News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Hawg G

Complain about boarding groups all you want, but understand that standby pass would allow them for the first time to effectively kill a line before the park has closed. This is kind of the same behavior you have now as boarding groups close, but for every ride. But I just want to point out that changing the "lottery" aspect isn't going to add any capacity. At some point, when there are other new and impressive rides that open in the parks, demand will drop at RotR. But for now, and perhaps another year or two, this is the deal. I'd be afraid to move on to standby/fast pass with this ride in the foreseeable future.

Well, Indy opened in 1995, then RotR in 2019, so, how many of use will be too old by then? Although Star Tours was 1987.

And no, FoP isn’t in the same eagle. And it’s problems were from half of it not even opening for months ( years?)

Last edited:

Hawg G

I believe the last ride of RotR's magnitude with Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I recall it might have had 4 hour waits for a while when it opened. I really think folks miss the point on waiting. There is definitely a max folks with wait. 3 or 4 hours is about it. And a big part of that is how much of the queue is shown. If the queue is spilling out of the entrance a good bit, AND it says 3 hours, not many folks will enter that line.

UNCgolf

I believe the last ride of RotR's magnitude with Indiana Jones and the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. I recall it might have had 4 hour waits for a while when it opened. I really think folks miss the point on waiting. There is definitely a max folks with wait. 3 or 4 hours is about it. And a big part of that is how much of the queue is shown. If the queue is spilling out of the entrance a good bit, AND it says 3 hours, not many folks will enter that line.

Flight of Passage still gets 3+ hour waits now.

Hawg G

Flight of Passage still gets 3+ hour waits now.
It gets POSTED 3 hour waits. I find it hard to believe people truly wait 3 hours. Most folks know Disney inflates the numbers. But, then again, all waits are ridiculous now.

But, personally, I wouldn't wait 30 minutes for it.

UNCgolf

It gets POSTED 3 hour waits. I find it hard to believe people truly wait 3 hours. Most folks know Disney inflates the numbers. But, then again, all waits are ridiculous now.

But, personally, I wouldn't wait 30 minutes for it.

I think Disney inflates the numbers, but I don't think they inflate it by more than 15-20 minutes most of the time. Last time I was there, FoP had a posted wait of almost 4 hours.

I would never wait that long for it either but some people do.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
Is this actually true? In order for this to be true, with a pessimistic assumption that Rise can only handle 700 riders an hour (this is taking the lowest hourly capacity number of 1100 that I've found in brief searching and then taking 400 more off to represent a similarly pessimistic estimate of the time it spends broken down), at least 7700 people (assuming 11 operating hours) need to attend Hollywood Studios rope drop and all 7700 of them need to queue for Rise immediately, then queue entrant number 7701 needs to look at the line of 7700 people and decide to get in that line anyway. (This is further assuming that Disney implements the Rise-specific policy of telling everyone still in line at park close to pound sand, rather than simply closing the queue after 7700 people fill it immediately at rope drop in the hypothetical universe where that happens.)

Capacity is only one piece of the puzzle. If the ride was guaranteed (or close thereto) to service 7700 people a day, then, possibly, there are people who would fork over the cash to be #7700 to wait 10 hours to ride one ride. But compounding the problem, as I said in my initial post, is reliability. See, e.g. :

1pm window was open for roughly ~5 seconds - at 1pm, there have been no groups called since just after 10am and Rise is currently still down. The last group called was 22 (41 groups less than yesterday).

If they get through half of normal capacity because the ride is down, then under your assumption, 3850 people would have paid admission and gotten in line to do nothing. The VQ system, flawed as it is, avoids this issue. Maybe you get to ride, maybe you don't. But you can at least do some other things with your time.

Then don’t build the ride. It’s a $150 lottery ticket that you can lose. I’m not a fan of gambling in general, and I certainly don’t want to do it on vacation.
Considering that Spider Man out at DCA uses the same system and they aren’t receiving the amount of complaints the system deserves, this system is probably going to become more common than most want to admit.

That's fine theoretically, but the fact remains they did build the ride, it has its flaws in operations, it is the most breathtaking theme park experience many people (myself included) have ever experienced, and they ain't tearing it down.

Hawg G

I think Disney inflates the numbers, but I don't think they inflate it by more than 15-20 minutes most of the time. Last time I was there, FoP had a posted wait of almost 4 hours.

I would never wait that long for it either but some people do.
110 now, a Monday in the Summer at 3 pm. Smuggler's Run 100. Splash Mountain 105. Slinky 95. Clearly on a normal day, 100-ish minutes is a pretty hard ceiling. I'm sure they were higher on Saturday.

In my opinion, anyone waiting that long for Slinky is just daft. I mean, if you haven't ridden SR, you can't see it from the midway, and the queue is air conditioned. Folks are desperate for entertainment. Fast and Furious is posted 65 right now, so....

UNCgolf

110 now, a Monday in the Summer at 3 pm. Smuggler's Run 100. Splash Mountain 105. Slinky 95. Clearly on a normal day, 100-ish minutes is a pretty hard ceiling. I'm sure they were higher on Saturday.

In my opinion, anyone waiting that long for Slinky is just daft. I mean, if you haven't ridden SR, you can't see it from the midway, and the queue is air conditioned. Folks are desperate for entertainment. Fast and Furious is posted 65 right now, so....

I wouldn't want to wait that long for any ride, but the line would need to be about a third of that max for me to be willing to wait for Slinky or Smugglers Run.

SJN1279

Hit it right at 7am, and didn't get it this morning.

very annoying, and something they frankly need to change.

even at Universal, if you stay on property, you get early access to Hagrid before the virtual line opens.

Disappointed in Disney a bit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom