News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Missing20K

Flight of passage added a bathroom to the line, why can't Star Wars?
This may be the most loaded question I’ve ever seen about Disney parks. The topics stemming from the question span almost everything single revenue stream that DIS has.

As an aside, it boggles my mind that the answer to a queue so long people needed a restroom break was to just build a restroom, instead of reevaluating how the company designed, built, and operated attractions.

Personally, I would prefer a system where you must be in the park to book a BG (with park admittance 30 min before rides begin operating), and release BG slots in waves every 1-2 hours. If that’s completely unreasonable to local APs, then maybe a limited amount could be reserved for APs to book from home at 7 am, but save the majority for in-park guests.

And I’m aware my preferences have literally zero impact, just had to get that out 😁

disneygeek90

Personally, I would prefer a system where you must be in the park to book a BG (with park admittance 30 min before rides begin operating), and release BG slots in waves every 1-2 hours. If that’s completely unreasonable to local APs, then maybe a limited amount could be reserved for APs to book from home at 7 am, but save the majority for in-park guests.

And I’m aware my preferences have literally zero impact, just had to get that out 😁
I don't think it's unreasonable to ask everyone to be in the park and your solution has some points. That's how it operated the first several months, and even a couple months after covid. The main issue seemed to be that for covid it was encouraging a lot of people to show up at the same time which is not ideal. The reservation system also allowed them flexibility to drop before park hours.

The problem with having so many drops of course is how much faster can time slots possibly be claimed? If we see 90 groups claimed in 8 seconds, how quick would we see 10-20 groups dropped every 1-2 hours? While the actual time for the app to process might be about the same, you would have to be incredibly, incredibly quick.

UNCgolf

I don't think it's unreasonable to ask everyone to be in the park and your solution has some points. That's how it operated the first several months, and even a couple months after covid. The main issue seemed to be that for covid it was encouraging a lot of people to show up at the same time which is not ideal. The reservation system also allowed them flexibility to drop before park hours.

The problem with having so many drops of course is how much faster can time slots possibly be claimed? If we see 90 groups claimed in 8 seconds, how quick would we see 10-20 groups dropped every 1-2 hours? While the actual time for the app to process might be about the same, you would have to be incredibly, incredibly quick.

Requiring everyone to be in the park and then doing a lottery would also be a more equitable solution than the current system, although it has the problem you mentioned of a ton of people showing up early and crowding the entrance.

That would be a tougher solution with the limited park hopping, though. A lot of guests would be pretty unhappy to be stuck at Hollywood Studios until 2 PM if the only reason they went was an attempt at a Rise boarding group.

disneyC97

We were able to do it twice on our recent trip over two days. The first day the ride shut down several times in the morning and early afternoon (there were heavy rains in middle of day which maybe impacted it). We got on mid-afternoon for a BG in the sixties if I recall. We waited about 1/2 hour in the queue and then got held up after we arrived on the star destroyer in a packed/stuffy hallway. Second date was smoother with no waits and an earlier BG. We rode by mid-morning. Everyone loved the attraction from my mom who is 78 to my youngest nephew who is 9. That said, we passed on trying at our third studios day as the whole process and need to build your day around it was a lot. My sister who managed the BG process for our whole party had a friend and her family who didn’t get it the two days we did but were able to on a third day.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
7am slots filled in ~8 seconds.
Got one! My Verizon reception seems spotty this morning, but got one in spite of having to use Pop Century wifi. 😉 (Group 58; I miss the pre-covid system where I kept getting single digit groups, haha)

Probably could have clicked in a second earlier, but didn’t want to risk clicking too soon and have to go back/reload with it being my first run at the new system and the questionable quality hotel internet connection. It’s my gf’s first trip so I just wanted to make sure we got in and she wanted to sleep in anyway, so it ought to work out pretty well timing-wise 😁

Thank you @DCBaker for keeping up with the updates!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom