News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

dreamfinder

So, are people being given free admission for another day if their group doesn’t get called? And they were not in a “backup group?”

We were in guest relations last week for something and I overheard someone being given a comped day. I figured something pretty extraordinary must have happened.
We heard there were comp days given to people who told early their non-back up Group would not board....

I want to say that started happening around 3:00 yesterday for groups 90 and above ....the Back up groups were just told sorry my peeps

Couldn’t tell you how many people really got the comps, what criteria was used, or if all comps were equal....or if none of the Back up groups got any type of comp
**edit** I did see one Gues’s comp, a non transferable 1 day hopper...the had BG 107

From day 1, if a normal standard group was issued, and not called, they were doing recovery. And it has pretty much been a 1 day comp ticket and a "FP" to get in line, without having to get a boarding group that day. After they issued a bunch of these, they started doing the backup groups, which don't come with any promises. So there is still a big benefit from getting an earlier boarding group. Unfortunately, after they have to do the recovery the number of normal boarding groups the next day will be less, to account for the people with the recovery "FP"s. Lots of info in the big long thread about RoTR boarding groups in the Studios Redevelopment section.

Can you get your boarding group and then leave the park?

Like, would I be able to arrive at 7:00-7:30, get into the park, get my boarding pass, and then head to another park (especially if I end up in a backup boarding group that won't board until end of the day). I'm not the biggest Hollywood Studios fan, and there's no way I can kill up to 12 hours lol.

Yes, once you have your boarding group you can do anything you want. Back when it took a while for boarding groups to fill up, there were locals who were purposely trying to get boarding groups in the 100 or so range. They would go to work for the day, and then come back after work to ride.

Kamikaze

I wonder? I know the 1st time we attempted to join a Boarding Group, we drove over and the Join Boarding Group@ tab didn’t turn red until we were in the Parking Lot. I assume that means our long range RFID had picked up at that point? If that is correct, MAYBE someone could tap in to the Park, go back out, and as long as they didn’t go far they’d be good? Maybe hang in the parking lot?

Dang’d if I risk it....

Its not using RFID for that, its geolocating your phones GPS. The size of the 'are you in the park' check is generous enough to include some surrounding area because some phones are bad at nailing down exact location.

That said - I wouldn't go anywhere far. Once you are outside that radius you won't be able to join.

disneygeek90

Its not using RFID for that, its geolocating your phones GPS. The size of the 'are you in the park' check is generous enough to include some surrounding area because some phones are bad at nailing down exact location.

That said - I wouldn't go anywhere far. Once you are outside that radius you won't be able to join.
I don’t buy the geolocating your phone spiel. IMO all Disney is checking for is a valid park ticket scanned in that day.

KevinPage

I’m normally OCD and like to clear out my notifications but seeing this (even after the fact) pleases me 😍🥰😍

3389684B-2A8B-4946-BFC8-222B184602F8.jpeg

KevinPage

As a weekend park visitor, I’ve had amazing luck. Only evac’d from line 1x, preshow 1x, 1x BG not called & 1 truncated (but completed) ride.

Never had any effects NOT working and no delayed starts on my 11 visits (knock on wood).

I feel like I’m testing fate with this weekend’s Saturday/Sunday visits 🤣🤣🤣

Jon81uk

Its not even that sophist acted. It checks to see if your ticket media has been used to enter the park. That's it, the only thing it needs to know is that you have paid admission and gone through the turnstile.

Dad 2 M & M

I don’t buy the geolocating your phone spiel. IMO all Disney is checking for is a valid park ticket scanned in that day.
Its not even that sophist acted. It checks to see if your ticket media has been used to enter the park. That's it, the only thing it needs to know is that you have paid admission and gone through the turnstile.
In my post I was referring to the “My Status” and “Join Boarding Group” turning red (this happened as we entered the parking lot) once we were in close proximity to DHS.....one would still have to tap in to the Park to actually join a Boarding Group

disneygeek90

In my post I was referring to the “My Status” and “Join Boarding Group” turning red (this happened as we entered the parking lot) once we were in close proximity to DHS.....one would still have to tap in to the Park to actually join a Boarding Group
Join Boarding group doesn’t turn red until groups open, no matter where you are.

lukacseven

Any indication as to how much longer the boarding group format will be used? I read once M&MRR opens on 03/04, that ROTR will go to standby only or begin allowing FP+??? I'm planning a late April trip & wondering if I have to deal with the boarding groups, or if I need to start monitoring FP+ availability, or just plan on waiting in standby.

flynnibus

Premium Member

These are different features being discussed. The app knowing your location for mapping and proximity to parks is not the same thing as 'admission checks' if you want to call that which is being used to allow boarding groups. Ticketing/admission is not using geo-location.. it's using your activity at the turnstyle.

disneygeek90

Hopefully it’s not done simply to prevent @disneygeek90 from getting into the double digits. I mean I fully support that logic “in theory”, but I do want the ride to function properly sooner rather than later.🧐

Definitely a “Sophie’s Choice” situation. 😂😂😂
I didn't try and tackle a backup group today lol. But a day like yesterday or today would definitely be par for the course for me.

I'll have 10 or 11 by the weekend. I could actually be a lot closer to you if it wasn't for the early scheme loophole and any of my backups were called ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom