News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

Me reading through these posts:
View attachment 455134
Everything certainly sounds logical. Now I’m second guessing what I’ve done during my refresh/Demarke methods and thinking maybe my timing was off. I’m definitely down to give it a go again but it seems like the worst case default is to restart the app so why not reload it right at 8 to avoid potentially losing even more time? I think a case could be made fresh and geeky is still the safest approach.

One thing that’s made me nervous lately is the inexplicable dropping of friends or even the main account being completely removed from the friends list when it comes time to selection. I wonder if using the method of sitting on the app would do anything to sure this up but it really only seems like the app searches for your friends list once join boarding group is pressed.

I hear ya. What I’m gleamed after reading all this over and over, feeling stupid, then having a 💡 go off, then feeling stupid again, thanks to @Joel help, I fully understand all the nitty gritty and why it works the way it does and how using the 7:57:30 to load app makes the most sense. (Boy do I hope I explain this correctly/succiently)

The initial GetQueues that starts at app load expires at 7:58:30 (or so) and doesn’t automatically happen again, you push FIND OUT MORE to generate a new request (only 1x every 60 seconds will it work). So first hurdle cleared and you have your first shot armed and ready right for 8am.

The GetPositions request, which is tied
to the pushing of the MY STATUS button doesn’t automatically happen until 3 minutes post loading of app, which is 8:00:30, but by that time you have already requested it yourself (by like 8:00:10-8:00:15 if it didn’t give you option on prior page) OR reloaded the app, so the app didn’t have a chance to waste it on you and lock you out for 60 seconds.

7:56:30 means the GetPositions request auto sends at 7:59:30 and you are blocked out from making another request on that until 8:00:30, so you lose as potential second option.

I can’t figure out a better way to explain this via the written word.

Basically 7:55 is fine and so is 7:57:30

BUT 7:56:30 means you have a reduced chance as GetPositions (My Status) will not send a new request no matter how many times you hit the button

Last edited:

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
Oh no! That’s too bad. Yeah we only have the one day to try so I don’t want to mess it up by being in that building. Thanks for the reply!
Most people in this thread recommend turning wifi off. Therefore it shouldn't matter if you are in a building.
Good luck!

Joel

Perhaps launching the app between 7:56 and 7:57. if you tap find out more just a second too early and use up that api call, and the background api call after 3 minutes also fires before 8 am.
Yeah, that combination would do it. It's so absurd that this is even an issue, though. I just imagine @KevinPage catching someone opening the app at 7:56 and grabbing them by the shirt collar screaming, "NOT 7:56! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!"

Everything certainly sounds logical. Now I’m second guessing what I’ve done during my refresh/Demarke methods and thinking maybe my timing was off. I’m definitely down to give it a go again but it seems like the worst case default is to restart the app so why not reload it right at 8 to avoid potentially losing even more time? I think a case could be made fresh and geeky is still the safest approach.
As long as you aren't too concerned about getting the lowest possible BG, waiting till 8 to launch the app probably isn't the worst idea. Definitely the easiest to explain to someone. I think we can come up with a relatively simple solution that doesn't require magic incantations with precise timing, though.

disneygeek90

Yeah, that combination would do it. It's so absurd that this is even an issue, though. I just imagine @KevinPage catching someone opening the app at 7:56 and grabbing them by the shirt collar screaming, "NOT 7:56! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!"

As long as you aren't too concerned about getting the lowest possible BG, waiting till 8 to launch the app probably isn't the worst idea. Definitely the easiest to explain to someone. I think we can come up with a relatively simple solution that doesn't require magic incantations with precise timing, though.
Right, I’ve still snagged plenty of numbers in the teens, twenties and thirties using that process. As well as group 8 (first of day) and 13 on Sunday. It can still be really quick but it’s clear a clean Demarke can almost guarantee a single digit when done correctly.

KevinPage

though. I just imagine @KevinPage catching someone opening the app at 7:56 and grabbing them by the shirt collar screaming, "NOT 7:56! ARE YOU INSANE?!?!"

7:56 is bush league. And I much prefer this method

98F35ADC-A7B1-4E3A-998D-D28F37114A00.gif

nyrebel3

Most people in this thread recommend turning wifi off. Therefore it shouldn't matter if you are in a building.
Good luck!

Yes, I turned off wifi. I have AT&T and it went from 4 bars outside to 1-2 bars inside. Thinking back I remember passing a group of dads huddled outside probably waiting for 8:00 before entering the building. But the cast member was yelling out that the signal would get stronger the further you went into the building. Obviously I didn’t get far enough inside or she was talking about WiFi or just saying that to keep the lines moving. The guy behind me got BG60 and another family was shut out. I don’t know if they were on WiFi or cellular.

For the best chance of getting a RoR BG, has everyone had good luck with RD of MFSR and getting a boarding group? Is the MFSR line outside?

Other than MMRR, have all of the other rides been opening at 8? (So that there’s no chance of being on the ride or in a building while trying to get a BG)

disneygeek90

For the best chance of getting a RoR BG, has everyone had good luck with RD of MFSR and getting a boarding group? Is the MFSR line outside?

Other than MMRR, have all of the other rides been opening at 8? (So that there’s no chance of being on the ride or in a building while trying to get a BG)
Before MMRR days nothing would open before 8. You’d be held near the entrances of the lands or attractions until the open time.

I don’t even think Galaxys Edge is open before 8

RSoxNo1

When you hit Find Out More it calls getQueues, not getPositions, so it would still have been available no matter when the background calls to getPositions are made.

Keep in mind that the rate limiting of these API calls is handled separately. The initial getQueues call on app load only blocks the app from calling getQueues again for the next 60 seconds. You can still call getPositions (once) during that time. And vice versa.

In this specific situation, though, you should have still had access to both API calls. Even if you loaded the app at 7:55:59, the background call to getPositions would have been made before 7:59, so the app would have been able to do it again when the queue opened.
Can someone translate this into English please?

Yes your assumption is correct, only the people with us are linked in my MDE account. So yes using the "Select All" option would be the quickest. Thank you for the information that party size should have no influence on the outcome.
In addition to the other responses, I would suggest that the biggest benefit to putting everyone in one group is that you are then stacking all of your "lottery entries".

In other words, I'd much rather have 4 adults trying to get a BG for me than 2. If 2 of them have phone or app issues, one group of 4 could be left in the cold. With everyone together, only 1 of the 4 needs to work and if multiple go well you all benefit from the fastest.

Now maybe this becomes an issue when group sizes get significantly larger (no idea what "significant" is), but I doubt 8 matters much more than 4 for performance of apps/servers until someone has evidence otherwise.

KevinPage

So as a follow up, I tested @Joel info from home just now.

I used time.is and once it was a few seconds after 7:59, I quickly swiped the browser away and loaded MDE from scratch.

I clicked FIND OUT MORE right at 8am and lo and behold, Join Boarding Group was gray (as it should be). I sat there for 2 seconds to make sure it didn’t pop up due to a delay and nothing, so I clicked My Status and it allowed me to Join a Group (since that generated the GetPositions call) but I didn’t click it.

After waiting a few seconds on that screen, I clicked the back arrow and Join Boarding Group populated on the main screen (since the 60 seconds from the initial app load GetQueues request had expired & navigating to that screen generated a new request).

Joel, so I’m guessing getting to the My Status/JBG screen, the GetQueues request is generated by BOTH clicking Find Out More OR going backwards to that screen from the JBG screen (that uses the GetPositions call) ?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom