News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

7am window was open for ~17 seconds.
I’m wondering how much of that increased time is due to locals perhaps not participating as much since schools have started and it’s a quieter time of year.

My hunch has been that demand is probably more equal to supply now and if they switched back to “you have to be in the park to join”, the window would be open for a while and most folks who want it will get it. A part of that is how long the window stays open now at 1pm.

It’s way too easy for a somewhat motivated local to just check for boarding groups at 7am from their home and show up to the park whenever if they have the flexibility. (Not a criticism of anyone just in how the system can be maximized for some)

disneygeek90

I’m wondering how much of that increased time is due to locals perhaps not participating as much since schools have started and it’s a quieter time of year.

My hunch has been that demand is probably more equal to supply now and if they switched back to “you have to be in the park to join”, the window would be open for a while and most folks who want it will get it. A part of that is how long the window stays open now at 1pm.

It’s way too easy for a somewhat motivated local to just check for boarding groups at 7am from their home and show up to the park whenever if they have the flexibility. (Not a criticism of anyone just in how the system can be maximized for some)
Things I think are making an impact
  • Covid
  • Florida Case Count
  • School being back
  • Less schools offering virtual flexibility
  • Working in offices returning/less flexibility to work from "home"
  • Lull before 50th Anniversary
  • Few international guests
  • AP's that were not renewed while others being unable to purchase
  • Cost of flights/hotels back to near "pre covid" $$

wutisgood

• Covid
  • Florida Case Count
  • School being back
Flights are dirt cheap as far as I can see given the rise in numbers and traditionally slow time of year anyways.

Does everyone here live in the area or just vacation this time of year? That's a lot of people trying on one board today.

doctornick

Flights are dirt cheap as far as I can see given the rise in numbers and traditionally slow time of year anyways.

Does everyone here live in the area or just vacation this time of year? That's a lot of people trying on one board today.

I think a lot of "regulars" (but not locals) who go to WDW like to go in late August due to lower crowds. It's a cheap time of year to use DVC for example and many places in the country (especially the Northeast?) don't go back to school until after Labor Day.

Often a lot of internationals - especially from the UK - tend to come as well around this time, but that would obviously be limited right now.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
  • Covid
  • Florida Case Count
  • School being back
Yes, the crowds were super low all week. We have been here since last Thursday, visited all 4 parks at least once and almost every ride has been a walk on or less than 15 min wait. Slinky dog today was about 25 mins and that’s the longest we waited for anything all week (except for one MK bus;)). We did Smugglers Run multiple times at park open last week with no wait. Walked on Flight of Passage with almost no wait. My kids did EE 4 times straight with no wait. Test Track was 7 mins to get to the design room at 3 in the afternoon. Did the left half of MK without waiting more than 10 mins for any ride. I’ve never seen WDW so empty. DHS actually felt a little more crowded today but it’s a small park so it’s easier to feel crowded.

I agree with your reasons. We have been here before in the end of August and the crowds usually do drop off once the Southern schools go back but the foreign tourists pick up which isn’t the case this year. Add to that people waiting for the 50th and also covid impacting both extremes with people cancelling due to high FL cases and others cancelling due to having to wear masks again indoors. Perfect storm for low crowds.

dmw

In the Parks
No
Yes, the crowds were super low all week. We have been here since last Thursday, visited all 4 parks at least once and almost every ride has been a walk on or less than 15 min wait. Slinky dog today was about 25 mins and that’s the longest we waited for anything all week (except for one MK bus;)). We did Smugglers Run multiple times at park open last week with no wait. Walked on Flight of Passage with almost no wait. My kids did EE 4 times straight with no wait. Test Track was 7 mins to get to the design room at 3 in the afternoon. Did the left half of MK without waiting more than 10 mins for any ride. I’ve never seen WDW so empty. DHS actually felt a little more crowded today but it’s a small park so it’s easier to feel crowded.

I agree with your reasons. We have been here before in the end of August and the crowds usually do drop off once the Southern schools go back but the foreign tourists pick up which isn’t the case this year. Add to that people waiting for the 50th and also covid impacting both extremes with people cancelling due to high FL cases and others cancelling due to having to wear masks again indoors. Perfect storm for low crowds.
Just once it would be nice to visit on one of the super low crowd days...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom