News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Darth Snips

Boarding groups were seen as a better method than standby and fastpass, not as a solution to reliability issues.
Wait, so the current plan of management is to keep BGs indefinitely, regardless of reliability improvements? Or do you mean that they’re viewed as a better method for COVID-era crowds?

Darth Snips

Boarding groups aren’t due to reliability. If it’s a way of handling anticipated high demand new attraction crowds.
Interesting. I wonder if we should expect them on the likes of Tron and Guardians then. I also wonder what that means for Rise’s eventual transition from BGs to standby. If they’re waiting for crowds to go down for Rise anytime soon, then we’re all gonna be waiting a while.

gerarar

Premium Member
Sounds great. So is that meaning the 7am window for boarding groups generally only has boarding groups from between about 9am-2pm return times?
Yup, typically the 7am drop distributes BGs up to the 90s. However by the 1pm drop they're usually at BG 60 or similar.

muteki

Looks like they had technical issues today as I was getting a “not in park” message for a good minute and a half.
This happened to me. Support said sorry try at 1 x_x. Got group 141 at 1pm, then dumped out 30-40 minutes later.

Edit: so with the added capacity this week I was able to swap one of my park passes on Friday for HS, got BG 51 at 7am, and was on the ride without issue around 11 or so, whew. Next trip if this is still the situation I will know in advance that the only way to ride is by planning on having as many HS says on my calendar as possible.

Last edited:

FRD714

This happened to me. Support said sorry try at 1 x_x. Got group 141 at 1pm, then dumped out 30-40 minutes later.
That’s unfortunate. I get that there’s not much they can do but that’s not fair to everyone that was on at 7 and got that error. I stuck it out long enough to eventually see it work but the average person who isn’t familiar with this system probably gave up after the first attempt.

Giss Neric

If Fastpass is going to return this year then I don't think virtual queues are needed for Ratatouille, Tron or Guardians.
If Fastpass is obsolete, then probably virtual queues are going to be in effect.

I prefer no Fastpass but also there were way less people to deal with so standby lines were tolerable. I just don't know if standby will be tolerable if the parks goes back to 80% to 100%.

fjreed

I have two questions about the process to get a boarding group. We are a family of four going in May.

1: Should all four of us be trying to get a group at the same time or just 1 of us?

2: Better luck on Disney Wi-Fi or Verizon data?

rustincohle

I have two questions about the process to get a boarding group. We are a family of four going in May.

1: Should all four of us be trying to get a group at the same time or just 1 of us?

All four should try. I think most people have better luck using their data rather than the Wi-Fi.

Darstarr

In the Parks
No

1. Disney’s official stance is one should try because they like to blame their glitches on multiple people attempting. However, have multiple people attempt anyway.
2. If you are in your room and have good wifi use that. Now that people are more spread out across the resort (country) wifi no longer seems to be the problem (unless you are staying at the Poly which has horrible wifi!)

Good luck!

oskeres

7am slots filled in ~8 seconds.
This was my first time attempting for my family on a short Disney trip and unfortunately we didn’t get it and probably won’t have an opportunity at 1pm due to our 1-year old’s nap time.

Unsure when we’ll be back but man, I wish they did a lottery system. I swear I completed the steps within 6 seconds, according to my watch synced to global time. But I can see how this just rewards veterans as a slight delay in finger tapping is all it means for you not getting selected.

Either way, appreciate everyone’s help and all the info here.

DCBaker

Premium Member
This was my first time attempting for my family on a short Disney trip and unfortunately we didn’t get it and probably won’t have an opportunity at 1pm due to our 1-year old’s nap time.

Unsure when we’ll be back but man, I wish they did a lottery system. I swear I completed the steps within 6 seconds, according to my watch synced to global time. But I can see how this just rewards veterans as a slight delay in finger tapping is all it means for you not getting selected.

Either way, appreciate everyone’s help and all the info here.
As long as you have tapped past the turnstiles and into the park before 1pm, you can catch the 1pm drop from anywhere. You don't need to be in the park - try again if you can!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom