News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

techgeek

Second, I think they need to pre-assign the lottery process so you know before showing up at DHS whether you will get a ride. Perhaps by say 5PM the day before, you have to enter your party in the lottery and you'll be notified if you receive a BG and what BG you received by say 6PM the day before.

It would allow patrons who fail win a BG to decide if they are still interested in using their ticket at HS or if they'd rather try to transfer their reservation at another park without having to spend their (rather expensive) ticket somewhere they may end up not even getting a coveted BG (possibly their who reason for visiting HS to start with).

While this is a great idea, this is exactly why they would never do it. A pretty good group of guests simply wouldn't show up that day if they knew there was no chance to get on Rise. They would try another day if they could, and if they couldn't then it becomes a massive guest satisfaction fail before they even step foot in the park.

I have no idea how you fix it, honestly. Knock out some of the parking lot and build a second building. They've already got the blueprints done up... :rolleyes:

BlackCauldron

LOL! Totally understandable but I'm getting a "Karen" vibe from you.

hardly a Karen. We visit Disney every year for two weeks and I’ve never had the experience I had yesterday. We were also at HS last Thursday and everything was just fine. Yesterday lines were insane all around, and the park did feel very unsafe. There were issues with the 10am boarding groups. Rise was at half capacity and then broke down twice. Railway broke down at least three times, twice with us in line after waiting for 40 minutes each time. It’s a 30-45 min reset for that ride.

SImply put, the park does not have enough rides to manage the capacity it has been dealt. Throw in multiple breakdowns and there’s nowhere for people to really go. Normally I would have just hopped to a different park, but that’s not an option. So you are left to deal with an overly crowded park, broken rides, etc. and just suck it up. For a ticket over $100, that should not be the case.

was very polite at guest services - it’s not their fault - and we were given a FP for Railway. Rise then came back up and we were able to do it with few glitches. last two hours of the day were more enjoyable than the rest.

KevinPage

hardly a Karen. We visit Disney every year for two weeks and I’ve never had the experience I had yesterday. We were also at HS last Thursday and everything was just fine. Yesterday lines were insane all around, and the park did feel very unsafe. There were issues with the 10am boarding groups. Rise was at half capacity and then broke down twice. Railway broke down at least three times, twice with us in line after waiting for 40 minutes each time. It’s a 30-45 min reset for that ride.

SImply put, the park does not have enough rides to manage the capacity it has been dealt. Throw in multiple breakdowns and there’s nowhere for people to really go. Normally I would have just hopped to a different park, but that’s not an option. So you are left to deal with an overly crowded park, broken rides, etc. and just suck it up. For a ticket over $100, that should not be the case.

was very polite at guest services - it’s not their fault - and we were given a FP for Railway. Rise then came back up and we were able to do it with few glitches. last two hours of the day were more enjoyable than the rest.

Their 3 big shows all being closed leave a lot of people outside walking around and on other rides. So once any of those go down, it’s the perfect cluster of a bad day, no doubt.

Jimdalva

TRIP REPORT : I have good news and bad news. --- We are staying at CBR, we were at the Skyliner at 8:10, it was running empty, then at 9:05 announcement came 'The Skyliner is delayed'. But at 9;10 they started loading. Arrived at Studios, quick temp check, security and entrance very quick. We rode MMRR and RRC, then sat down and waited for 10 O clock. The good news, BAM, fast fingers and we got BG 4. (all the practice paid off, thanks to all here) We then rode ToT, then off to RotR. The Bad news, it was DOWN. Went to S Run and it was down. An hour later RotR was up , got in line, right up to the door and Down again, waited a full hour. Then we rode. Great ride. Back to SR but still down. Such is Life!

gerarar

Premium Member
TRIP REPORT : I have good news and bad news. --- We are staying at CBR, we were at the Skyliner at 8:10, it was running empty, then at 9:05 announcement came 'The Skyliner is delayed'. But at 9;10 they started loading. Arrived at Studios, quick temp check, security and entrance very quick. We rode MMRR and RRC, then sat down and waited for 10 O clock. The good news, BAM, fast fingers and we got BG 4. (all the practice paid off, thanks to all here) We then rode ToT, then off to RotR. The Bad news, it was DOWN. Went to S Run and it was down. An hour later RotR was up , got in line, right up to the door and Down again, waited a full hour. Then we rode. Great ride. Back to SR but still down. Such is Life!
Can you comment if they were running 2 or 1 transports at dispatch?

KevinPage

You got on 2 rides before 10am (including MMRR) and Rise in the same day. I’d chalk that up as a victory (at this point) in my book 🤩🤩🤩

Jimdalva

Can you comment if they were running 2 or 1 transports at dispatch?
They ran 2 transports, and I think everything was working, but being my first time, who knows.
Also Smugglers Run Never ran All Day.
Once again thanks to all here who enabled me to get a Boarding Group.
It was sad to see a family with 3 or 4 kids looking unhappy because Dad failed to get a BG. Add to that No Smugglers, and those Star Wars fans were very disappointed.
It will be years before I return and try and ride Smugglers. Until then Im Out. Good Bye.

RSoxNo1

I hope the takeaway here is that additional capacity is built into the Paris version. I'm not sure that there's an easy way to do that stateside other than the actual troubleshooting of the attraction. It is my understanding that the attraction has rarely, if ever approached it's intended capacity Pre-COVID.

The hindrances to modifying capacity would likely be the elevator bays. If the vehicle size could be increased it may be immaterial if you can't modify the elevator bays. That's where France could potentially address the problem before construction.

DisneyCane

Given the state of the BG frenzy, I think a few things need to change. First, it shouldn't be fastest fingers/connections gets the BG. It should be a random lottery. Second, I think they need to pre-assign the lottery process so you know before showing up at DHS whether you will get a ride. Perhaps by say 5PM the day before, you have to enter your party in the lottery and you'll be notified if you receive a BG and what BG you received by say 6PM the day before. Third, for those staying onsite, perhaps with at least an 3-4 night stay, you are should be guaranteed a BG and you can sorta list your days of preference in advance and Disney will assign one to you. This way, you know when you go to DHS, that you will get a ride.

Or just scrap the whole concept altogether and go stand-by only and how long you are willing to wait determines who rides. The problem here is how to prevent people from continually showing up earlier and earlier. I will say, though, as someone with young children, I do not favor this alternative, but at least you can't argue with the equity of such a system.
The issue with a day before lottery is that if you know that you didn't get a BG, there is a decent chance of people cancelling their park reservation. I could see people (especially Disney resort guests that usually have reservations available at the other parks) reserving DHS for every day (taking capacity) and then cancelling and switching to another park as soon as they know they can't ride RotR the next day.

I don't think they should go all standby but I think they should keep some percentage (10% maybe) of capacity for standby. Then there should be a minimum standby wait (2.5 hours?). Basically, allow the line to form but don't take anybody from standby until 12:30 PM. Essentially, there should be a way that somebody who can't get a boarding group but is willing to wait will get to ride, even if they have to wait half of the day or longer. Anybody that gets a boarding group should be barred from the standby line.

dizneycrazy09

Can someone point me to the post(s) with the best process for securing a boarding group? I was great with it precovid, but this morning is the first time back in HS since. Any new pieces of advice (cold open versus refresh, etc?)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom