News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

DonaldDoleWhip

Today RnRC and ToT both opened before official park opening. Hit RnRC first and selected my boarding group from the ToT queue. Group 21!

Gotta say it’s pretty cool seeing this view before sunrise:

F9A9B1C2-3379-4554-946E-6D1A9164712E.jpeg

As of 6:26 groups 14 - 21 have been called.

Last edited:

ParentsOf4

The BG system is not better for resort guests. As a resort guest, you could book a FP 60 days out and not have to get up at 5am and be guaranteed a ride. It's better for non resort guests. Worse for resort guests.
The problem with using FP+ for RotR is one of ride capacity.

Flights of Passage (FOP) has been open for years and yet still is a difficult FP+ to get, even for onsite Guests.

For example, I was unable to get any FOP FP+ for the first 3 days of my most recent onsite stay. Despite checking for FP+ at 60 days, the best I found was a 5:30 pm FOP FP+ for the 4th day.

IMO, it's much better for onsite Guests, particularly those with shorter stays, to plan on one early morning to get a RotR BG.

Presumably, Disney will continue to maintain tiered attractions at DHS for the foreseeable future. Onsite Guests will be able to use their single Tier 1 selection for Slinky Dog Dash or (eventually) Smugglers Run.

If RofR remained a "Boarding Groups only" attraction, then onsite Guests would be able to experience two Tier 1 attractions at DHS without long waits in Standby lines.

Last edited:

Twirlnhurl

Oh I don’t think they should stop the BGs, never said that. I just don’t understand where people get these ludicrous wait times I keep seeing on here. Not saying it’s impossible, I just don’t understand what those numbers are based on.

When I used to work at Epcot, there was definitely times when the wait time for Soarin would be posted at five hours on the week between Christmas and New Year's Eve. This was beforetthey added the 3rd theater and before Frozen Ever After opened, and before Fastpass+. I am not sure if it ever actually had a wait that long. But I know that all the fastpasses would be gone as soon as it was physically possible to distribute them, and that the standby line would extend out to the backstage alleyway between The Land and Imagination.

Likewise, wasn't the demand for Frozen Ever After so high when it opened (and it's reliability so low) that it's standby line was routinely closed because it was so long? Or am I misremembering this?

Opening summer for Gringotts routinely had waits over four hours, with opening day lines of seven hours. And that didn't have Fastpass to inflate standby wait times.

I have no particular dog in whatever this particular disagreement is about. But waits of greater than 240 minutes definitely can occur.

DisneyDreamer08

Only thing is, will anyone pick MMRR over ROTR? I certainly wouldn't

Yes, we would! We will be in Disney in a few weeks and I’ve been following this thread for my husband. He will be going into GE while me and my two girls (9 & 4) do the Frozen sing a long and Little Mermaid show. He will definitely be doing single rider for Smugglers Run and if we can get him a boarding pass for Rise then obviously he’ll do that as well. My girls and I will not be riding either. My girls know nothing about Star Wars and honestly, they’d be scared by the rides and characters. If the Mickey ride was open, we would 100% FP that over the Star Wars rides :)

Ravenclaw78

People keep talking about 5, 6, 7 hour lines. When has this ever happened? The longest I've ever seen is 3 hours, and that is on the peak busy days.

The Frozen M&G in Magic Kingdom had 5+ hour waits when it first opened. I snagged Fastpasses for a few days after opening, and if looks could kill, we'd have been murdered by hundreds of Standby guests as we walked into the FP+ line.

nickys

Premium Member
Under the Entitled Resort Guest doctrine that some are promoting,
Foreign Resort Guests should get ROTR priority over regular Resort Guest and everyone else since they "spend the most money" and the cost of missing ROTR and having to come back to Orlando again is the greatest.

Works for me! 😉😉😉😉😉

Although I do actually think that once the ride reliability is established that some advantage will be offered to resort guests on some days, whether that’s running the ride through evening EMH or some other option.

Until they inevitably do add FP+ for the ride.

Personally, I think they may look at changing things by the end of February. I don’t see them using a virtual queue for two rides at once in the same park. But who knows? 🤷‍♀️

VaderTron

The BG system is not better for resort guests. As a resort guest, you could book a FP 60 days out and not have to get up at 5am and be guaranteed a ride. It's better for non resort guests. Worse for resort guests.
You obviously have little experience using the 60 day FP+ window. At 7am 60 days before your trip you have to get online and book. Otherwise all the FP+ reservations are taken for new rides. In fact, if you have a short 2-3 night stay you still may not get a FP+ reservation for the most popular rides. That just means you booked at an onsite hotel and got an extra 60 days to book FP+ on ToT, Star Tours, and other rides that are available day-of. Seems to me that BG's are more advantageous and give on-site guests a better shot at riding new rides.

nickys

Premium Member
You obviously have little experience using the 60 day FP+ window. At 7am 60 days before your trip you have to get online and book. Otherwise all the FP+ reservations are taken for new rides. In fact, if you have a short 2-3 night stay you still may not get a FP+ reservation for the most popular rides. That just means you booked at an onsite hotel and got an extra 60 days to book FP+ on ToT, Star Tours, and other rides that are available day-of. Seems to me that BG's are more advantageous and give most on-site guests a better shot at riding new rides.

Agreed, with the addition of the bolded word.

Although if you are staying a week or more, you can get any FP you want. So from a purely selfish POV, since we always stay between 11 and 21 days, I would prefer to use FP+ and book it for a time of my choosing.

A real downside of the system as it is now is that for those who have base tickets, they could go into the park, find they cannot get a BG and cannot join a stand-by line either. So not only would they miss out on the ride, they are also stuck at DHS instead of deciding to park hop elsewhere. I’m not sure if GS would help them by allowing them to go to another park that day.

However, overall I think the Virtual Queue system levels the playing field for all in the initial months of a new ride. And I’d be happy to see it used for all new major rides from now on.

VaderTron

I actually do.......And there is a much greater advantage for a hotel guest to get a FP vs non hotel. I have never not been able to get a FP as a resort guest since FP+ has been implemented........I was actually part of a test group in 2013 as a DVC member on the new FP+ system. For resort guests, it works incredibly well...............
2013....lots of stuff at the parks has been ruined since then including 60 day FP+ window. Thanks for proving you deserve a spot on my ignore list as you have no credible information that I will need to hear.

Buh bye!

VaderTron

Agreed, with the addition of the bolded word.

Although if you are staying a week or more, you can get any FP you want. So from a purely selfish POV, since we always stay between 11 and 21 days, I would prefer to use FP+ and book it for a time of my choosing.

A real downside of the system as it is now is that for those who have base tickets, they could go into the park, find they cannot get a BG and cannot join a stand-by line either. So not only would they miss out on the ride, they are also stuck at DHS instead of deciding to park hop elsewhere. I’m not sure if GS would help them by allowing them to go to another park that day.

However, overall I think the Virtual Queue system levels the playing field for all in the initial months of a new ride. And I’d be happy to see it used for all new major rides from now on.
I agree that the BG system is far from perfect. However, the few people who would fall into your category pale in comparison to the number of on-site guests who would be unable to get a FP for the ride if that was the system they chose.

Ravenclaw78

Disney frequently opens additional FP+ slots for popular/tier-1 attractions at the 45-day (APs) and 30-day marks, and day-of slots for less popular/tier-2 attractions. I've been able to snag FPs for Flight of Passage at 30 days that I couldn't when my resort window for a short stay opened at 60 days, and I know quite a few offsite guests who have done so as well.

Kamikaze

Works for me! 😉😉😉😉😉

Although I do actually think that once the ride reliability is established that some advantage will be offered to resort guests on some days, whether that’s running the ride through evening EMH or some other option.

Until they inevitably do add FP+ for the ride.

Personally, I think they may look at changing things by the end of February. I don’t see them using a virtual queue for two rides at once in the same park. But who knows? 🤷‍♀️

Its going to be paid. Either paid FP or a party.

MMRR won't have boarding groups. It will just be FP/standby.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom