News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Leia'sMom

Good morning! Loving how lucky we all are to be so passionate about going to the happiest place on earth and riding cool new rides -- liking the wait or not! Thank you all for your diligent watch on this for those of us coming down to the World soon. THANK YOU all for your thoughts -- good bad and indifferent. Wherever you stay, however much you spend, whether you agree or disagree, I've been hopping on here daily to see how on earth I'm going to manage to ride this ride next week before I get up really early two days in a row to run the Goofy. So thank you! And I look forward to continuing to see the updates. My current thought is Thursday early morning. Just me because my DH won't get up that early for a ride. Hope I get a BG, and then maybe bail out to go to the Expo to pick up my packet and the like. Looking forward to seeing the updates continuing!

rowrbazzle

I agree with some members who are courageous enough to say that, this system isn't that simple for international guests, older folks, those not tech savvy, or people unfamiliar with social media.

I get this, but these people aren’t gonna be the ones waiting in a 210 min standby either. Honestly the ones that are able and want to ride more are the ones that are going to, at least for now until it dies down a bit. Both options (VQ and standby) aren’t good for these guests, but idk how you really fix that in the current state.

And neither is fastpass or fastpass+. Disney may have long since passed many of these guests by.

TrainsOfDisney

If we want to talk about safety issues - 10,000 people lined up at the park entrance for two hours is far more unsafe than "more traffic than normal when the parking lot opens".
I hate how they have everyone crammed in now instead of the single file lines they had before

This and this.... I couldn’t believe that Disney was actually using the system that they were using. It’s extremely dangerous and honestly shouldn’t be legal. It’s exactly how people get trampled.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If Rise were running smoothly and at full capacity, I think we would see similar waits to Flight of Passage, not 10 hour waits.

The advantages of
- getting compensation if your wait fails
- avoiding queueing, and getting kicked out of line and having to requeue in the main line
- avoiding dedicating yourself to this one attraction
- making the attraction accessible to everyone, including those that can not physically tolerate such a wait
- avoiding having to figure out where to put all those people in line

All outweigh the negative of losing the check and balance of wait tolerance.

DarkMetroid567

The advantages of
- getting compensation if your wait fails
- avoiding queueing, and getting kicked out of line and having to requeue in the main line
- avoiding dedicating yourself to this one attraction
- making the attraction accessible to everyone, including those that can not physically tolerate such a wait
- avoiding having to figure out where to put all those people in line

All outweigh the negative of losing the check and balance of wait tolerance.

It’s just hard to make this a unique argument. You could very easily say all of this in favor of adding Virtual Queue to Flight of Passage.

Not to mention, these benefits matter little if the average guest isn’t made aware of them. I’m not against changing the status quo, but if Disney wanted to do so, they should have been more diligent in getting that information out.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to mention, these benefits matter little if the average guest isn’t made aware of them. I’m not against changing the status quo, but if Disney wanted to do so, they should have been more diligent in getting that information out.

You keep beating this horse and its simply that it is NEW information - not that disney isn’t making it available. Disney puts the info at the park, in the app, on the web, the cast at the hotels are trained etc. The same problem exists with most elements of a disney vacation... your normal expectations of reality do not apply... you must learn the disney realities of vacation planning. This is no different.

Maybe someone doesn’t know about it on their first try... but they can easily find what they need after that.

And yes, there is a strong argument for doing something like this for all high demand attractions. The biggest issue with doing it too much is it clashes with Disney’s scheme of conditioning guests into planning out their whole trip and convincing them its about garunteeing experiences

DarkMetroid567

You keep beating this horse and its simply that it is NEW information - not that disney isn’t making it available. Disney puts the info at the park, in the app, on the web, the cast at the hotels are trained etc. The same problem exists with most elements of a disney vacation... your normal expectations of reality do not apply... you must learn the disney realities of vacation planning. This is no different.

Maybe someone doesn’t know about it on their first try... but they can easily find what they need after that.

And yes, there is a strong argument for doing something like this for all high demand attractions. The biggest issue with doing it too much is it clashes with Disney’s scheme of conditioning guests into planning out their whole trip and convincing them its about garunteeing experiences

It’s just so very unlike even the strange Disney reality. Once again, this is a still a unique scenario. A guest who walked into WDW for the first time right now could still, theoretically, ride Flight of Passage, build a lightsaber at Savi’s, and end their night at ‘Ohana with no prep whatsoever. Would it be hard as hell? Absolutely. But the potential exists.

The CM’s at resorts have been pretty poor with Rise information, from my experience. I don’t disagree with the usage of VQ as I’ve said before, but I do feel like that there are very simple fixes that Disney is purposefully avoiding.

Rob562

The CM’s at resorts have been pretty poor with Rise information, from my experience. I don’t disagree with the usage of VQ as I’ve said before, but I do feel like that there are very simple fixes that Disney is purposefully avoiding.

It sounds like they need to take the VQ leaflet from the Studios and push it out to the resorts to include in their welcome packets for the near future. Make it available in multiple languages.

-Rob

Tom Morrow

But then they'll just line up at the parking booths or on Osceola, or...
No. They. Won't. Disney has 100% power and authority to prevent them and all it would take is a couple extra security CM positions. You can easily prevent people from reaching the parking booths by blocking the offramps to them on Osceola Parkway. Alternatively you can direct anyone who enters early out of the parking lot.

The 10,000 people lining up at the park entrance (NOT parking lot entrance) for two hours is far more unsafe than having to redirect early arrivals - early arrivals which would mostly cease a few days after they officially post their new policy.

Instead they're staffing an entire theme park three hours early and forcing guests to get there early if they want to ride and it's entirely unnecessary. Perhaps its about how it's perceived, "Look! People are lining up at 4 AM for our new ride!!" Make no mistake, I have no issues about getting there early and first come, first serve, I do have issues about getting there unnecessarily early.

TrainsOfDisney

No. They. Won't. Disney has 100% power and authority to prevent them and all it would take is a couple extra security CM positions. You can easily prevent people from reaching the parking booths by blocking the offramps to them on Osceola Parkway. Alternatively you can direct anyone who enters early out of the parking lot.

The 10,000 people lining up at the park entrance (NOT parking lot entrance) for two hours is far more unsafe than having to redirect early arrivals - early arrivals which would mostly cease a few days after they officially post their new policy.

Instead they're staffing an entire theme park three hours early and forcing guests to get there early if they want to ride and it's entirely unnecessary. Perhaps its about how it's perceived, "Look! People are lining up at 4 AM for our new ride!!" Make no mistake, I have no issues about getting there early and first come, first serve, I do have issues about getting there unnecessarily early.

And I have issues with packing people into a potential stampede situation. Honestly how would one contact reedy creek fire marshal about this? There has to be a capacity for the security area correct?

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

And I have issues with packing people into a potential stamped situation. Honestly how would one contact reedy creek fire marshal about this? There has to be a capacity for the security area correct?
It's possible that when it reaches their defined capacity is when they decide to start letting everyone into the park, which is what makes the unofficial opening time somewhat random. But this goes back to my other point, if you don't create a situation where people are allowed to arrive super early, causing more and more people to arrive super early, then the crowd doesn't have time to build up to the ridiculous extremes that it currently does.

TrojanUSC

Seriously? Are you that clueless? And I have heard this over and over again from other people. Just completely clueless. Look at the facts. Let's say you are a family of 6 like mine and you are an annual pass holder The 6 of you go to the park every day for the same week I am there in April. Here's what it cost me to stay for the week I am going in April 16-23: $19,460.40.
I need 2 bedroom b I have 6. That does include park hopper but no dining plan. So this does not include the 21 meals I will eat in Disney restaurants over the 8 days or any merchandise or the cost of my cabana rental or the cost of the hop Dee do. Now do you get my point? And don't say "yeah I go every day of the year." Because my family if 6 is being replaced by the next family of 6 the day I checkout. And also the argument of "why don't you stay in a value" is also stupid because this deluxe 2 bedroom room still gets filled and this is Who they are comparing you too. Same stupid argument for staying off site. Fine, but they still sell out the onsite. This is why they continue to build new hotels and cater to the hotel people. AP locals just have to accept that Disney considers them lower priority vs resort guests.

Great, thanks for sharing how much you overpay for a vacation and continuing to be ignorant of the facts. I'll go with my data that is accurate from years of working for the company. Again I point out that Disney has so many resorts on-property that the actual APs are a small dent in the number of people waiting at DHS in the morning. Second, your average resort hotel guest comes once every three years and spent about $10-12K with Disney on their trip. In the intervening 36 months, APs (who are often resort guests themselves) come many more times than that, buy/collect exclusive merchandise, eat on property, etc. These people often prove to be as valuable as resort guests over time than just a small period, every few years, while their kids are young. Unless your theory is just to give priority to those dropping at least $20K on two bedroom suites like you?

Last edited:

VaderTron

Sorry to say, but at this point, I think all those who are going to listen to this argument already believe it. No need to keep harping on it. Those who don't want to see your point aren't going to just because it's constantly brought up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom