News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

BlackCauldron

They’ll never do it, but if you fail to get a BG Disney should give you a Park Hopper for the day

Runaway Railway has also gone down at least 3 times today. I’ve now waited for that for a total of 2 hours and still haven’t ridden. Between that and Rise, their downtime has caused inflated lines everywhere else. It’s a miserable day all around here and you can tell a lot of people are very, very cranky. But with no park hoppers, we are stuck here with inflated crowds and broken rides.

EPCOT-O.G.

Runaway Railway has also gone down at least 3 times today. I’ve now waited for that for a total of 2 hours and still haven’t ridden. Between that and Rise, their downtime has caused inflated lines everywhere else. It’s a miserable day all around here and you can tell a lot of people are very, very cranky. But with no park hoppers, we are stuck here with inflated crowds and broken rides.
That sounds awful. If I were there now I'd have to think long and hard about visiting HS. I'd guess I'd rank the park experiences as follows based on reliability issues: 1) MK, 2) EPCOT, 3) AK, 4) Lounging at a relatively empty and tranquil resort, 5) HS.

On a side note, I love your screen name. I did not get into that story until after I missed the theatrical release (when I played the Sierra video game). We visited WDW a year or two later and asked a poor CM in a Kodak photography store if they had it on VHS, or when it might be coming out. I still remember him calling a bunch of numbers to find out this information. I was like 9, I knew no better. I still feel for him, trying (vainly! - it wouldn't receive a release until 1998). Still enjoyed eating at Gurgi's.

PolynesianPrincess

This is making me super anxious about our trip next week. We booked DHS on a weekday hoping it wouldn't be as crowded as the weekend but it appears its still busy during the week. the long lines coupled with no FP and reduced hours and most people aren't even going to be able to do half the things they want to do. Thinking our DHS day we will take a midday break!

Unbanshee

That sounds awful. If I were there now I'd have to think long and hard about visiting HS. I'd guess I'd rank the park experiences as follows based on reliability issues: 1) MK, 2) EPCOT, 3) AK, 4) Lounging at a relatively empty and tranquil resort, 5) HS.

The more things change, the more they stay the same

gerarar

Premium Member
I’ve been saying it for weeks now — the missing audio cues and soundtrack leading up to the big reveal is probably the worst thing that could happen to Rise. It’s really the only thing that a B-mode can’t fix, so that should honestly be a priority to fix. Really sad to see it still present after almost a month of plaguing various ride-throughs.

EPCOT-O.G.

Disney chose a very conservative approach to the safety of its employees back in March in every single part of the company. Those rules prevented anyone from entering any building during the shutdown except roles deemed essential such as security. That included all of the attraction buildings, construction sites, all of their office buildings around the US, etc.. In fact, most of the office space is still under those restrictions. Those constraints didn't start to loosen until June when they were preparing the construction and installation of all the distancing equipment thoughout the property in advance of the re-opening. Most of the Imagineering and construction teams were not back to work at that time and only started coming back in August.
I understand this. I wonder if Disneyland will be using this downtime to work on these issues. What's worrisome is it seems these issues stem from the connectivity between the ride vehicles and the various systems (I still remember the thoughts that it was cell phones causing interference). Once shutdown, it seems like it takes at least an hour to get back up and running.

BlackCauldron

In interrogation and ride broke. Dumping the line now.

Abysmal day here With multiple ride malfunctions.

I will be visiting guest services. This day has been an all around joke.

edit - they gave us “fast passes” to get back on the ride, but with all the issues this park has had today, that’s not enough. Without the ability to park hop, everyone is just stuck here to “deal with it.”

Last edited:

kingdead

So basically you just got to do a very long preshow, right? Blah.

I wonder if the whole interrogation room thing was a good idea--it seems like a lot of people are getting booted out at that point, so your last memory of the ride is being stuck in "enemy territory," so to speak. How do they break character to get you out?

BlackCauldron

So basically you just got to do a very long preshow, right? Blah.

I wonder if the whole interrogation room thing was a good idea--it seems like a lot of people are getting booted out at that point, so your last memory of the ride is being stuck in "enemy territory," so to speak. How do they break character to get you out?

They become polite cast members, open the side door and then scan your band so you can come back. The problem is, when you go back you have to do the whole thing all over again. I’d prefer just picking up where I left off and not having to trek the line again.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
So how long do you think it to get ROTR back on track so to speak. How do you fix an attraction like this?

Having a few months of the ride being totally off-line would give them lots of time to fix things... oh wait... :cautious:

I understand that Disney went very conservative on their shutdown approach and the reasons they did things that way. But they also shot themselves in the foot by doing so, because if they had allowed even small crews to work on things, they could have potentially gotten some of these headache-inducing problems fixed while the parks were closed.

brettf22

Premium Member
"Once it came time to load into the vehicle, there was only one escape vehicle. The reason for only one car operation today at Rise of the Resistance is because one of the two elevators in the AT-AT room is not being utilized. We understand that the issue isn’t with the elevator itself, but with the vehicle positioning system.

Essentially, the positioning system is having difficulties transmitting data to confirm vehicle positioning. So while the operation of the elevator would be completely safe, the failsafe kicked in and essentially one “pathway” out of the two pathways used by the ride vehicles is not in use.

This issue started on Saturday. When I was finally able to ride (after two attempts and three hours in line), I was put in an interrogation room by myself, then all the ride vehicles around me were empty.

GimpYancIent

This issue started on Saturday. When I was finally able to ride (after two attempts and three hours in line), I was put in an interrogation room by myself, then all the ride vehicles around me were empty.
I say these are the after effects from a bolt from the sky. A higher authority may be sending a message. To appease it more evening park hours should be added as well as enhanced visual effects through out the land. Sounds good to me.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Given the state of the BG frenzy, I think a few things need to change. First, it shouldn't be fastest fingers/connections gets the BG. It should be a random lottery. Second, I think they need to pre-assign the lottery process so you know before showing up at DHS whether you will get a ride. Perhaps by say 5PM the day before, you have to enter your party in the lottery and you'll be notified if you receive a BG and what BG you received by say 6PM the day before. Third, for those staying onsite, perhaps with at least an 3-4 night stay, you are should be guaranteed a BG and you can sorta list your days of preference in advance and Disney will assign one to you. This way, you know when you go to DHS, that you will get a ride.

Or just scrap the whole concept altogether and go stand-by only and how long you are willing to wait determines who rides. The problem here is how to prevent people from continually showing up earlier and earlier. I will say, though, as someone with young children, I do not favor this alternative, but at least you can't argue with the equity of such a system.
This certainly feels more equitable than the current chaotic system that rewards good cellular connections and park attendees who are "in the know" of how the system works.

We are scheduled to visit over Spring Break and one thing we're very excited to do is ride RotR. Because of the current situation surrounding BG, we have two days scheduled for HS. Two. For a park that we used to be able to do in just over 1/2 a day at a leisurely pace. Just because we need a backup day in case we can't get on the ride the first day. (Granted, it has been a few years since our last visit, but there hasn't been so many new rides/attractions added that we now need two days to see it all.)

Asking ticket holders who already have a park reservation at HS for the following day, to log in and confirm their desire to enter the lottery to win a BG position, then randomly assigning BGs to people from that pool of people the evening before (or even o-dark-thirty the morning of) their scheduled day would be far preferable to what they have now. It would allow patrons who fail win a BG to decide if they are still interested in using their ticket at HS or if they'd rather try to transfer their reservation at another park without having to spend their (rather expensive) ticket somewhere they may end up not even getting a coveted BG (possibly their who reason for visiting HS to start with). I would also suggest that adding a feature that flags a ticket holder as one who has ridden RotR in the last X number of days could be moved a special pool in the lottery, thus providing more opportunity for those who have never experienced the ride a better chance to do so. For instance, maybe 50 spots are set aside daily for those who have ridden the ride in the last two weeks and the rest are open to everyone else. This would give preference to infrequent visitors and those who haven't yet had a chance to ride RotR, but not fully exclude those who have already experienced the ride. Maybe this is completely impossible to put into practice, but what they're working with now seems horribly flawed and often immensely frustrating for everyone involved (park guests and CMs alike).

Could I pay a few hundred bucks for a PH option for my family of five so that we can move on to another park if we fail to win a BG for however many days we decided to "try HS first"? Sure. But it doesn't make financial sense to do so because of one ride and it would only create more stress during our "magical vacation" as we continued to try to score a spot on the coveted ride.

gerarar

Premium Member
Im at CBR now, tomorrow (9/15/2020), will be my turn to ride RotR. Wish me luck, first to get a BG, then too actually get to ride, after today, we will need it.
It seems like since Saturday they’ve only been running 1 of 2 vehicles per dispatch. And they’re only getting around BG 40 by park close because of that! So hopefully you get something below that, good luck!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom