News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

jmljr

Just got back from a Mon-Fri trip to WDW. Thanks to obsessively reading every single page of this thread was able to experience ROTR twice on Monday 2/17 and Tuesday 2/18. Wow were the crowds ridiculous. My phone (AT&T iPhone 8) routine was what I believe to be the Demarke method...to fully charge overnight, shut off for 5 minutes or so before leaving hotel and making sure WiFi was off. At about 7:57 or so I opened MDE and let it stay on the main page. Right at 8 I clicked on “Find out more” under the Rise stuff right on the main page.

- On Monday on Sunset Blvd, the “Join Boarding Group” button was still greyed out so I then hit My Status and was prompted to pick party and join...this extra time got me BG 72. Due to the awful day the attraction had on a Monday this meant we didn’t get called back until 5-ish...but at least we got a nap in back at Pop Century...man the Skyliner is efficient. Note - not sure if it was a function of being back in the park when we did get called, but our window was an hour.

-On Tuesday did the same thing from the entrance of TSL and “Join Boarding Group” was able to be clicked...selected my party and got BG 19. Was called at about 8:30 while we were just about getting on Slinky. Had a 2-hour window.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I wouldn’t have had the success I did without your help!

Last edited:
Just got back from a Mon-Fri trip to WDW. Thanks to obsessively reading every single page of this thread was able to experience ROTR twice on Monday 2/17 and Tuesday 2/18. Wow were the crowds ridiculous. My phone (AT&T iPhone 8) routine was what I believe to be the Demarke method...to fully charge overnight, shut off for 5 minutes or so before leaving hotel and making sure WiFi was off. At about 7:57 or so I opened MDE and let it stay on the main page. Right at 8 I clicked on “Find out more” under the Rise stuff right on the main page.

- On Monday on Sunset Blvd, the “Join Boarding Group” button was still greyed out so I then hit My Status and was posted to pick party and join...this extra time got me BG 72. Due to the awful day the attraction had on a Monday this meant we didn’t get called back until 5-ish...but at least we got a nap in back at Pop Century...man the Skyliner is efficient. Note - not sure if it was a function of being back in the park when we did get called, but our window was an hour.

-On Tuesday did the same thing from the entrance of TSL and “Join Boarding Group” was able to be clicked...selected my party and got BG 19. Was called at about 8:30 while we were just about getting on Slinky. Had a 2-hour window.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, I wouldn’t have had the success I did without you help!

I agree on the skyliner. We stayed at art of animation and it was a great way to get to/from Hollywood and Epcot... except for the operating hours. Doesn't run early enough in the morning for BGs and stopped running before we left after our late cantina time.

But if you are staying at either hotel and are rushed in the morning you can definitely just go with the bare minimum (phone and magic band), hustle to bus/lyft, get your BG, ride something at rope drop, and use skyliner to efficiently go back for anything. Similar to leaving bags in the car and getting them after obtaining BG if you drive to the park.

I'm sure Disney has reasons, but I would have loved to have earlier skyliner operation.

jmljr

I agree on the skyliner. We stayed at art of animation and it was a great way to get to/from Hollywood and Epcot... except for the operating hours. Doesn't run early enough in the morning for BGs and stopped running before we left after our late cantina time.

But if you are staying at either hotel and are rushed in the morning you can definitely just go with the bare minimum (phone and magic band), hustle to bus/lyft, get your BG, ride something at rope drop, and use skyliner to efficiently go back for anything. Similar to leaving bags in the car and getting them after obtaining BG if you drive to the park.

I'm sure Disney has reasons, but I would have loved to have earlier skyliner operation.

Agree on operating hours for Skyliner...we Ubered both mornings at around 7 because I think it started at 7:30 and I didn’t want to risk it, but we used Skyliner to come and go from HS after that.

KevinPage

The final regular BG 63 was called right before noon at ~11:48am. ROTR has been having an amazing performance today...extending from the past couple days.

Whatever they did to the ride recently has been fantastic so far!

Edit: dang it! I got beat by the one and only master himself!! 😭

No @disneygeek90 for multiple days allowed the programming to get rid of all its 🐜 & 🦠

And @DCBaker isn’t a him or her, but simply a......

4F0AB53E-BFFD-4246-AA72-4C3CE9D8328D.gif

disneygeek90

No @disneygeek90 for multiple days allowed the programming to get rid of all its 🐜 & 🦠

And @DCBaker isn’t a him or her, but simply a......

View attachment 451344
You’re welcome for getting out of town for a few days 😉

In all seriousness, it’s really nice to see the attraction do well and back on a consistent pace. Hopefully the rough couple of weeks are paying off now and into the foreseeable future.

KevinPage

And today was the first time EVER that Join Boarding Group was not red for me (whether it was fresh/scratch or DMWAKPT).

I had to click MY STATUS, which then allowed me to join a group on that screen. My ❤️ almost skipped a beat waiting to for that screen to load. 😅

I had to select 2 people, as we are a party of 3 today. But it processed faster than usual.

First groups callled today were 3-5 (all at same time, if I’m correct)

ED12C829-7470-4671-B2BB-5BFD65E99A26.gif

KevinPage

Oh just remembered, I think it was @gerarar who was mentioning this effect not working since December......

Last week the blaster fire in the initial stormtrooper screen was working as was the arm that sticks out with Finn on the front AT AT view. Today was still working with initial storm troopers but side view ATT, the arm just comes out and moves, no blaster fire at all 😢.

gerarar

Premium Member
Oh just remembered, I think it was @gerarar who was mentioning this effect not working since December......

Last week the blaster fire in the initial stormtrooper screen was working as was the arm that sticks out with Finn on the front AT AT view. Today was still working with initial storm troopers but side view ATT, the arm just comes out and moves, no blaster fire at all 😢.
Yea the ones that seem to be a problem are the blaster fire effects in the AT-AT room, both from up above on the screens with the stormtroopers, and below near the arm and Finn. Surprisingly over at DL both have been working since opening.

abdelaziz

Agree, with a warning not to be second in line for a cast member, I heard one CM Friday letting a line of folks know that groups run out for them the same time it does for us (fast!), so if you need assistance but can’t find a cast member you can be first in line for to help you immediately when the park opens, it’s better to roll the dice and just try it yourself.
Thank you very much for the heads up, I'll definitly keep that in mind.
@abdelaziz
There are spots which have shown to have better wifi than others with in the park. Good luck!
Again thank you, this is very helpful. :D

Madeyong

Agree, with a warning not to be second in line for a cast member, I heard one CM Friday letting a line of folks know that groups run out for them the same time it does for us (fast!), so if you need assistance but can’t find a cast member you can be first in line for to help you immediately when the park opens, it’s better to roll the dice and just try it yourself.

I also agree with this. We were at HS for two park days a week ago. First time we were number 1 family in line at the GET umbrella and they told me to put my phone away and they scanned us in at 7:59 and got us Group 2 exactly when the clock struck 8:00.

Second day we were 4th or 5th family in line at GET. They said we would be able to do it faster on our phones by the time they got to us (I was very lucky to receive Group 6 using the Demarke method due to the advice on this board) but, interestingly, one GET team member told us while we were waiting in the line that if we have lots of people in our Friends and Family List that were not with us we should just get a Boarding Group for a party of one, as that would be quickest, and then they would be able to help manually add other members of our party to whatever group I got so long as they were there with me. I was quite surprised that they would actually advise to do that. YMMV. I had previously cleaned out Friends and Family so that only my wife and kids with me were on the list. I decided to take the fraction of a second it took to click “Select All” anyway so as to not have to wait for a GET cast member (and was really only there so I could get a cast member witness if the app happened to freeze or crash). Anyway, I wouldn’t recommend this but it seems like waiting at GET with the rest of your party and getting a boarding group for a party of one is kind of a loophole to get a quicker group with less clicks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom