get both fast and good, though Agile methodology tries really hard to improve that.

ToTBellHop

And I think that would be a second blackeye for Disney over how this rolled out. And I doubt they could delay a full opening until January because they need that staff in Disneyland finishing up theirs.
I don’t think they’re literally sending the construction workers out west.

If you go into this expecting a very complex new ride to open without significant operational issues, you will be let down. Unlike MFSR, they won’t have the luxury of removing 1/4 or 1/2 capacity without having to close the ride.

WDW Pro

Latest word I have from a few days ago is that TDO is now expecting to have to announce a delay for the opening, but they're holding off on the announcement so as to not damage potential holiday resort bookings. Things continue to go poorly at both construction sites, the budget continues to balloon beyond requirements, and TDA is frankly in freak-out mode because September attendance is continuing to be abysmal even with APs unlocked. DHS data is beginning to settle in, and MFSR is regularly being outperformed in riders and queue times by Slinky Dog AND RnRC after 1:00 pm.

Last edited by a moderator:

ToTBellHop

Latest word I have from a few days ago is that TDO is now expecting to have to announce a delay for the opening, but they're holding off on the announcement so as to not damage potential holiday resort bookings. Things continue to go poorly at both construction sites, the budget continues to balloon beyond requirements, and TDA is frankly in freak-out mode because September attendance is continuing to be abysmal even with APs unlocked. DHS data is beginning to settle in, and MFSR is regularly being outperformed in riders and queue times by Slinky Dog AND RnRC after 1:00 pm.

Reshoots are continuing for Episode 9 until October. Post production will go right down to the wire. Top executives at Disney have gotten involved with JJ and have given specific, direct orders to make certain changes in an attempt to bolster the entire franchise. Rian Johnson was given official notice by Disney that he is no longer to confirm he is making any future trilogy or working on any future movies. He was given the ability to be ambiguous about it, but no more confirmations per Disney legal. Essentially, he's a dead man walking when it comes to ever working with Star Wars again.
Interesting about RotR. Have to investigate. That would be DISASTROUS. I had last heard it would be close but 12/5 was still doable.

SWGalaxysEdge

So is it still the same problem with the ride? It was the Wif signal to he ride vehicles right? Is this still the case or is it a new problem?

My DL source recently (last weekend) told me that they were having a great day because there were no breakdowns. Maybe they spoke too soon? WiFi was the initial issue. I mentioned this a long time ago with my DL source, that I worked in Networking and when the AP gets too busy it will drop off connections. I suggested something as simple as replacing patch cables, because they were dropping hundreds of milliseconds of connectivity all the time - which sounds like a "leak" from the APs. I've gotten store bought and home made cables and had issues that I fixed with a cable replacement. Next maybe the APs are not robust enough to handle the traffic they need to handle. There are 30 show vehicles that need to communicate and most APs get flaky after 15-20 simultaneous connections, and will start dumping random connections. I suggested adding MORE APs as well. Lastly, they are inside a giant steel Faraday cage, for all intents and purposes, and there just may be too much interference. Obviously there are rides like Ratatouille that are doing it with their vehicles, Winnie the Pooh too. I don't work for Disney, so no one is gonna listen to me, which is why I suggested it to my contact, to suggest to their bosses. My contact works directly with the ride vehicles too.

I've heard rumors of in-floor puck issues, but my contact at DL says nothing has been changed out in their ride building. DHS was plagued from the start with building issues - pieces in the wrong spots, flooding because scruppers were not installed either in time or at all, before major Florida rains came and wiped out $$$ of computer equipment, mold issues because of the water damage, whole crews/companies being fired and new ones coming in to basically start over.

Heck, they (DHS) had to hold off on their First Order/Kylo Ren show for a few weeks because rains had damaged and soaked the interior of the TIE Echelon set. They had to let it dry out and seal it properly.

Anyone else got insight into issues?

Movielover

My DL source recently (last weekend) told me that they were having a great day because there were no breakdowns. Maybe they spoke too soon? WiFi was the initial issue. I mentioned this a long time ago with my DL source, that I worked in Networking and when the AP gets too busy it will drop off connections. I suggested something as simple as replacing patch cables, because they were dropping hundreds of milliseconds of connectivity all the time - which sounds like a "leak" from the APs. I've gotten store bought and home made cables and had issues that I fixed with a cable replacement. Next maybe the APs are not robust enough to handle the traffic they need to handle. There are 30 show vehicles that need to communicate and most APs get flaky after 15-20 simultaneous connections, and will start dumping random connections. I suggested adding MORE APs as well. Lastly, they are inside a giant steel Faraday cage, for all intents and purposes, and there just may be too much interference. Obviously there are rides like Ratatouille that are doing it with their vehicles, Winnie the Pooh too. I don't work for Disney, so no one is gonna listen to me, which is why I suggested it to my contact, to suggest to their bosses. My contact works directly with the ride vehicles too.

I've heard rumors of in-floor puck issues, but my contact at DL says nothing has been changed out in their ride building. DHS was plagued from the start with building issues - pieces in the wrong spots, flooding because scruppers were not installed either in time or at all, before major Florida rains came and wiped out $$$ of computer equipment, mold issues because of the water damage, whole crews/companies being fired and new ones coming in to basically start over.

Heck, they (DHS) had to hold off on their First Order/Kylo Ren show for a few weeks because rains had damaged and soaked the interior of the TIE Echelon set. They had to let it dry out and seal it properly.

Anyone else got insight into issues?

. Sounds like one of the performing arts theaters that I work in. Recently our orchestra pit flooded due to the poor ways they installed the pipes, completely flooding and destroying the several thousand dollar motorized pit and all the audio and lighting equipment down there...

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom