News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

bubbles1812

There's no evidence that this would happen, you're just assuming it would. On New Years Eve, Magic Kingdom fills to capacity pretty quickly, and guess what, it doesn't become Mad Max Fury World Drive. The crowd arriving early for Rise is still significantly less than that situation, it just seems like a lot because unlike normal, the crowd is not being filtered naturally into the park.

If they were to not allow anyone to enter the parking lot (by blocking off the exits into the lot, not holding cars at the parking booths) until closer to scheduled park open, the strain on the security checkpoint and the entrance gates would actually be significantly reduced due to not being allowed to build up for three hours. Even if this places greater strain on the parking booths, they are equipped for this. They did, after all, build a new entrance to DHS for this exact situation.

You won't convince me that what I saw this morning was in any way safer or more controlled.
Lol. And how would you propose you block off guests who would walk in? A line of security guards around the perimeter of the park? If this had been the case last week, I likely would have just told my Lyft to drop me off at Boardwalk and walked over.

DHS does not have the luxury of an entire lake separating it from the main parking lots the way MK does. MK is limited by what the transportation center allows via the buses, ferry, and monorail. That ain’t the case here. Two entirely different situations.

People will always find a way if they truly desire to get there early. I know we would have. It’s not that hard to walk around a barrier and I can guarantee there would have been line ups at the booths.

@flynnibus has already articulated this much better than me in other posts but your ideas simply wouldn’t work. Unfortunately, it meant you had to experience Rise a little sleep deprived but I don’t think anyone is exactly feeling sorry for you.

ToTBellHop

Lol. And how would you propose you block off guests who would walk in? A line of security guards around the perimeter of the park? If this had been the case last week, I likely would have just told my Lyft to drop me off at Boardwalk and walked over.

DHS does not have the luxury of an entire lake separating it from the main parking lots the way MK does. MK is limited by what the transportation center allows via the buses, ferry, and monorail. That ain’t the case here. Two entirely different situations.

People will always find a way if they truly desire to get there early. I know we would have. It’s not that hard to walk around a barrier and I can guarantee there would have been line ups at the booths.

@flynnibus has already articulated this much better than me in other posts but your ideas simply wouldn’t work. Unfortunately, it meant you had to experience Rise a little sleep deprived but I don’t think anyone is exactly feeling sorry for you.
If someone is such a fragile snowflake that they can’t wake up by 5 am, they can just wait 6 months to ride.

Weather_Lady

I think the optimist would leave it w/o FP longer...

Agreed. I actually prefer the idea that I can use my one "good" HS FP+ for something else, and wait for RoTR in a virtual queue without having to waste precious rope drop time or fight any crowds, all for the small effort of showing up early. I hope the Boarding Groups stay around for a good, long time... or at least, until after February break when my family will be there...

Tom Morrow

The mental gymnastics you guys are performing to think that Disney can't prevent people from entering their own facilities on their own 47 square miles of private property is laughable. "How will you stop people from walking in???" Um, you place a security guard there? Wow, done.

There is amble evidence.. you just ignore it. It's why the process exists in the first place.. TO DIFFUSE LOAD and make things more organized. It's why Disney opens the park before actual rope drop and has done for years.
Where is the evidence? My evidence is New Years Eve, 7 AM, every year, forever, in which total chaos does not actually happen despite a similar risk of not getting in the park/on the ride.

And this is where you are fundamentally wrong and why you can't get your head around this. If 10,000 people are motivated to get to the park first... that's the number. It doesn't matter if the park opens 30mins early, or 0 mins early. That many people have decided it's worth showing up and want to be first or nearly first. You have 10,000 people you need to get onto property, manage the crowd, through security, and ultimately through your ticketing gate.

So what is better... having 10,000 people show up in a 20min window, or having 10,000 people show up over a longer period of time? If you read nothing else... read this one line over and over until it makes sense to you.p
Where are you getting 20 minutes from? All along I've been saying an hour to an hour and a half prior to scheduled opening as opposed to three hours.

As is, there are already 10,000 people lined up before 6 AM. The ONLY thing the current setup of allowing them to arrive 3 hours early instead of 90 minutes early does is force everyone stand around, corralled in a giant pen, for longer than they would have to otherwise. They ARE equipped to control the resulting crowds that would show up 90 minutes prior. They have the staffing. They have the newly built infrastructure to handle this exact situation.

Why on earth do you think concerts and events open the stadium hours before showtime?
They also let people in to the venue as they show up, as opposed to corralling them in a giant, 10,000 person pen for two hours.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

If someone is such a fragile snowflake that they can’t wake up by 5 am, they can just wait 6 months to ride.
If you wake up at 5:00 AM you are already risking not getting a boarding pass. It's more like 3:30/4:00. And it's not about waking up early, it's about waking up early unnecessarily because they've allowed the arrival time to snowball to that early.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Where is the evidence? My evidence is New Years Eve, 7 AM, every year, forever, in which total chaos does not actually happen despite a similar risk of not getting in the park/on the ride.

The evidence is EVERY DAY AT THE PARKS they open the gates earlier than posted time. Why? Because it diffuses the initial crush trying to get through the bottleneck of the gates.

Your NYE example isn't really even applicable.. it's a different situation. If you get there after 7am, are you excluded from getting in? No.. shutdowns don't start happening until later and then often phase in and out. It's not even the same situation to model the reason for demand BEFORE A FIXED TIME.

The demand to be 'be early' now is because people know there is a drop dead deadline. If you aren't within that block of people.. you will be excluded. The same type of demand doesn't exist for NYE because capacity isn't as constrained, nor is it as cutthroat.

And guess what... they open the gates early on NYE too... and let people in the lots earlier than that time. Try to figure out in your head why that is... the answers have already been given to you.

ToTBellHop

If you wake up at 5:00 AM you are already risking not getting a boarding pass. It's more like 3:30/4:00. And it's not about waking up early, it's about waking up early unnecessarily because they've allowed the arrival time to snowball to that early.
If you are on WDW property, you’ll have no issue if you wake at 5 am. Just skip your makeup, put a hat on, grab a Lyft at 5:15, you’re there by 5:30 and easily will get a BG under 50.
1576616679887.gif

PolynesianPrincess

If people are told "the parking lot doesn't open til XX:XX time" they're still going to get there early so they can be up front in the line of cars waiting to get in the parking lot. Same thing if they don't let people walking over from Epcot resorts past a certain point. If they know they'll be held at such and such location til xx:xx time, people will still arrive early to be at the front of the line waiting to be given access at xx:xx time. No matter what happens, there will be a line of people waiting be it by car or by walking.

If people are told "the parking lot doesn't open til XX:XX time" they're still going to get there early so they can be up front in the line of cars waiting to get in the parking lot. Same thing if they don't let people walking over from Epcot resorts past a certain point. If they know they'll be held at such and such location til xx:xx time, people will still arrive early to be at the front of the line waiting to be given access at xx:xx time. No matter what happens, there will be a line of people waiting be it by car or by walking.
I arrived today at 4am via Lyft and the parking lot is open for Lyft and others. There were already a significant number of people there at 4am

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom