News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Never said all slots wouldn't fill. It will just cause guests to have other options. Opening opportunities for others.

As I’ve already stated - The park reservation system already prevents anyone who does not have DHS as their Park Pass for the day from being able to access RotR boarding groups. You could have 100 other attractions with boarding groups on the other 3 parks, it wouldn’t affect demand for RotR boarding groups one iota. You can’t park hop to DHS and try to get a boarding group. Nothing they are building will come close to the demand for RotR.

nickys

Premium Member
Since all guests would have the option of one of the 'Big 4' each day it would open up opportunities for everyone that wants to have that chance. Of course it wouldn't be mandatory.

Ops would open Fast Pass and/or standby once BGs are fulfilled. They can balance this on a day to day, season to season basis to best accomplish the goal of providing the best experience. Simple really.

Sadly, I'm not sure RotR will ever be anything but boarding groups only. The other three attractions should have enough throughput to offer limited fastpass and standby later in the day. Though BGs would be the only guarantee of a ride.
But my point is that guests would have the option of choosing one of the Big 4 each day whether using FPs, BGs or stand-by only. So what exactly is the benefit of having BGs for each of them over the old FP system?

Let me try it another way. The FP+ system would only have allowed one to be pre-booked in advance, because you could only choose them in a single park at your 60 or 30 day mark. But it has the advantage of also allowing people who couldn’t get an FP to rope drop and get in line early, for example. Or join a 3 hour line if they so wanted.

The current BG system does not let you do that. It is a BG or nothing. Why is that better?

jt04

As I’ve already stated - The park reservation system already prevents anyone who does not have DHS as their Park Pass for the day from being able to access RotR boarding groups. You could have 100 other attractions with boarding groups on the other 3 parks, it wouldn’t affect demand for RotR boarding groups one iota. You can’t park hop to DHS and try to get a boarding group. Nothing they are building will come close to the demand for RotR.

I've addressed these concerns a few times for instance post #12915. I've stated that RotR will possibly always be BG only. What I believe a likely cure (of several steps) is to shift repeat riders to other attractions in other parks. Thereby opening opportunities for others for RotR. It can't be made any more clear than that.

Adding hard ticket events would be another step.

Limiting AP and day use guests to one BG per week or month is yet another.

The fix will be through changes like this.

As stated before, WDW is always changing procedures and that will obviously continue.

Last edited:

jt04

But my point is that guests would have the option of choosing one of the Big 4 each day whether using FPs, BGs or stand-by only. So what exactly is the benefit of having BGs for each of them over the old FP system?

Let me try it another way. The FP+ system would only have allowed one to be pre-booked in advance, because you could only choose them in a single park at your 60 or 30 day mark. But it has the advantage of also allowing people who couldn’t get an FP to rope drop and get in line early, for example. Or join a 3 hour line if they so wanted.

The current BG system does not let you do that. It is a BG or nothing. Why is that better?

One thing is certain, they are never going back to the old system. So please offer your best ideas to make the situation better for everyone. Day use, once in a lifetime foreign travelers, those who can only visit once or twice while their children are young and finally AP passholders who take advantage of all the loopholes at the expense of the former. Constructive criticism is always of value.

We're all ears 🐇

PS- Martin, I think, would suggest going back to all standby queues. I can't argue with that logic.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I've addressed these concerns a few times for instance post #12915. I've stated that RotR will possibly always be BG only. What I believe a likely cure (of several steps) is to shift repeat riders to other attractions in other parks. Thereby opening opportunities for others for RotR. It can't be made any more clear than that.

Adding hard ticket events would be another step.

Limiting AP and day use guests to one BG per week or month is yet another.

The fix will be through changes like this.

As stated before, WDW is always changing procedures and that will obviously continue.

You won’t shift demand for the single best attraction built at WDW in well over 2 decades to other parks by offering boarding groups elsewhere. You also cannot tell guests, “Sorry, you got a boarding group, you’re now banned from getting a boarding group again for ## of days” without destroying goodwill and alienating tens of thousands, and possibly hundreds of thousands, of guests. It cannot be more clear than that.

When you can take your picture inside the RotR queue, get back to us on the subject.

gerarar

Premium Member
It looks like they're using the "side entrance" to the hangar today:

I couldn't timestamp it because it's still streaming live, but you can scrub through to see the point they're directed through backstage. I wish they'd just stop running the attraction while the shuttle is down (i.e., consider it a "necessary show element"), but I know that's just a pipe dream. This is why WDI fought against having that side entrance built; they knew operations would be tempted to use it more often than they possibly should... Hopefully this is very rare, though?

Afaik it is a rare thing. Last time I saw it being used was on a livestream in February.

DCLcruiser

FP+ and Rope Drop is my preference. I know I won't get FoP or RotR, so I'll FP+ Na'vi River/MF for the AM and rope drop the #1 ride.

jt04

You won’t shift demand for the single best attraction built at WDW in well over 2 decades to other parks by offering boarding groups elsewhere. You also cannot tell guests, “Sorry, you got a boarding group, you’re now banned from getting a boarding group again for ## of days” without destroying goodwill and alienating tens of thousands, and possibly hundreds of thousands, of guests. It cannot be more clear than that.

When you can take your picture inside the RotR queue, get back to us on the subject.

They are already alienating all the people who fly or drive there who then can't access RotR because they aren't seasoned on how to get a BG.

nickys

Premium Member
Why not just have the VQ for all of the high demand rides occur at 7am? Would add a degree of self-selection
But no more than they would with FP or stand-by only.

There isn’t enough capacity on the ride. And having a system that is all or nothing means if you don’t get a BG you have zero chance of riding it. That is the issue many people have with it.

TikibirdLand

Afaik it is a rare thing. Last time I saw it being used was on a livestream in February.
This would be a big bummer for me if I had gotten up multiple mornings and missed a BG and then missed a BD at 1pm too to only have this happen; especially if it was my first time. So disappointed seeing such a fragile ride at WDW.

MickeyCB

Which is still BS, I’m sorry I think this system is just ridiculous since I’ve never once in three damn trips been able to get a boarding pass and I’ve followed every so called “trick” in the book. I’m obviously going to try at 1pm but I’m quite discouraged and am convinced that the ride will be 10 years old before I will ever get on it 🤬
Were you able to get a boarding pass today? After I read this post I was rooting for you!

jt04

You’ve just spent all day arguing for BGs. Now you’re saying they’re alienating people who aren’t practiced at it.

You can’t have it both ways.

There is a world of difference between trying to secure a reservation in mere seconds and having several minutes.

BTW, I'd like to see it done as a sort of lottery where you can sign up for a BG when you make a park reservation. The algorithm could be programmed easily to select those first who have not won the "lottery" in the longest timeframe. So if you have secured a BG and successfully ridden in the last week or so you probably wouldn't get a BG. 🍀

jt04

This would be a big bummer for me if I had gotten up multiple mornings and missed a BG and then missed a BD at 1pm too to only have this happen; especially if it was my first time. So disappointed seeing such a fragile ride at WDW.

Not only that but you are using up all that time from your park passes if you don't have an AP. You're basically stuck at the Studios when you could be spending valuable hours at the other parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom