News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I know I'm going to jinx it by saying this, but so far so good today! They started loading the ride later in the day today than any day previously and are yet higher in the boarding groups at this time today than they have been previously. No notable downtime yet... fingers crossed!View attachment 434780

Indeed, we're now in the time period wherein for most days, the ride had significant stoppages.

flynnibus

Premium Member
To be fair, even with ~5k people (1 person loads a group of family/friends) using MDE from 6:30-7:15, thats far lower than use it during a 45 minute period when all the parks are open during the day.

It's not about how many people as much as it's about lots of people all trying to do the same thing in a short amount of time. During normal park ops there is high usage, but it's mostly randomized and doing lots of different things. This is thousands of people in a race to do the same exact thing in a very short period of time.

Completely different challenges from a design perspective. The network and front-end infrastructure is already built up to support many many many more clients simultaneously. The problem is everyone focusing on their client on the same task.. for the same resource.

BoarderPhreak

Finally got around to processing some opening day photos.

Here's the crowd/progression from opening day... I was basically at the very front of the line. 🤘

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

i.php

Last edited:

Kamikaze

It's not about how many people as much as it's about lots of people all trying to do the same thing in a short amount of time. During normal park ops there is high usage, but it's mostly randomized and doing lots of different things. This is thousands of people in a race to do the same exact thing in a very short period of time.

Completely different challenges from a design perspective. The network and front-end infrastructure is already built up to support many many many more clients simultaneously. The problem is everyone focusing on their client on the same task.. for the same resource.

I disagree. Hitting the same DB (or section of a DB) is going to be less resource intensive than spreading the load out across multiple. If it was my project, I would have spun up a separate AWS instance just for this, completely separate from everything else.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I disagree. Hitting the same DB (or section of a DB) is going to be less resource intensive than spreading the load out across multiple. If it was my project, I would have spun up a separate AWS instance just for this, completely separate from everything else.

Simply put.. no. First, your idea would maybe make sense if it were a read-only system... but it's not.

Second AWS is just infrastructure... it is not data design nor does it speak to the kind of checks the backend would go through (that can't be decoupled from the rest of your MDE-universe) before it would grant people slots.

Third... the original comment was about the idea of contention... vs your stated reference of just general traffic levels.

flynnibus

Premium Member
'm actually impressed that the BG booking is working so well, considering my experience with FP booking.

I am too.. you can find my earlier posts fearing that the 'all at once' rush would be a risk vs the slow-trickle the 'as people enter the park' model enforced.

disneygeek90

I am too.. you can find my earlier posts fearing that the 'all at once' rush would be a risk vs the slow-trickle the 'as people enter the park' model enforced.
I was getting some errors in my drop/add process this morning, but I was trying to book a group literally seconds after dropping it. After a couple more seconds it would update and give me a new group, overall pretty impressed in how quick it registered both the add and the drop.

Kamikaze

Simply put.. no. First, your idea would maybe make sense if it were a read-only system... but it's not.

Second AWS is just infrastructure... it is not data design nor does it speak to the kind of checks the backend would go through (that can't be decoupled from the rest of your MDE-universe) before it would grant people slots.

Third... the original comment was about the idea of contention... vs your stated reference of just general traffic levels.

A separate instance of AWS (or Google Cloud or Azure) would keep the boarding groups confined to one database, and you would only need the single button on MDE to point to that instance. That is the setup they currently have. You can't see the groups anywhere else in the app. Its trivial to route a button on an app to another site/DB. I would have done it separately because you can set the resources to peak in the periods around park open and then dial it back for the rest of the day, and not have to worry about potentially compromising the rest of the system due to the peak load.

There are only 4 points of data passed between MDE proper and the boarding groups:

1) Do you have a valid scanned in ticket?
2) Are you in the park?
3) Who is in your party?
4) Are you already in a boarding group?

3 of the 4 only have to be checked a single time - when you are put in a group - and only have to be passed one way. For a SQL query, thats actually a super simple check and very little data. I'd actually be shocked if the groups aren't a separate DB, because once they stop the groups here, they can reuse them for another ride in the future if its standalone.

Since the groups go in order, the BG DB itself would be simple - each group is 100 or whatever, and it contains the Magic Band RFID# and the number you scanned in numerically. Much, much less complicated than the FastPass database is since people can go in and out of those and change times all over the place.

Kamikaze

Any word on whether the switchback queue in the hangar bay returned today, or did sanity prevail and they removed it overnight?

I would hope its removed, but I don't really have a problem with them trying it. They need to do T&A to figure out what works and what doesn't work, and temporary things like a switchback may happen.

TimeTrip

That preferentially penalizes locals while having no real impact on vacationers.
This penalizes hard-core locals. As a local that wouldn't ride it more than 2-3 times a month, I wouldn't mind it as it would thin out some of the crowds that make me less likely to try to get that first experience in. I'm not saying that it's the right approach, just that it would benefit some locals :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom