News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

RobWDW1971

67 is just a terrible showing. It appears progress has gone backwards.
Assume that number was gone in the first minute? Somebody on another thread said that boarding passes at DHS we’re often available an hour after opening. When I was there recently I had less than a minute to get one for that day.

disneygeek90

Assume that number was gone in the first minute? Somebody on another thread said that boarding passes at DHS we’re often available an hour after opening. When I was there recently I had less than a minute to get one for that day.
Backups were available nearly 2 hours after open on Saturday. I’m not sure what the issues are this week.

KevinPage

Backups were available nearly 2 hours after open on Saturday. I’m not sure what the issues are this week.
903E86E3-D56B-4C12-820D-E6ACC4FACB75.gif

DennisN

I am literally having anxiety about this. Going this Tues and am so nervous about doing the BG. Neither my BF or myself have the most up to date android phones.
I have a 6+ year old Android and it worked fine to get BG 7. I determined that it took about 7-8 secs to start the app from scratch. At T-1 minute, I killed the MDE app (Apps->Force Stop) because MDE automatically restarts. At T-5 seconds, I started the app so it was up and running just after park open. Join Boarding Group was already red and I was able to click it. I only had to select my son and hit done.

Just learn everything you can from this forum. You'll be fine. For me, getting the BG was part of the whole experience. Good Luck!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
If we're not using Disney WiFi, are we really using bandwidth or app capacity that others in the park would benefit from? (Asking sincerely, as I'm not a techie. I do value the chance to practice ahead of time, but not at the expense of others.)
To me until you click "join group" past the family and friends screen and get the error you're not in the park you're really not using any more bandwidth on the app than if you were looking for a Space Mountain fastpass.
Sorry for the confusion -- "bandwidth" is a term of art in the industry referring to any limited discrete capability.

The MDE app servers can only tolerate so many connections. At opening time in AK, the system handling the BG process is likely saturated. If your MDE app is banging against the specific servers handling BG assignments at the same time as 8,000 or so others in the park, you're injecting connection and content request traffic that is being queued, then responded to, just like someone who's in the park trying desperately to get a BG they can actually use.

Considering that you can't possibly ride while you're not in Orlando, you're unnecessarily slowing down responses and perhaps even blocking a connection by someone who might have got a lower BG than if you weren't practicing during prime time.

disneygeek90

Sorry for the confusion -- "bandwidth" is a term of art in the industry referring to any limited discrete capability.

The MDE app servers can only tolerate so many connections. At opening time in AK, the system handling the BG process is likely saturated. If your MDE app is banging against the specific servers handling BG assignments at the same time as 8,000 or so others in the park, you're injecting connection and content request traffic that is being queued, then responded to, just like someone who's in the park trying desperately to get a BG they can actually use.

Considering that you can't possibly ride while you're not in Orlando, you're unnecessarily slowing down responses and perhaps even blocking a connection by someone who might have got a lower BG than if you weren't practicing during prime time.
So when the open time was 7am, were people scheduling fast passes 60 days out at 7am somehow hurting the people in HS that morning?

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
So when the open time was 7am, were people scheduling fast passes 60 days out at 7am somehow hurting the people in HS that morning?
Good question. Obviously, EVERYBODY is vying for the app's attention, and somewhere in the application level, requests for FP+s are split out from requests for BGs. We can only hope they've split those tasks up across multiple servers, and that they haven't co-allocated resources where the FP+ deluge interferes with the BG request deluge.

I can't imagine their system engineers didn't foresee this kind of traffic... :rolleyes:

They can take a lot of users simultaneously, but as we've all experienced, things like FP+ every day at 7 am and the first day of free dining promotions can result in Stitch licking his nose -- but then those people are all competing for the same limited resources, unlike FP+ versus BGs.

rustincohle

Resort guests get to do enough things in advance.
True - because they pay a lot more to WDW than locals/AP holders, especially those on long visits from foreign countries who aren’t coming back anytime soon.

I think it’s pretty fair to give resort guests with a 5+ day stay one ‘FP+’ for their trip, maybe a second if their resort stay is over 10 days.

This would also make rope drop & BGs waaaaay less hectic for non-resort guests, as I imagine most resort guests would be happy knowing they have one ride lined up and not worry about doing BGs. You could even bar resort guests with a ‘FP+’ from the ride from getting a BG, at least until after their ‘FP+’ has been used (if not for their whole stay).

There would obviously be less BGs available at opening, but there’d also be less people going for them. And Disney could spread out the resort ‘FP+’ so they aren’t all clumped together incase of a breakdown (at which point resort guests for that time could just get a paper FP like how it works now), maybe even focusing them around midday and later so people with BGs get in earlier after taking the time to get there at park opening.

I’m aware this forum is dominated by AP holders and locals who probably won’t like that, but I honestly think it’s pretty fair.

Twirlnhurl

I’m not paid to come up with a solution. But whoever decided on a plan that involves guest anxiously fiddling with their phones for a thirty second window probably shouldn’t be paid, either.

Are they giving vouchers or anything if you waste a day ticket and get screwed by their app?
Yes, if you go to guest relations within an hour of entering the park and explain that you only entered the park for the opportunity to ride Rise and that you are leaving because they are out of boarding groups, they should put the day back on your ticket. This is why it is vitally important that all the days boarding groups be distributed at once. If they were distributed throughout the day, guest relations wouldn't be able to provide compensation for guests entering the park and not being able to ride Rise.

Additionally, giving hotel guests a Rise FP+ for every 5 days at the resort would likely be more than the current guaranteed boarding group capacity for the ride.

I am really hoping they push the opening back up to 7am. The reports about the 8am openings I've read are making me nervous about my planned trip to take my dad to see the new ride in a few weeks. Of the three times I've ridden the ride, only once have I secured a boarding group lower than 67.

Last edited:

Roxane

True - because they pay a lot more to WDW than locals/AP holders, especially those on long visits from foreign countries who aren’t coming back anytime soon.

I'm a passholder that goes at least once a week since I was 18 (over 20 years). I can promise you I spend way more money in a year at WDW that anyone staying for a week or two at concierge level, and I'm spending that money all the time, even when it's slow.

Passholders are Disney's bread and butter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom