News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

jt04

DHS is currently at about 35% capacity. Rise seems to be operating reasonably reliably these days. And still there are people who can’t get BGs. The math(s) doesn’t back your theory.

In addition there likely will be additional changes. 35% of max capacity is not far from normal daily standard capacity. Phased closures are rare.

By forcing people to choose a BG each day you are ensuring far fewer will choose Rise as that option.

If a park hopper really wants to ride FoP (and this is many people's favorite) they will have to join that BG. That removes them from Rise as an option.

The result will be a much higher percentage of those choosing Rise will be first timers rather than repeat riders. It isn't that Rise won't be at capacity, it will be that many more guests will have the chance to experience the ride. Of course, with limited availability there are never guarantees. But very motivated guests will likely succeed.

As mentioned, separate ticket events, if possible, are also a way to help with demand.

crawale

DHS is currently at about 35% capacity. Rise seems to be operating reasonably reliably these days. And still there are people who can’t get BGs. The math(s) doesn’t back your theory.
How will having the window be open for minutes help. When all BGs are gone you cannot get a BG. Last time we stayed at the Boardwalk we got a BG on the second day and then didn't try anymore - just out of fairness to others. It is hard for people to not be able to ride while others get a BG every day of their stay - not sure what a solution to this would be. Fast pass at least got you a chance if you were staying at a resort - and probably spending a whole lot of money to do so - and could book for your length of stay. Maybe restrict your FP to one or two a stay to give more people a chance.

crawale

Hmm seems like they lowered the BG allotment for the 7am drop? I remember a few months ago here people were getting BG ~100+ from the first drop. Now they're distributing, at minimum, BG 99 in the second and 1pm drop.

Of course this doesn't account for any BG-size changes that could've occured since then.
So about how many do you figure in the 7am timeframe?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
In addition there likely will be additional changes. 35% of max capacity is not far from normal daily standard capacity. Phased closures are rare.

By forcing people to choose a BG each day you are ensuring far fewer will choose Rise as that option.

If a park hopper really wants to ride FoP (and this is many people's favorite) they will have to join that BG. That removes them from Rise as an option.

So you think a “normal” day at DHS is approximately 35% of total capacity?

The Park Reservations system automatically eliminates any guest who doesn’t have one for DHS from being able to try to get a boarding group for Rise. Do try to keep up, as we know it’s been a long, long time since you’ve set foot in a Disney theme park.

jt04

So you think a “normal” day at DHS is approximately 35% of total capacity?

The Park Reservations system automatically eliminates any guest who doesn’t have one for DHS from being able to try to get a boarding group for Rise. Do try to keep up, as we know it’s been a long, long time since you’ve set foot in a Disney theme park.

Software can be changed. And procedures at WDW are always evolving.

And I didn't say 35% was an average day at DHS. Just not all that far from it. And this will be especially true once Tron and Guardians are open. IMO.

gerarar

Premium Member
So about how many do you figure in the 7am timeframe?
Probably an easy flat number like 95 BGs distributed in the 7am drop. BG 96 and above (just slightly above 200) are distributed in the 1pm drop.

(Not official numbers, just my speculation from various observations)

Chet Dakota

I actually like the Rise BG system in place now. I think it is the best approach to date.

I also hope that Park Reservations stay in place with VQs for other popular rides after the pandemic with no FP+, with Standby only. It has actually been pretty nice this week with the lines steadily moving and not having to search for new FPs after burning the first three.

nickys

Premium Member
Jeez. Well I was going to try and go down with a single day at DHS, but the odds aren't very good. I guess I might have to wait until the pandemic ends.
Your odds are actually better now. As park capacity increases, the number of people trying will increase thus reducing your chance of being successful.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Your odds are actually better now. As park capacity increases, the number of people trying will increase thus reducing your chance of being successful.

But... but... JT said if they just use BG’s in all the other parks, demand for Rise will fall and more people will be able to experience RotR. How could he be wrong?

nickys

Premium Member

The result will be a much higher percentage of those choosing Rise will be first timers rather than repeat riders. It isn't that Rise won't be at capacity, it will be that many more guests will have the chance to experience the ride. Of course, with limited availability there are never guarantees. But very motivated guests will likely succeed.

As mentioned, separate ticket events, if possible, are also a way to help with demand.
You’d force people to choose a BG? What if they don’t want to? What if they’r chicken, or too little, or just don’t care? And park hoppers would never be able to ride anything with a BG, all slots would be gone in seconds. Or minutes if we’re going to be super optimistic.

Look, the biggest problem with the BG only system is that if you don’t get a BG you cannot ride, ever.

There be a choice to wait in line. And that would have a natural cut-off point at which no one in their right minds would conjoin the line, but at least the option exists for the die-hard few who have just one chance to experience a ride.

Marc Davis Fan

It looks like they're using the "side entrance" to the hangar today:

I couldn't timestamp it because it's still streaming live, but you can scrub through to see the point they're directed through backstage. I wish they'd just stop running the attraction while the shuttle is down (i.e., consider it a "necessary show element"), but I know that's just a pipe dream. This is why WDI fought against having that side entrance built; they knew operations would be tempted to use it more often than they possibly should... Hopefully this is very rare, though?

Last edited:

jt04

But... but... JT said if they just use BG’s in all the other parks, demand for Rise will fall and more people will be able to experience RotR. How could he be wrong?

Never said all slots wouldn't fill. It will just cause guests to have other options. Opening opportunities for others.

DCLcruiser

I get that there will be more people, but hopefully the bugs will be fixed and they won't need to limit the number of shows (if you will) per day.

Considering the amount of people who ride other attractions, including FoP and MF, without boarding group lotteries, I find it hard to believe this is really due to popularity. I would think that something is wrong with the ride itself.

jt04

You’d force people to choose a BG? What if they don’t want to? What if they’r chicken, or too little, or just don’t care? And park hoppers would never be able to ride anything with a BG, all slots would be gone in seconds. Or minutes if we’re going to be super optimistic.

Look, the biggest problem with the BG only system is that if you don’t get a BG you cannot ride, ever.

There be a choice to wait in line. And that would have a natural cut-off point at which no one in their right minds would conjoin the line, but at least the option exists for the die-hard few who have just one chance to experience a ride.

Since all guests would have the option of one of the 'Big 4' each day it would open up opportunities for everyone that wants to have that chance. Of course it wouldn't be mandatory.

Ops would open Fast Pass and/or standby once BGs are fulfilled. They can balance this on a day to day, season to season basis to best accomplish the goal of providing the best experience. Simple really.

Sadly, I'm not sure RotR will ever be anything but boarding groups only. The other three attractions should have enough throughput to offer limited fastpass and standby later in the day. Though BGs would be the only guarantee of a ride.

nickys

Premium Member
I get that there will be more people, but hopefully the bugs will be fixed and they won't need to limit the number of shows (if you will) per day.

Considering the amount of people who ride other attractions, including FoP and MF, without boarding group lotteries, I find it hard to believe this is really due to popularity. I would think that something is wrong with the ride itself.
The ride was open for over a year pre-Covid without the bugs being fixed. So don’t hold your breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom