News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
We just realized that we're missing two magic bands that we were going to reuse for our trip this year, but we do have real tickets from a trip that we could use. Anyone have any experience with entering HS using a ticket instead of a magic band?

You will need RFID enabled media. If your tickets are already the correct type.. its just like using a magic band. Register your tickets using the barcode number into MDE. If they are older style tickets, you will have to visit a guest relations location first and swap the tickets out.

disrunner9

Yes I’m gonna quote myself (for my next feat I’ll reference myself in the 3rd person 😛)

Let’s put this into a sports metaphor.

The fresh from scratch wait til 7am “almost” guarantees you’ll finish the race in 2nd or 3rd place.

Jumping the gun (being in the app and refreshing) MAY get you into 1st place but also runs the risk of coming in 10th place (or worst case scenario) being disqualified (not getting a BG).

So when the difference between 1st, 2nd or 3rd is essentially meaningless to negligible, I’m gonna go with the most possible chance to guarantee results

#TeamFresh
#TeamScratch
#DontClickEarly

Thanks!! This is a great recap and I totally follow the metaphor. I'm on the same page of trying to be in 2nd or 3rd place and get on the ride (relatively) early in the day, rather than risking it all to be first.

Kamikaze

Half hour isn't bad at all but I don't have faith I'll get a good number. Still weighing if I'm going to attempt it.

The BG number you get has little to do with actual in-line wait. Unless you get one of the groups that are very, very low and you can go ride immediately upon ride open.

disneygeek90

The BG number you get has little to do with actual in-line wait. Unless you get one of the groups that are very, very low and you can go ride immediately upon ride open.
IMO the line stays pretty comfortable throughout the day until you get to the really late groups in a day of technical issues or the backup groups. My friends had group 80 last week and waited 35 mins to the preshow.

MJJME

Epcot is the biggest park by a mile and the # of people issued boarding groups is a literal drop in the bucket compared to their capacity.
Right I agree. But when you take its "average crowd" and then drop another group of people that wouldn't "normally" be there it's more crowded right?

BoardwalkGlenn

Here’s my recap from yesterday and today.

Both days:
  • Turned my phone off/on while in hotel room getting ready
  • Turned off Wi-Fi after entering HS
  • Didn’t open MDE until clock was about 06:59:30
  • Clicked “Find Out More”
  • Clicked “My Status”
  • Clicked “Join Boarding Group” added party and whatever else required after that.

Sunday 1/26/20:
  • Walked from Boardwalk at 6:25 and was in HS 6:45 (security/ticket scanned)
  • Grabbed coffee from Fairfax Fair Anaheim Produce and sat at tables nearby (guests lined Sunset Blvd and CMs kept them in the street and off sidewalk)
  • Followed my MDE app steps above
  • Got Boarding Group 10 and was called at 7:15 to return by 8:15
  • Immediately went to attraction and didn’t wait at all. Everything worked as far as I could tell.
    1181289C-9B82-4115-9F76-7D194EC16C97.png

23A99E65-EBFC-4A46-A199-730673D664FF.jpeg
Monday 1/27/20:
  • Walked from Boardwalk and was at HS in front of turnstile at 5:40. Held at gate until 6:25.
  • After scanning tickets, walked to next hold point near Frozen Sing-a-long.
  • Followed my MDE steps above
  • Got Boarding Group 5
  • About a minute later, we were walked back to Smuggler’s Run. What an awful walk but CM did a great job filtering everyone down to 2 across.
  • While walking, my BG was called to return by 8:10. I decided to stick with the SR line as I was near the front of the pack.
  • After SR, I went to RotR but it was down.
  • Used my FP at Star Tours.
  • Circled back to RotR and was back up so I went in. Short wait in queue but able to ride and all seemed to be working
    470F9DF5-ACBB-4094-BF7E-BE1AEBFB1AA1.png

B644E833-4474-433C-8C28-30F33EBA55EC.jpeg

Edit: corrected to Anaheim Produce

Last edited:

Kamikaze

Epcot is the biggest park by a mile and the # of people issued boarding groups is a literal drop in the bucket compared to their capacity.

AK is biggest in terms of land area.
MK has the most attractions.
MK probably currently has the most guest accessible space as well, with current Epcot projects cutting it down.

MJJME

Epcot averages 33k per day and HS 30k per day BEFORE ROTR opened. So HS is probably averaging more guests per day with the new ride and all of Epcot's construction. So dumping even only 20% of the park average attendance into Epcot could def make Epcot feel crowded

KevinPage

Both days:
  • Clicked “My Status”
  • Clicked “Join Boarding Group” added party and whatever else required after that.

Sunday 1/26/20:
  • Grabbed coffee from Fairfax Fair and sat at tables nearby (guests lined Sunset Blvd and CMs kept them in the street and off sidewalk)
  • Immediately went to attraction and didn’t wait at all. Everything worked as far as I could tell.
    View attachment 444581

View attachment 444582
Monday 1/27/20:
  • Walked from Boardwalk and was at HS in front of turnstile at 5:40. Held at gate until 6:25.
  • Got Boarding Group 5
  • About a minute later, we were walked back to Smuggler’s Run. What an awful walk but CM did a great job filtering everyone down to 2 across.
  • While walking, my BG was called to return by 8:10. I decided to stick with the SR line as I was near the front of the pack.
  • Circled back to RotR and was back up so I went in. Short wait in queue but able to ride and all seemed to be working
    View attachment 444585
    View attachment 444587

Did you ever have to bounce back n forth within the app or close and restart or was Join Boarding Group red on 1st attempt each time?

disneygeek90

Both days:
  • Clicked “My Status”

Sunday 1/26/20:
  • Grabbed coffee from Fairfax Fair and sat at tables nearby (guests lined Sunset Blvd and CMs kept them in the street and off sidewalk)
    View attachment 444581

View attachment 444582
Monday 1/27/20:
  • Got Boarding Group 5
    View attachment 444585
    View attachment 444587
Why is your party zero on the first one lol? Did it take the app a second to load?

It's definitely way easier to get a crazy low number as single rider with the BG process. I don't think it was any coincidence that the three people that made it into the attraction first on Sunday were all single riders with BG 8. It's skipping the whole "select your party" step that saves a lot of time.
Did you have a bag with you when entering security at Hollywood studios?
I always go bagless as the idea of getting stuck in a slow bag line stresses me out, especially if you're looking at a 6:30/6:40 arrival. Sometimes I'll bring a bag to leave in the car and go back to the car if I need it later.

Last edited:

BoardwalkGlenn

Did you ever have to bounce back n forth within the app or close and restart or was Join Boarding Group red on 1st attempt each time?

I did not have to bounce back and forth at all. Got it on 1st attempt

Did you have a bag with you when entering security at Hollywood studios?

No bags for me.

Why is your party zero on the first one lol? Did it take the app a second to load?

It's definitely way easier to get a crazy low number as single rider with the BG process. I don't think it was any coincidence that the three people that made it into the attraction first on Sunday were all single riders with BG 8. It's skipping the whole "select your party" step that saves a lot of time.

I panicked at first when I saw the zero and made my partner continue to try to make sure it said we were both in a group already. My screen updated shortly after that showing party of 2.

The Mighty Tim

I have a question that does not seem to have been addressed in the thread so far.

I hear a lot about not using WiFi to get a boarding group - instead using your 4G data connectivity to increase the chances of success. However, in my case, this is not practical, due to the extortionate costs of data rates when using my phone abroad (according to my last text, it would cost me 7.20 GBP [9.40 USD] per MB). Thus, since WiFi would be my only reasonable method of using MDE and to get a boarding group, I'd have to get to DHS first thing, what are my chances of getting a boarding group?

My trip isn't until September, but I like to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom