News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

el_super

People aren't upset the didn't get a pass. They're upset due to misinformation -- deliberate or otherwise -- that removed the opportunity to get a pass.

I think this is the disconnect. The information being provided/miscommunicated (park opening) isn't having a direct impact on whether people are getting passes or not. If Disney is communicating that the park opens at 8, and 10,000 people show up prior to 7, it literally doesnt matter any longer what time the park opens. This passes are already gone.

Disney can't communicate what time they think their guests are going to start lining up. They're not mind readers (I hope).

disneygeek90

Don’t misinterpret this, because I think ROTR is fantastic.

But...over time...the linear storytelling will come back to bite it. Star Tours 1.0 suffered the same fate once the shiny tech wasn’t special anymore, hence why WDI and Lucasfilm randomized the sequences for 2.0.

Other attractions with linear storylines usually include enough “cocktail party” atmosphere to round out the experience. Splash, Indy, and Dinosaur are good examples.

Combined with its 18 minute time, I wonder if ROTR will eventually come to feel like Test Track 1.0, where the pre-ride video was an annoyance to be endured.

Again—ROTR looks incredible just the same.
The ROTR preshow is unlike any other. It’s the first preshow that I’ve felt is actually an extension of the ride, rather than a time eater. To compare it to a test track pre-ride video is a complete insult.

ThistleMae

Originally I thought having EMH would increase the chance for on site guests to get a boarding group. I know it's not available to ride at opening of EMH but as soon as those folks enter the park, they qualify for a BG. With the general population being able to also enter at random times, including during or before EMH, it negates the advantage for on site guests, which I thought was part of the perks of being an on site guest. It all sounds kind of crazy, especially for us planners.

AshaNeOmah

Originally I thought having EMH would increase the chance for on site guests to get a boarding group. I know it's not available to ride at opening of EMH but as soon as those folks enter the park, they qualify for a BG. With the general population being able to also enter at random times, including during or before EMH, it negates the advantage for on site guests, which I thought was part of the perks of being an on site guest. It all sounds kind of crazy, especially for us planners.

I'll say it again, it's irresponsible and negligent to guests paying the premium of staying on-site. Those are the #1 guests Disney should be trying to please. Not having the Extra EMH for this is looking worse daily, especially after the difference in reviews between MF:SR and RotR.

EricsBiscuit

It’s pathetic they can’t get more than 10k ppl thru a day. 60+ yrs of experience and they design a ride w a thrc of like 1800 and get just over half that? Amazing ride, poor capacity and ops.

disneygeek90

It’s pathetic they can’t get more than 10k ppl thru a day. 60+ yrs of experience and they design a ride w a thrc of like 1800 and get just over half that? Amazing ride, poor capacity and ops.
After being on the ride it’s not hard to see why Star Tours has a bigger capacity. This is far more complicated than any other attraction I’ve ever seen.

Mouse Trap

:rolleyes:

I remember when I was RIPPED for criticizing Universal for being ill-prepared when Gringotts opened. Apparently it’s a whole different story when Disney opens a groundbreaking attraction.

raven

So my friend finally just got off the ride. I asked if it was worth over 12 hours of hassle and finding diversions outside of the park to get away from crowds and running property until their time a lot came up. We always judge the ride on how long you would wait to ride again. His answer was “maybe an hour, nothing more though.”

Disney Analyst

So my friend finally just got off the ride. I asked if it was worth over 12 hours of hassle and finding diversions outside of the park to get away from crowds and running property until their time a lot came up. We always judge the ride on how long you would wait to ride again. His answer was “maybe an hour, nothing more though.”

That seems high to me haha. Most people that ride a ride always have a number under an hour I find. Specially regular park goers.

I wouldn’t wait more then an hour for any ride, but most times it’s the only option.

TrojanUSC

Baffled how people can defend Disney in this whole thing... If your entire communications strategy to guests is that everyone will have a fair chance with boarding groups at 8am, that's when you enable the system. Not secretly before, so that those who planned their entire morning around being in the park by 8am are left out for the day. Imagine you're a parent on the last day of their trip whose kid loves Star Wars - you do everything Disney has asked you to do, only to find out they lied to you about what time to be there. It's wholly unfair. The park is not at capacity at 8, regardless of what time they actually opened, there's plenty of room to let everyone in (including EMH guests) who have arrived before 8am, giving everyone a fair shake at the boarding group process.

Simply open the park at the specified EMH time and give out wristbands to those eligible so the attractions CMs can know who can ride. Whenever the park duty manager decides the crowds out front are too great, they can start letting day guests in, but those without wristbands can enjoy the park, have a coffee but not take advantage of the EMH attraction access. Then everyone, regardless of their resort status, gets a fair chance at boarding groups. This is not rocket science.

Last edited:

RonAnnArbor

The issue today was non resort guests thinking that they would somehow get a spot in the queue even though there was two hours of EMH guests ahead of them. This is no different than resort guests getting dining and FP reservations before non resort guest. Staying on property should have its benefits. A resort guest who gets up early for EMH, should have a better chance than a local AP, or an off site visitor.

As resort guests, we scanned in at 7am today, and were told that we could get a boarding group at 745. We still checked MDE every few minutes and got group 22 at about 720 am. We did TSMM twice, and star tours once, left the park and had breakfast, and came back about 1pm and did ROTR. The virtual queue was much better than a 6 hour stand in line wait.

We will be there early tomorrow.
Glad you got to ride. We were also there this morning and checking the app every minute and when the app opened boarding groups at 7:15 it was impossible to access the app without it crashing on ANY of our six phones, and we did NOT get a boarding group even though we were in the parking lot at 4 am. Fortunately, as AP locals we were home and I was back in bed by 7:50 am. I won't be going back for this ride even though I go to a park or two every week and have for years. BTW EMH does not currently apply to this ride. Everyone in the park (or parking lot if you don't feel like going through the bag scan and wait in line process) is eligible to join boarding groups as soon as they are released. They've been random every day - today 7:15 was the earliest they have ever done that. We did an estimated count -- at 7 am there were about 8000 people waiting to get in. This doesn't count the EMH folks already in. So if there are 12,000 people all trying to get a boarding group that allows access for about 1200 people a day, you can sort of see the problem they have here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom