News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

WHEREVER ELSE YOU HAPPEN TO BE NEARBY

What exactly does that mean? As a local who lives 30 miles away, does that constitute “nearby”?

I can’t get into DHS parking lot 3 hours ahead of park opening, so not sure how this works?!?!?!

DCBaker

Premium Member

What exactly does that mean? As a local who lives 30 miles away, does that constitute “nearby”?

I can’t get into DHS parking lot 3 hours ahead of park opening, so not sure how this works?!?!?!

I don't think it has been officially clarified if "wherever else nearby" means you must within a certain distance. I doubt they would be restricting access by proximity to the park.

Here's what a reporter for the Orlando Sentinel has to say -

RichKermitFan

One would assume “nearby” just means you’re within a reasonable distance to actually come to the park that day. My guess is, it’s intended to mean that people across the world aren’t able to grab them

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'd expect many grumpy and tired people will wake up at 6:55am for a chance to get a boarding pass. Once these grumpy and tired people (who don't want to wake up at 6:55am on a vacation and when DHS does open up until 10am) don't get a pass, they will be even more frustrated. Make the distribution time to at least 8am, but preferably 9am.
At least for the CM's sake they wont be in the firing line when it doesn't happen.

KevinPage

I don't think it has been officially clarified if "wherever else nearby" means you must within a certain distance. I doubt they would be restricting access by proximity to the park.

Here's what a reporter for the Orlando Sentinel has to say -

It should be limited to whoever had a Park Pass that day. But that won’t stop people across the country from just booking stuff for s and giggles and reserving something.

But if you are flying from the Midwest and plan to be at the park by 10am, how does the app take that into consideration? You could be hundred of miles away.

Some people might want to drive 4 hours for a day trip, so is that close enough? If you need to be “on property” that would make it harder for locals, who are the bulk of visitors (at this time).

We have a PPR for 11/07 so I get to see 4 days on how this works. You know there will be at least a few “flies in the ointment” 😂

@Joel , hold me, I’m 😱

UNCgolf

It should be limited to whoever had a Park Pass that day. But that won’t stop people across the country from just booking stuff for ****s and giggles and reserving something.

But if you are flying from the Midwest and plan to be at the park by 10am, how does the app take that into consideration? You could be hundred of miles away.

Some people might want to drive 4 hours for a day trip, so is that close enough? If you need to be “on property” that would make it harder for locals, who are the bulk of visitors (at this time).

We have a PPR for 11/07 so I get to see 4 days on how this works. You know there will be at least a few “flies in the ointment” 😂

@Joel , hold me, I’m 😱

I don't think that will be a problem. You have to have a park reservation, and you have to have a ticket to have a park reservation, so it's not like a bunch of people can just randomly try to get a boarding group on a whim and then show up if they do.

YodaMan

Honestly this is great news. Sure, if you hate mornings then maybe 7 am is rough, but like others said you can just roll back over and fall asleep a few minutes later after you get your boarding group.

This is a very important part of mitigating crowd control and another essential domino they’ve toppled. They’ve increased ride capacity with the plexiglass, increased queue space by taking over the Muppets queue, and now spread out crowds by not pressuring anyone to be at the park at rope drop. Next step will likely be increasing overall park capacity and increasing park hours.

Ldno

I'd expect many grumpy and tired people will wake up at 6:55am for a chance to get a boarding pass. Once these grumpy and tired people (who don't want to wake up at 6:55am on a vacation and when DHS does open up until 10am) don't get a pass, they will be even more frustrated. Make the distribution time to at least 8am, but preferably 9am.

no different from people who wake up at 6am cst to snag a dinning reservation.

I am all for it.

Like i mentioned above, it’s do able, now against all advice given it behoves you to be on your wifi than rely on your cellphone depending how your coverage is at your house or hotel.

So it all depends. i am used to waking up super early on vacation anyways, i was there at 7am when dhs opened at 8am back in spring break.

If i wanted to be early in the parking lot by 9:00am i would had to be up by 7:00am so no difference there. The process does work, just curious on how they aim to do the whole thing starting next week.

Gillyanne

I'd totally get up, get a boarding group, and go back to bed!

That's what I do for FP+, set the alarm for about 5 min before, just enough time to unlock the phone and get into MDE, and once I get through I roll back over. As an AP / Non resort stay I only have 1 day to do at a time anyway.

I would think it is to avoid the entire day's worth of guests to all cram into the park at the same time, and then once the BG quick-lottery is over, then overwhelm the lines of all the rides.

There is no need to 'rope drop' just for RotR. And it will stop the long queues for Guest Relations.

@Clamman73 posted screenshots of the email above, but they definitely seem to be trying to steer people away from DHS at opening if they don't get that early BG (or one at all at the first drop)

• For people who receive a later boarding time or are waiting for the second round of virtual queue inventory, we encourage them to take their time in getting to the park. Go back to sleep, have breakfast, check out the pool and relax a bit before journeying over to Disney's Hollywood Studios.

ParentsOf4

Maybe the 7am is to try and have it not fill up with 10 seconds? Perhaps they hope that there will be less initial demand at 7am.
Maybe the thinking is this gives you time to do this first thing, before your day starts? Before breakfast, before showers, before heading over. I'm usually sitting on the balcony at 7 AM having a leisurely cup of coffee.

BWV.jpg

BLT.jpg

BCV.jpg

AKV.jpg

PVB.jpg

VGF.jpg

It even gives you time to change plans (change parks?) if your decision to visit DHS was hanging on ROTR.

Twirlnhurl

Does this mean that the best strategy is to make your park reservations for DHS for every day of your vacation? If you get a low boarding group, go to DHS and set new park reservations for the other days. Otherwise, change the same day park reservation and try again the next day?

Clamman73

Does this mean that the best strategy is to make your park reservations for DHS for every day of your vacation? If you get a low boarding group, go to DHS and set new park reservations for the other days. Otherwise, change the same day park reservation and try again the next day?
Actually an interesting strategy...could work if you‘re confident it’s a low enough crowd level in general so there would be Park availability still on the same day for the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom