News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

Is there anyway to check if the ride is down before you walk ALL THE WAY over to RoR for your BG time?

(Like if you’re in line for MMRR and your BG return window is ending...before you leave the MMRR line can you check if RoR is down on the app somehow?)

Sometimes the app will show no boarding groups at all and there are electronic signs all over the park that will say BOARDING GROUPS DELAYED, which is the most reliable source of info 😁

KevinPage

I skipped yesterday! It was a Friday-Sunday week for me 😜

Still too much stress for it to handle

47978D90-BEF0-4ACA-BE57-95A5C50A8D55.gif

Darstarr

In the Parks
No
@disneygeek90 , you seem nice enough. Fun, entertaining and enthusiastic. You are also a jinx for RotR. You are. We have data and numbers and proof.
I beseach you, next Sunday is my birthday and I will be visiting HWS. I will have a bit of a different situation as my family will be with me until 5:00 (without tix) and then they fly home while I stay and play for a couple days. Happy birthday to me!
I will be purposely trying to get a later back up group. I fear, if you are there it could cause delays, breakdowns etc and I may not get my birthday ride.
You understand. Its not personal. But could you help a girl out? I hear Georgia is lovely this time of year😉
Thank you,
Darstarr

KevinPage

Yeah, that's just the way the app has been written, as far as I can tell.

Assuming your phone, the app, your network connection, and Disney's servers are all working properly? Not that I can see.

There is nothing different about the getQueues call that's made at startup versus after tapping Find Out More. What happens behind the scenes (or at least my best guess without access to the source code) is that anytime the app makes the getQueues (or getPositions, for that matter) request and receives a response from the server, it updates its internal state related to the virtual queue. Then after you hit Find Out More, the Join button is either enabled or not depending on this internal state, no matter what triggered it to change.

So as long as the app makes the initial getQueues call after the queue opens, it will still cause the Join button to be red, as we have seen. That being said, I don't think it's a good idea to wait until opening time (or a few seconds before) to load the app because you're just adding in extra variables and chances for failure during what is obviously the most crucial time.

From what I have seen, no BG-related API calls (after the initial getQueues call) are made by just sitting on the home screen. You could have had the app open all week and it should function the same as if you had just loaded it fresh three minutes before opening.

I've had enough random bugs/crashes in the MDE app that I would still recommend people restart their phones anywhere between 15 and 60 minutes ahead of time just to start somewhat fresh. But I don't see anything wrong with immediately loading the app after that.

I've done some unscientific testing of Disney's server time (based on the Date header returned in the API call responses), and it seems to be pretty accurate.

As long as you don't jump the gun by more than a second or so, you'll probably at least be able to join after tapping My Status. I think that what I would recommend for those who want to be overly cautious (especially if they only have one shot to do Rise) is that if the Join button isn't enabled after tapping Find Out More, wait a second or two for safety before tapping My Status. You'll possibly end up with a higher BG than you could have, but it'll probably be significantly lower than if you have to force reload the app. It's really a matter of risk/reward.

Thank you!

Wow, I’m loving knowing “how the sausage is made” as they say.

Am I correct in interpreting this as:

-GetQueues is activated at app startup, and if it’s before 8am, it tells the app: don’t populate the Join Button

- Then as you sit on the homepage, anytime after 60 seconds (whether you are sitting there for 3 minutes or 3 days), the app is NOT sending any further GetQueues until you actually click FIND OUT MORE. That is what activates any follow up GetQueues requests “post startup”.

When you click My Status, if Join BG doesn’t populate, pulling down to refresh doesn’t do anything as it’s not resending the API request, so you should immediately hard close it and restart the app

😀😀😀

Last edited:

KevinPage

This is incredibly interesting and helpful and really helps explains why the two methods both used here are seeing a high success rate. It definitely makes me want to try the Demarke one more time but with a solo phone that makes me nervous. I guess I’ll wait till I have a backup again.

I had to drop my friend off at the airport at 7am. So, naturally, I think we all know where my gps is pointed to now.

@Demarke with a @KevinPage Twist & a @Joel Reassurance has rendered all other methods WEAK SAUCE in its wake

27680148-8695-40C8-A4C6-990FEECB8B5D.gif

Joel

Wow, I’m loving knowing “how the sausage is made” as they say.

Am I correct in interpreting this as:

-GetQueues is activated at app startup, and if it’s before 8am, it tells the app: don’t populate the Join Button

- Then as you sit on the homepage, anytime after 60 seconds (whether you are sitting there for 3 minutes or 3 days), the app is NOT sending any further GetQueues until you actually click FIND OUT MORE. That is what activates any follow up GetQueues requests “post startup”.

When you click My Status, if Join BG doesn’t populate, pulling down to refresh doesn’t do anything as it’s not resending the API request, so you should immediately hard close it and restart the app

😀😀😀
Yes, this is correct.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom