News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance to begin Standby September 23rd

doctornick

Just shows how bad WDW has become. We will either have to pay $125 to ride one ride there or wait 3 hours for that same ride. My kids just said “dad, why we would we go there then? Why don’t we just do an extra day at universal?

To be fair... we were at Universal in the month after Hagrid's opened and we were so psyched that our schedule would allow us to ride it. And, interestingly, it was intended to have a virtual queue. But instead they went standby only and there was no way in heck we were going to be able to wait in a 3-4 hour line just to ride. And rope drop wasn't an option as it wasn't really opening until noon or so even though the line starting forming when the park opened - so even if you were one of the first people to ride for the day, you were still waiting like 3 hours.

If there were a pay to ride option or some way to do a virtual queue, we would have done it without a thought. But as is we never got to ride. Oh well, next time we go there.

CJR

And the problem with this is that when there is limited attraction capacity, that means people are essentially in two lines at once which is convenient for those people but when they don't have enough to keep all those people busy, becomes a problem for Disney.

They have plenty to keep them busy, it's worked since RotR opened. They still have more things to reopen too, that could further add capacity (VotLM, Indy and Fantasmic come to mind).

We'll get to see soon enough, if the other attractions have any relief, since this physical queue will be in place before Lightning Lane debuts.

MrPromey

They have plenty to keep them busy, it's worked since RotR opened. They still have more things to reopen too, that could further add capacity (VotLM, Indy and Fantasmic come to mind).

We'll get to see soon enough, if the other attractions have any relief, since this physical queue will be in place before Lightning Lane debuts.
We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

I think if they had enough in this park, they'd have never needed to resort to tiered FP+ but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
With the P2P option coming soon for Rise, Disney will have to walk a fine line between LL capacity and wait times. And the virtual queue (which still sounds utterly stupid to me, it’s not a virtual queue, it’s a “standby line” 🙄) will be cut off once it hits a certain length for two reasons. One is so the lines don’t snake out around the entire park - any standby for this more than 3 hours is bound to cause problems, especially when it breaks down. The other is a subtle enticement to spend on IAS. Yes, I’m as cynical and jaded as anyone, but even I know that they won’t purposely manipulate queue times for this to encourage LL purchases. So 3 hours will (hopefully) be 3 hours. They know they’ll get a lot of people willing to pony up a sizable amount already, so there’s no real benefit to cooking the numbers for Rise. It would just create bad PR, something they seek to avoid. So cutting off the standby line at a certain point helps distribute guests.

FWIW, I’ve been on this twice and have absolutely zero intention of spending any money to ride it, or anything else, for that matter.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is me, right now.
Very pumped by the news as up until now, I have not been able to experience this Attraction even though I have been to the Park a couple of times since it opened.

Finally.....those who don't have tech toys or fast fingers can finally have a chance to ride!
Woo hoo!
12 days and counting to arrival....

🎉
Ride it…it’s a ride. Get ready for that 6 minutes - or whatever it is
Wow. I will be there the 26th - 3rd, the 50th. We are early risers. 7am to get a boarding group was always no problem. Real early rope drops for FOP were bad. An uncivilized mob, stressful, borderline unsafe. But, that is what it take to ride. Rise will be a stampede. I am 52 years old, tough working guy, and the combination of pushing, shoving, running, fast walking at some rope drops is insane. People who would normally be scared to bump into the big tattooed guy do so repeatedly.

I stay calm. I want to grab some of them and throw them in the bushes. But, no matter how bad I am disrespected, I know I have to stay calm, and not get in trouble.

Rise will be different. It is the best ride/attraction ever. Rope drop will be disgusting. Cast members will strain to keep their cool, because they like their jobs. Guys like me will struggle to not grab some line jumper by the neck because I want to come back next year.

This might get ugly.
…you’re 52?
Ya, this is going to be really bad. The unsafe part is probably the scariest.
Or maybe it will start to just go back to one of many?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

I gotta ask: have you been watching the last 20 years?

…what on earth would indicate there’s “Enough to do”?

techgeek

I’ve been a member here a couple of years but don’t post. However, I must ask why none of the experts or insiders here predicted this move? Was it that top secret or what and why? If I missed a prediction, please point it out to me. Hate being blindsided like this when I have a trip coming up. Thank you!

It was rather last minute. They just put up a “Virtual” sign over what will now be Standby…

There's been a lot of 'rather last minute' around Disney lately. Of course, that could be said for the world at large the last 2 years.

I'm no insider, but years of observing Disney operationally leads me to a gut feeling there's a perfect storm brewing around the Genie rollout. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see significant 'tweaks' to the system with little notice during the first month or two. There's bound to be unanticipated failure modes all over the place.

CJR

I gotta ask: have you been watching the last 20 years?

…what on earth would indicate there’s “Enough to do”?

Yes. Guests seem perfectly OK with what is there, and more will come eventually anyways. Also, it's operating right now with attractions sitting empty, don't forget that.

Could it use more? Absolutely. Is every single seat on every single ride and show completely filled? Nope. It's hardly that bad and that's with multiple attractions still closed and with the virtual queue in place.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this point.

I think if they had enough in this park, they'd have never needed to resort to tiered FP+ but that's just my opinion.

Now we're not talking about the same thing that we were before. It's twisting the context a bit.

Three out of four parks had a tiered Fastpass. All three have needed things. Can a guest buy a ticket to any of them and have a fulfilling day? Absolutely.

What we were talking about was people who have boarding groups are waiting in line for other attractions.

The capacity in the park exists to hold these people just fine, and it has so far, all with multiple attractions still closed. That's a fact.

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

0DEE3D48-75A1-4133-9F4F-561C23F29730.jpeg

jonnyc

I've not been to DHS since Galaxy's Edge opened, so not too familiar with the layout in the park, but could Cast Members walk you the long way round on rope drop to stop the running/stampedes/death of Mufasa? Similar to the way they do sometimes at IOA for Hogsmeade?

Otherwise, we might need a new "Running at Disney" thread to cover rope drop at DHS...

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
There's been a lot of 'rather last minute' around Disney lately. Of course, that could be said for the world at large the last 2 years.

I'm no insider, but years of observing Disney operationally leads me to a gut feeling there's a perfect storm brewing around the Genie rollout. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see significant 'tweaks' to the system with little notice during the first month or two. There's bound to be unanticipated failure modes all over the place.
Their tech never works properly at release. Even the boarding group process was a disaster at first. I am sure they are rushing the people who are programming all this and it’ll show when they finally go live.

lewisc

Their tech never works properly at release. Even the boarding group process was a disaster at first. I am sure they are rushing the people who are programming all this and it’ll show when they finally go live.
I was at Battuu opening week for RotR. There were issues with the attraction going down. The BG system itself wasn't a disaster.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I’d be surprised if it weren’t added.

That'll be a huge benefit to staying onsite if they do...

I’ll be curious to see the LL composition here. If they set aside 2/3 of capacity for that with hour-long windows, they risk very long LL queues, especially with breakdowns, which are frequent. We used to see this on Test Track with FP+. I guess that was fine when it was free. But, people will demand refunds now. So I am struggling to imagine them selling that many LL reservations, but we will see. It is far safer to set it at 25% or so, which generally ensures a short LL line and if there is a momentary glut, which will happen, they can quickly get those LL guests on the ride.

To be clear, my comment about FOP and the next sentence seperated into another paragraph were two unique statements not meant to be read as a single thought. I'm not saying they deliberately intended to mess with guests for profit directly with what has happened there but if you want to talk about that:

You're right, only one of those was true with FOP because paid LL didn't exist when that came out but what did exist was 60+ day FP booking which is where the majority of that attraction's capacity went prior to the park shutdown last year.

Tens of thousands of people did want to ride it but for those who were unable to secure the 60+ day fastpass, there were undoubtedly many days they waited 4+ hours to ride because many others who, all-things-being-equal, would not have been willing to wait even an hour to ride it, were able to get their entire group in front.

The pay-to-play factor was a little more buried but it was still there. Why else would so many people who stay on site be so upset about losing their early access to FP+?

This to me, is just cutting more to the chase.

To be crude, now you don't have to take Disney out for a nice dinner and buy them flowes and act interested in their hobbies and tell them you want kids some day. They don't care about the pretenses, anymore. You just have to pay them to get what you want and they're open with no waiting... er... for... business. :oops:

This ride will have long waits because it is popular. That's a given.

People who want to ride it won't be able to because it's popular and there is limited capacity.

Them clawing back even more of that capacity to provide to people paying the up-charge (and eventually for people staying on the Starcruiser) simply means that average* guests will have even less of a chance to ride it than before, regardless of how long they're willing to wait.

If you think differently, I'm open to having my mind changed and I really would like to be wrong but if you're going to convince me, it'll take more than optimism or ignoring aspects of the reality in an effort to just win a debate.

I'd honestly rather you be right (that's better for all of us, no?) but being right isn't the same thing as winning an argument - please show me how I've got this wrong.

*and when I say "average", I'm not trying to make this a moral argument. Morals are subjective anyway but it does speak to debate about the value being offered to guests who plan trips and decided how to spend their money. I don't think Disney is going to run out of guests due to these kinds of moves but I also don't have to be happy about them doing these sorts of things, do I?

Bob has been on record saying that he thinks 4-6 hour lines are a sign of failure, not success. So whether you think so or not, there is a concern about line length. Plus, a person spending 4 hours in line is lost opportunity for buying a snack, eating a meal, or doing some shopping. It's in Disney's financial interest to have long lines, but not too long.

Regarding capacity - capacity for IAP doesn't have to be that big to make a huge impact on their revenue.

I forget what the actual capacity is rise, but let's say it's 1500/hr. And let's say that they decide to only allocate 25% capacity to IAP. And also let's say that the cost for Rise most days is $20. It will probably be more, but for sake of this example.

Now that ends up being 375 pph who purchase LL for $20, and 4500 in a 12-hour day. That equates, at $20/IAP, to $7500/hr * 12 =$90,000 / day * 365 = 27.375 million a year. Just for rise. Increase to 33% and $25 (which I think is more likely) and you get $54 million. Multiply that to one ride per park (FoP, Tron, Guardians, and Rise) and that's $216M just for those four attractions - not to mention the Genie+ sales (which will be a lot higher) and the second tier IAP attractions.. I suspect that once the two new attractions open, this will be a $500M+ a year revenue stream going forward, and could hit $1B if they build more top tier attractions.

Where it gets interesting -
* Disney has much more of an incentive to keep this attraction operating, as downtime represents lost revenue.
* This may end up leading to longer park hours - as longer hours means more daily revenue from IAP.
* This may also lead to more investment in top tier attractions. What if they can replace KJ in AK with another super-E like FoP/Rise?
Just shows how bad WDW has become. We will either have to pay $125 to ride one ride there or wait 3 hours for that same ride. My kids just said “dad, why we would we go there then? Why don’t we just do an extra day at universal?

And if you went to Uni when Hagrids first opened you would have needed to wait in line for longer than 3 hours or purchase express pass (if they even offered it for Hagrids when it first opened, I can't remember...)

CaptainAmerica

Also, I would be shocked, SHOCKED if we were talking about $5 and $10 for LL for this attraction the majority of the time.

Can you, with a straight face, say that's the range you actually expect to see this one in or are you disingenuously going that low as a tactic to try winning a debate?

For $10, someone like me might be motivated to do it if it meant not waiting 4 hours and I'm kind of a cheapskate (well, relative to Disney fans and Disney's pricing, anyway - a lot of folks thing I'm crazy for spending what I have there in the past, already). If I'm not willing to hold the line (pun intended) at that price point, I'm certain it isn't anywhere near an effective price point because I dipped out of desert parties well before they got to be over $50 a head.
I was just picking round numbers to illustrate a point.

I could have said "Disney would rather have 4,752 people paying $23 per person than 13,662 people paying $8 per person."

My point is simply that they'd rather get fewer people paying higher prices than many people paying lower prices, all other things being equal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom