News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

disneygeek90

I love when people say negative things about a system but are unable to offer a logical alternative. Imagine if you had gotten in line for hours and then the ride goes down and you’re forced to exit. You’d be upset. Or imagine a scenario like Hagrids where you physically waited in line for 6+ hours only for the ride to go down or the park to close and be told to leave. Like seriously, it’s probably the best way to combat many logistical issues of having Guests standing physically in line for an entire day.
I think what the OP is expressing dissatisfaction with is the seemingly random group given at open, rather than first come first serve how it used to be. Not BG’s themselves.

I currently see benefits of both sides but neither is perfect.

DarkMetroid567

Days like this make it evident that Virtual Queue is still a bit of a failure.

You have to wonder if it prolonged some of the chaos. Has any ride opening been this chaotic one month later? I mean, the amount of people who show up at park open would no doubt be smaller.

DarkMetroid567

Might have been a perfect system for you. It was most assuredly NOT a perfect system for WDW Operations, or for DHS and Transportation CMs. The current system may not be ideal, but it's sustainable, which the "random unannounced opening times based on guesses about how early guests will try to show up today" system was not.

It was chaos trying to explain this system to guests.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Not a good day at all...

1578100347280.png

BrianLo

To add another anecdote, a friend of mine attempted to ride today. I knew it would be chaos because holiday crowds are still here and AP blackouts are over so I didn’t bother.

They parked at 5:00 am, were in the park by 6:25. Her app wouldn’t load anything, and the passes were gone three minutes after being released.

So you preferred first come first served after all? I’m so confused what your position is other than disallowing a line to form early.

The only way people will not line up is if there is no advantage to lineup. It’s either a lottery or a line. I always preferred the line

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

People are complaining about ops today saying it's a lousy system, but I maintain the virtual queue is still more desirable than getting into an actual physical queue at 7 AM and not getting on the attraction in 15 hours. There are multiple things that could be suggested as alternatives, but it seems pretty clear that any of the first come, first serve options are out. Disney doesn't want people lining up at 4 in the morning.

ToTBellHop

You have to wonder if it prolonged some of the chaos. Has any ride opening been this chaotic one month later? I mean, the amount of people who show up at park open would no doubt be smaller.
I don’t think so at all. The BG system is the best option given that breakdowns are still common. The problem is that the ride opened too soon, but for folks like me, who have been lucky enough to ride, I think it was worth the fatigue and (short-lived) stress. As someone with children, rope-dropping would’ve been a nightmare.

Sorry for those who went today. It was a high-demand day and the ride was irritable.

bubbles1812

I don’t think so at all. The BG system is the best option given that breakdowns are still common. The problem is that the ride opened too soon, but for folks like me, who have been lucky enough to ride, I think it was worth the fatigue and (short-lived) stress. As someone with children, rope-dropping would’ve been a nightmare.

Sorry for those who went today. It was a high-demand day and the ride was irritable.
Agree here. Rode twice the week it opened and even with the breakdowns (when I say I rode twice, what I really mean is that I experienced the pre shows 4x and the actual ride 2.75x) and it was still worth it me. The ride was just that great.

The BGs seem overall to be the fairest option. First come first serve still honestly applies but in a much more controlled fashion where people aren’t stuck in a queue for hours. And safer for all involved.

The ride will get to more consistency eventually. I’m sure DL is loving the data out of WDW.

DarkMetroid567

Agree here. Rode twice the week it opened and even with the breakdowns (when I say I rode twice, what I really mean is that I experienced the pre shows 4x and the actual ride 2.75x) and it was still worth it me. The ride was just that great.

The BGs seem overall to be the fairest option. First come first serve still honestly applies but in a much more controlled fashion where people aren’t stuck in a queue for hours. And safer for all involved.

The ride will get to more consistency eventually. I’m sure DL is loving the data out of WDW.

I don’t expect DL’s virtual queue to last nearly as long, considering their version of the ride apparently works. Guest Flow (and virtual queue) was actually planned to end on January 3rd, but it’s been extended according to some management because the ride is still “not ready” to handle standby.

I figured at this stage, a long standby line would be enough to deter guests. I could totally be wrong, but that’s how every other ride opening in history has worked.

TrainsOfDisney

The only thing I can think of that would possibly work better is to do an actual digital lottery. If you are scanned into the park you can enter and be called for a boarding group.

The current system worked for me and only cost me a little bit of sleep and the annoyance of the lack of crowd control on Disney’s part at opening. If D23 does it better, that’s saying a lot. (I never felt like I was in a dangerous over-crowded situation at D23... i did at dhs.)

bubbles1812

The only thing I can think of that would possibly work better is to do an actual digital lottery. If you are scanned into the park you can enter and be called for a boarding group.

The current system worked for me and only cost me a little bit of sleep and the annoyance of the lack of crowd control on Disney’s part at opening. If D23 does it better, that’s saying a lot. (I never felt like I was in a dangerous over-crowded situation at D23... i did at dhs.)
So interesting how experiences vary... I felt more unsafe booking it to FOP with the power walkers to sprinters going by and then subsequently being held at the bridge than I did at DHS. We were right near the band readers both times though so didn’t really feel the crush of the crowd.

Kinda goes back to that 8 am opening where they actually opened at 630 am though, which we experienced with ROTR Ride #1. At a certain point, there are just too many people and Disney has to start letting people through security or the turnstiles.

TrainsOfDisney

So interesting how experienced vary... I felt more unsafe booking it to FOP with the power walkers to sprinters going by and then subsequently being held at the bridge than I did at DHS. We were right near the band readers both times though so didn’t really feel the crush of the crowd.

Kinda goes back to that 8 am opening where they actually opened at 630 am though, which we experienced with ROTR Ride #1. At a certain point, there are just too many people and Disney has to start letting people through security or the turnstiles.

The first morning was a 6 am morning and it was fine, the 7 am morning on the 1st I had major problems. A girl threw up next to me from the claustrophobic conditions, no joke she was close enough that I had to check if I had any on me once I got out of the crowd.)

I was physically pushed into the wall of the gift shop at the sidewalk to street choke point and this was a good 10 minutes after I got my rise reservation thinking it had calmed down.

DarkMetroid567

One thing I will say is that I do, for the most part, believe that Virtual Queue is inherently anti-guest.

It’s easy for cast members and Disney bloggers to insist that the system works well because we have great knowledge of it, but finding that knowledge if you’re not in-the-know isn’t as easy to some older folks or foreigners. You won’t see any warnings on it when planning your vacation through Disney; you basically either find out about in on twitter beforehand, or find out when you arrive in Orlando. In fact, I was trying to help a guest join a boarding group through My Disney Experience on her web browser. Turns out, it doesn’t work at all. Pressing on Rise doesn’t even mention the virtual queue. You have to use the app, but how many middle-aged fathers are going to be checking their Disney World app beforehand? Japanese guests have to go to guest relations because their version of My Disney Experience won’t allow them to join a boarding group, either.

Standing at the Rise entrance and holding the sign, we often knew that when a foreigner was coming up, they’d be turned away. I don’t actually believe there are any resources available concerning boarding groups in a language other than English. Thus, you’ll see a lot of the Latino guests throwing fits at the guest relations cast members nearby.

I honestly believe that Disney has not said much about the system on purpose. By limiting access and overall knowledge, they ensure that capacity isn’t reached as quickly. Lately, as word has travelled further and further around, we’ve seen boarding groups fill faster and faster. TDO screwed up and opened the ride when it wasn’t ready, and with that in mind, virtual queue has worked well. But with more and more guests becoming knowledgeable, at what point does virtual queue become unsustainable?

TrainsOfDisney

One thing I will say is that I do, for the most part, believe that Virtual Queue is inherently anti-guest.

It’s easy for cast members and Disney bloggers to insist that the system works well because we have great knowledge of it, but finding that knowledge if you’re not in-the-know isn’t as easy to some older folks or foreigners. You won’t see any warnings on it when planning your vacation through Disney; you basically either find out about in on twitter beforehand, or find out when you arrive in Orlando. In fact, I was trying to help a guest join a boarding group through My Disney Experience on her web browser. Turns out, it doesn’t work at all. Pressing on Rise doesn’t even mention the virtual queue. Japanese guests have to go to guest relations because their version of My Disney Experience won’t allow them to join a boarding group, either.

Standing at the Rise entrance and holding the sign, we often knew that when a foreigner was coming up, they’d be turned away. I don’t actually believe there are any resources available concerning boarding groups in a language other than English. Thus, you’ll see a lot of the Latino guests throwing fits at the guest relations cast members nearby.

I honestly believe that Disney has not said much about the system on purpose. By limiting access and overall knowledge, they ensure that capacity isn’t reached as quickly. Lately, as word has travelled further and further around, we’ve seen boarding groups fill faster and faster. TDO screwed up and opened the ride when it wasn’t ready, and with that in mind, virtual queue has worked well. But with more and more guests becoming knowledgeable, at what point does virtual queue become unsustainable?

I totally agree. If I didn’t check this site and blogs I would have had no way of knowing how to ride the ride. Could they have opened the ride to Disney resort guests only? The hotels were already fully booked for Christmas / new year’s so it’s not like they would have been doing it to increase bookings.

I would have never been able to ride it if I didn’t check this site and the blogs and have an updated iPhone, etc

bubbles1812

The first morning was a 6 am morning and it was fine, the 7 am morning on the 1st I had major problems. A girl threw up next to me from the claustrophobic conditions, no joke she was close enough that I had to check if I had any on me once I got out of the crowd.)

I was physically pushed into the wall of the gift shop at the sidewalk to street choke point and this was a good 10 minutes after I got my rise reservation thinking it had calmed down.
My mother’s determination to get to Starbucks as quickly as possible kept us ahead of the 7 am crowd. 😂

There were definitely more people there in a shorter period of time once they started adjusting the park hours. We were in Group 8 and then Group 6 to give you context on how close we really were to the front. But I still have never seen my mama move so fast for coffee. 🤣 I think she would have been satisfied with one ROTR ride around while I wanted seconds. I guess she loves me 😁

I am sorry for your experience though. That does sound scary.

disneygeek90

Hagrids is down much more often and they’ve been open since the summer, this is nothing compared to that.

VQ didn’t fail today, if anything it saved thousands of people hours and hours of standing in a line all day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom