News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

dmw

In the Parks
No
Yep I didn't get it. Imagine having guests pay over 100 for entry, and not giving everyone an opportunity to ride the park's headliner attraction 1.5 years after it opened.

A major failure on Disney's part.
It has already been discussed that it is not possible for every paying guest to ride, even with full capacity. But... I do agree with the sentiments that on-site guests should get the perk of being able to try for the VQ ahead of all other guests.

Dave630

There should also be a way to guarantee someone staying on property for a full week with a 5 day or longer ticket gets a boarding group. There should be an advantage to forking over that much money.
There is...WDW could schedule everything for you once you arrive at the property. They can tell you which park to visit on which day and then schedule time slots for each ride. There is advantages to this, but most people may not want to be told what to do and where to go while on vacation.

In the Parks
Yes
The VQ system, flawed as it is, avoids this issue. Maybe you get to ride, maybe you don't. But you can at least do some other things with your time.
I simply struggle to believe that people who enter Rise's line become hostages to the sunk cost fallacy and every single one would refuse to leave even if the ride goes down, or that Disney would not simply dump the queue should the ride in fact go down. I think Rise would be the only ride on property to regularly post 150~180 minute standby waits, and I think it's fine to give people the option to choose to wait that out.

I don't believe in the common refrain that "people would just get in line for 10 hours and do nothing else and be mad about it" - there are simply not enough people rope dropping and not enough people entering the park at posted open to fill the queue to 10 hours by 9:25 AM. Even if there were, exceptionally long waits are their own deterrence and I struggle to believe that there are enough diehards who are unable/unwilling to arrive at the park early to stretch to the line to even 4 hours, nevermind 10+. Even if there was somebody who waited in line for 4 hours only to find the ride goes down just before they get on, they both still have the rest of the day to do other things and could be taken care of by guest services granting compensation commensurate with how long the line was and how deep into it guests were at the time.

Personally, I like the boarding groups - in theory. The lottery issue is largely due to the fact that there is zero commitment or time investment needed to attempt to join the queue as well as due to roughly half the queue capacity being made available immediately. Those are both resolvable problems: the former by requiring you to physically be present at the ride when the queue opens (with the rest of the park instead of at 7) and the latter by only releasing boarding groups in waves of 5 on the hour plus an additional boarding group whenever an already called boarding group is fully processed (essentially allowing more seats to become available randomly throughout the day.)

But it irks me when the argument is made that a physical standby queue would also somehow be instantly 10 hours long 7 seconds after opening. It doesn't work that way. It physically cannot work that way.

Hawg G

I simply struggle to believe that people who enter Rise's line become hostages to the sunk cost fallacy and every single one would refuse to leave even if the ride goes down, or that Disney would not simply dump the queue should the ride in fact go down. I think Rise would be the only ride on property to regularly post 150~180 minute standby waits, and I think it's fine to give people the option to choose to wait that out.

I don't believe in the common refrain that "people would just get in line for 10 hours and do nothing else and be mad about it" - there are simply not enough people rope dropping and not enough people entering the park at posted open to fill the queue to 10 hours by 9:25 AM. Even if there were, exceptionally long waits are their own deterrence and I struggle to believe that there are enough diehards who are unable/unwilling to arrive at the park early to stretch to the line to even 4 hours, nevermind 10+. Even if there was somebody who waited in line for 4 hours only to find the ride goes down just before they get on, they both still have the rest of the day to do other things and could be taken care of by guest services granting compensation commensurate with how long the line was and how deep into it guests were at the time.

Personally, I like the boarding groups - in theory. The lottery issue is largely due to the fact that there is zero commitment or time investment needed to attempt to join the queue as well as due to roughly half the queue capacity being made available immediately. Those are both resolvable problems: the former by requiring you to physically be present at the ride when the queue opens (with the rest of the park instead of at 7) and the latter by only releasing boarding groups in waves of 5 on the hour plus an additional boarding group whenever an already called boarding group is fully processed (essentially allowing more seats to become available randomly throughout the day.)

But it irks me when the argument is made that a physical standby queue would also somehow be instantly 10 hours long 7 seconds after opening. It doesn't work that way. It physically cannot work that way.

Nailed it. Standby would not be more than 4 hours. Although they would have to grant bathroom exits. And just have cutoff points in the queue for what your reward is if the line is flushed.

Of course you other idea is pretty close to Universals Virtual Queue. Having multiple times to win would be much better. And I really think many folks would leave the park early afternoon if they hadn’t won yet. They would either do the stupid “relax at the pool” and then return, or simply park hop. That would increase chances for those that arrive later, and hold out.

Regardless the current system is broken, and will not get any better come October 1st.

SJN1279

Nailed it. Standby would not be more than 4 hours. Although they would have to grant bathroom exits. And just have cutoff points in the queue for what your reward is if the line is flushed.

Of course you other idea is pretty close to Universals Virtual Queue. Having multiple times to win would be much better. And I really think many folks would leave the park early afternoon if they hadn’t won yet. They would either do the stupid “relax at the pool” and then return, or simply park hop. That would increase chances for those that arrive later, and hold out.

Regardless the current system is broken, and will not get any better come October 1st.
Flight of passage added a bathroom to the line, why can't Star Wars?

dmw

In the Parks
No
The silence of replies on this post speaks volumes
I have no problem with locals riding it as much as they want. They purchased annual passes which gives them the right to ride whatever they want as much as they want. But, I'll say it again: I think on-site guests (with or without APs) deserve first dibs at a VQ as a perk.

BTW, we do owe thanks to the locals who ride it so much and share the secrets of getting the boarding groups.

Goodeone

I've been trying to do the testing from home, if I get the notification saying that I don't have a park reservation and to remove myself from the group, does that mean I would have gotten a spot?

DCBaker

Premium Member
This weekend at Disneyland I was group 105 and got called at around noon. Is the numbering system different or does WDW just get way fewer guests on?

That was was poor operational day. I do think you are right though and it does seem that RoTR West may have less people per boarding group.

Also take this into account from @AL2000HS -

In CA they have been running with 30+ vehicles. I don't think FL has reached that high yet.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

The silence of replies on this post speaks volumes
I mean, can't the same be said for every ride? Locals (that enjoy this stuff) are at the parks more, and they're riding more attractions in a month than some ride in two years. It is what it is. I can say that the "local effect," at least in Orlando, is blown out of proportion on these boards. Most people that live here and especially those that grew up here don't visit the parks from one year to the next.

Even those that have suggested capping AP rides on ROTR to once a week would make a difference is laughable. If you think most locals are riding this every week you're delusional. I've been on it 50 something times and it's been operating for ~17 months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom