News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Twirlnhurl

Yeah Like I said, they aren't working on it which is a shame. Were they still running it at half capacity when it closed down or did they improve it at all beforehand?
In the last few weeks it was open it had days of half capacity and days of nearly full capacity, with no obvious trend.

I think that when the company decides to reopen, it will have several weeks to develop new proceduresand retrain staff. In that time, there is no reason why they shouldn't be able to have crews working on the reliability of the ride.

flynnibus

Premium Member
The belief seems to be more, not fewer, boarding groups upon return. Disney unintentionally gave themselves a gift with VQ tech.

Yeah until they realize after the fact the adage about 'too much of a good thing... ' When all those people aren't in lines, where are they going to go?

The dining locations with reduced capacities?
The benches and seating they've removed from all the parks?
The numerous several hundred person theatres that are closed off?

The place is going to look like a refugee camp with people forced to sit on curbs and lean on anything they can.

There isn't enough places to sit in the parks under the old model... imagine what it will be like if every attraction holds 1/10th of what it did before...

UNCgolf

Yeah until they realize after the fact the adage about 'too much of a good thing... ' When all those people aren't in lines, where are they going to go?

The dining locations with reduced capacities?
The benches and seating they've removed from all the parks?
The numerous several hundred person theatres that are closed off?

The place is going to look like a refugee camp with people forced to sit on curbs and lean on anything they can.

There isn't enough places to sit in the parks under the old model... imagine what it will be like if every attraction holds 1/10th of what it did before...

This is what I've said multiple times. The parks aren't designed for virtual queues; it just doesn't work unless you severely limit capacity -- and that's without even factoring in social distancing. Once you add that, it becomes an even bigger disaster. Of course, if they're only going to do one or two per park, that would be okay as long as everything else still operates standby.

On the other hand, I don't think they can use the current Rise of the Resistance system even if it was only one ride per park. You don't want to encourage thousands of people to show up before opening in an attempt to get the ride they want; that would destroy any chance at social distancing.

Last edited:

KevinPage

I’m not even sure if it’s feasible to operate the parks with such a reduced capacity. It’s probably cheaper for Disney to keep it closed. Unless you do a slow gradual approach, in the attempt to build consumer confidence to come back, and this is the only way to do that.

Giss Neric

What do people think about whether or not boarding groups will return once the parks are back open? I've seen a lot of predictions that the parks will be significantly slower once they reopen. However I assume a lot of the crowd that will be there will be locals and APs that will be willing to wait hours for RotR.
The boarding groups will surely return since I think there will be no standby lines on all attractions. I might even think they would implement boarding groups on all major rides. Let's see if the crowd will be significantly less.

In terms of ROTR, I think they will cut the groups in half during the preshows so there will be spaces between.

Marc Davis Fan

The belief seems to be more, not fewer, boarding groups upon return. Disney unintentionally gave themselves a gift with VQ tech.

Let's hope this isn't permanent. It can really mess up one's day, and it really unfair for regular guests who don't understand that they have to arrive at the park first-thing in the morning with their apps open.

It feels sort-of ironic that, on the one hand Disney wants us to schedule the time we will ride some attractions 60+ days in advance, and on the other hand Disney wants us to not know when we will ride other attractions until moments beforehand.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Let's hope this isn't permanent. It can really mess up one's day, and it really unfair for regular guests who don't understand that they have to arrive at the park first-thing in the morning with their apps open.

It feels sort-of ironic that, on the one hand Disney wants us to schedule the time we will ride some attractions 60+ days in advance, and on the other hand Disney wants us to not know when we will ride other attractions until moments beforehand.
I still think people are reading too much into the virtual queue management page that appeared in the mix. I think that’s less about Disney planning to unroll it all over all the park’s favorite rides and more about getting ready for the early days of Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron and the assumption that the need for VQ would overlap between those and when it’s no longer needed for RotR.

It’s not impossible they would use it all over due to COVID, but that largely means people would just be congregating somewhere else in the park.

ok529

According to my original plan tomorrow morning I would have been stressing about my boarding group, of course that was before the pandemic. I will miss that trip and miss checking this forum everyday from a thousand miles way to see what boarding group you got and the system used. Hope everyone is safe and soon we will be returning to at least a B mode of operation!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
According to my original plan tomorrow morning I would have been stressing about my boarding group, of course that was before the pandemic. I will miss that trip and miss checking this forum everyday from a thousand miles way to see what boarding group you got and the system used. Hope everyone is safe and soon we will be returning to at least a B mode of operation!
"B" me up, Bobby!

RSoxNo1

As one in each park I assume?
MK: 7D or Space?
EP: Rat?
HS: RotR
AK: FOP
I think they also need to look logistically at where they have space for queues. Space Mountain has more room than Slinky Dog for example.

I could see this being rolled out across 5+ attractions per park for that reason or truly devoting 100% of capacity to the Fastpass system. My longtime preferred approach to Fastpass+ was same day reservations only (next available) where all guests can hold two at a time. Now is as good a time as any to try that.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
We now (sorta) have an official POV from Disney Parks for ROTR! It includes many of the SFX heard within the ride-portion of the experience.
It also includes many facts about the ride including the VFX house who had a hand in developing many of the sequences/outdoor footage in the cannon room and last Kylo-encounter scene.

On another note. it’s so nice to hear Lieutenant Bek’s voice so crisp and clear!!

Giss Neric

One time I got bored and I watched a LOT of POV of this ride. I noticed on multiple videos that during Kylo's lightsaber penetrating the roof, a lot of guests don't even notice it unless someone beside them points it out by hand or verbally. Most of them look left or right or just at R5 panicking. Is it because it's not that noticeable that they should add more effects like sparks like in the advertisement or even make the lightsaber longer when it goes through the roof.

peter11435

One time I got bored and I watched a LOT of POV of this ride. I noticed on multiple videos that during Kylo's lightsaber penetrating the roof, a lot of guests don't even notice it unless someone beside them points it out by hand or verbally. Most of them look left or right or just at R5 panicking. Is it because it's not that noticeable that they should add more effects like sparks like in the advertisement or even make the lightsaber longer when it goes through the roof.
I’ve only been on the ride half a dozen times but I’ve never seen guests not notice the lightsaber. I did ride twice when the effect was not working. Are you sure it was working in the videos where you saw people not notice it?

Magic Feather

I've found it to depend on each batch of guests, but every group I've seen has noticed eventually. Ideally, the thud on ceiling sound or initial piercing sound coming from the ceiling draws people's attention, and I'd say that 9/10 times it does. If not, the usually notice it when the RV lurches away from the saber by backing up as though to try and avoid it.

Last edited:

KevinPage

As a lover of all things licorice and black jelly beans, I bought some Sambuca.

Any good recommendations on cocktails or stuff Disney does with it?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom