News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
When I was there last weekend, I was being seated at 50's Prime Time Cafe when my boarding group was called. Since the window is 2 hours, we ate lunch like normal and still had about 50 minutes to get to the ride.

When we got off the ride, we were 25 minutes late for our reservation at Oga's Cantina, and when we explained why we were late, they were very accommodating and still let us in (with another wait of approximately 20 minutes).

So I wouldn't worry about it too much. I would use the entire 2 hour window if necessary and let the restaurant reservation times be more like guide lines.
I went two weeks ago and had a reservation for Oga's at 11:20, then a reservation for Savi's Lightsaber at 12:50. My boarding group was called at 10:20. Scared of missing one of my reservations for a potentially long line I asked one of the people working the front of Oga's what I should do, and they said immediately in character, "Look, I haven't seen Oga around yet today, how about we just get you in there now. What do you think Oga would prefer; being early or late?"

Thanks to you both for sharing your experiences. Glad to hear they were accommodating. I know it’s a bit silly to worry about a bunch of tiny “what if’s” but it is reassuring to know it’ll work out.

TrainsOfDisney

I've got parents who are 68 years old going to HS on Tuesday. They aren't very technologically savvy. I've been giving them a game plan to get a boarding group. I told them they need to get there and be sure to get on the app at 7am. I suggested using data and NOT the WiFi. I've looked through the last few days of messages, but forgive me if I've missed this...What time do they allow you to start tapping in to the park?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

This is the type of thing that makes this system very unfair. It favors people who have a smart phone and are very knowledgeable about tech. - I realize that’s more and more people these days, but it seems sad to me that the system favors them so much.

TrainsOfDisney

Backup groups closed at 8:14 this morning, with the first starting at 95. Guaranteed groups closed in about a minute or two of opening.

Groups currently called at 8:25 are 9-26.

So at 7:09 I got 112... how far did they go if they gave out backup groups for another hour? I know the main surge is at opening but there is still a steady stream of guests arriving as the park opens.

i keep thinking the debut of MMRR will allow them to open standby and Fastpass+.

Even more likely once Rat passes the initial rush.

Having boarding groups at each park would spread the crowds even further by ensuring the rides are fully utilized at opening (ideally).

BGs could be limited the more parks they are offered at. All my opinion.
I would imagine that there will be a big announcement if/when Smuggler's Run and/or Rise of the Resistance are slated to get Fast Pass so all of the resort guests are aware. I would also imagine the announced date will be at least 90 days in the future because that's the largest Fast Pass reservation window.

Since that hasn't happened yet, I don't see Runaway Railway having any impact right now. In fact, Runaway Railway appears to be opening without Fast Pass as well. It's entirely possible that Disney may not open any new rides with Fast Pass enabled going forward.

jt04

I would imagine that there will be a big announcement if/when Smuggler's Run and/or Rise of the Resistance are slated to get Fast Pass so all of the resort guests are aware. I would also imagine the announced date will be at least 90 days in the future because that's the largest Fast Pass reservation window.

Since that hasn't happened yet, I don't see Runaway Railway having any impact right now. In fact, Runaway Railway appears to be opening without Fast Pass as well. It's entirely possible that Disney may not open any new rides with Fast Pass enabled going forward.

Agreed. Would like to see them have guests choose between RotR and MMRR BGs once both are open. Then spread that strategy to the other parks. Once Tron and Guardians open it would really spread the crowds out. It is starting to seem like maybe that was the intention for adding an E+ attraction at each park. Will be fun to see how they handle the 50th. I think they are on the right track. IMO.

disneygeek90

This is the type of thing that makes this system very unfair. It favors people who have a smart phone and are very knowledgeable about tech. - I realize that’s more and more people these days, but it seems sad to me that the system favors them so much.
I sat next to an older couple while we were waiting for groups to unlock last Saturday. I just mentioned that they could both try to get a group, then the man kindly told me they only have one phone. In fact, he bought like a $50 old iPhone just to carry around for his Disney trip and activated it for like a week.

Like everything in life and as much as people like to complain about the Disney planning, vacations take effort and it pays to understand processes no matter where you go. And after all that, they got BG 53, even better than the 57 I had that day with an app error.

drizgirl

dizneycrazy09

The timing of this post was too perfect.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Heading down next week and have some little fans that are eager to ride. In order to make sure we get on, what time should we get to the park? Any tips to get on?

1. Check the time of park opening at least the day before, it can change.

2. Plan to arrive at DHS a half hour before that park opening time so that you and everyone in your party has 'tapped into' the park before that opening time.

3. Have an app on your phone that shows the seconds time. Ten minutes before opening time, restart your phone. Make sure you have a good connection to your cellular service or the park WiFi. Make sure location services are on.

4. At exactly opening time, start the Disney app. Select getting a boarding group, choose your party members, and select join a group.

That gives you the best chance for an earlier "guaranteed" spot.

I've got parents who are 68 years old going to HS on Tuesday. They aren't very technologically savvy. I've been giving them a game plan to get a boarding group. I told them they need to get there and be sure to get on the app at 7am. I suggested using data and NOT the WiFi. I've looked through the last few days of messages, but forgive me if I've missed this...What time do they allow you to start tapping in to the park?

Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

You may have mentioned it to them and forgotten to mention it here, but aside from getting into the park by open by far the most important thing you can tell them in this instance is to be close to Cast Members (I believe you want the ones with Ipads that are specifically there to help anybody struggling with these issues) when the boarding groups open.

You may have done the best possible job explaining how the app will work and how to get a BG but you really don't know how things will go when they actually make their attempt, so positioning themselves near someone who will be able to help them should they have any issues is essential.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom