News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Tom Morrow

Instead you'd have 2+ hrs worth of people all trying to show up at once... snarling traffic... backing up transportation... chaos as people all slam the security or gates at once.. and huge backups. And no one getting in any wuicker or more efficiently.
There's no evidence that this would happen, you're just assuming it would. On New Years Eve, Magic Kingdom fills to capacity pretty quickly, and guess what, it doesn't become Mad Max Fury World Drive. The crowd arriving early for Rise is still significantly less than that situation, it just seems like a lot because unlike normal, the crowd is not being filtered naturally into the park.

If they were to not allow anyone to enter the parking lot (by blocking off the exits into the lot, not holding cars at the parking booths) until closer to scheduled park open, the strain on the security checkpoint and the entrance gates would actually be significantly reduced due to not being allowed to build up for three hours. Even if this places greater strain on the parking booths, they are equipped for this. They did, after all, build a new entrance to DHS for this exact situation.

You won't convince me that what I saw this morning was in any way safer or more controlled.

Last edited:

tkeerl

I have a question about when they make the switch to FP+. I am arriving Mid Feb and my FP+ window starts this Thursday. Do theu announce the switchover 60 days in advance? So if FP is not available Thursday, can I assume it will still be BP?

flynnibus

Premium Member
There's no evidence that this would happen, you're just assuming it would

There is amble evidence.. you just ignore it. It's why the process exists in the first place.. TO DIFFUSE LOAD and make things more organized. It's why Disney opens the park before actual rope drop and has done for years.

If they were to not allow anyone to enter the parking lot (by blocking off the exits into the lot, not holding people at the booths) until closer to scheduled park open, the strain on the security checkpoint and the entrance gates would actually be significantly reduced due to not being allowed to build up for three hours.

And this is where you are fundamentally wrong and why you can't get your head around this. If 10,000 people are motivated to get to the park first... that's the number. It doesn't matter if the park opens 30mins early, or 0 mins early. That many people have decided it's worth showing up and want to be first or nearly first. You have 10,000 people you need to get onto property, manage the crowd, through security, and ultimately through your ticketing gate.

So what is better... having 10,000 people show up in a 20min window, or having 10,000 people show up over a longer period of time? If you read nothing else... read this one line over and over until it makes sense to you.

Opening the park earlier is not responsible for how many people have determined to be first or nearly first. That demand is there because of the attraction and limited capacity. Everything is about how you absorb, manage, and process that crowd.

Telling people you are going to be a time nazi on when the gate opens does not change the demand for the attraction or the necessity to be there 'as early as you can'. All it does it COMPRESS THE TIME WINDOW you have to absorb and process those people.

Why on earth do you think concerts and events open the stadium hours before showtime? Because the crowd goes through bottlenecks and they don't want everyone SHOWING UP AT THE SAME TIME. Doing so creates unnecessary backups, crowd control problems, and new safety/security issues. The attendees all know they have to be there by a common time .. so the venue's actions by when they open the gates and parking are done to help encourage people to show up over a wider period of time so its not everyone trying to be in the same spot at the same time. No one wants to be late to the show start.. so they are encouraged to show up early to help spread the demand and reduce the impact of the bottlenecks.

This is exactly what happens at park opening as well. People know they are trying to be there by a common time... 'just before opening' (or just before showtime..). The same exact problems persist.. they don't want everyone showing up at the same time, nor everyone overflowing their crowd controls which are not setup to handle this kind of boxed up crowd. (just like concerts have bottlenecks at ticketing, parking, etc). So the venue wants to diffuse that load on the gates by opening early... and parks like MK open up main street before opening so the crowd control and security issues at the front of the park are reduced. Now.. the gate has more time to process that pent up demand of a crowd before opening.

If you can't grasp this.. then please just drop it. Because everyone else understands and I can't explain it any more crudely.

disneygeek90

I have a question about when they make the switch to FP+. I am arriving Mid Feb and my FP+ window starts this Thursday. Do theu announce the switchover 60 days in advance? So if FP is not available Thursday, can I assume it will still be BP?
Of course you can look, but I don't see them opening up FP for the foreseeable future. Even Smugglers Run isn't using FP and it's been open since August, and obviously not attracting the same attention.

I have a feeling they may go the Harry Potter route and I wouldn't be surprised if it's literal years before FP opens to ROTR.

ToTBellHop

Of course you can look, but I don't see them opening up FP for the foreseeable future. Even Smugglers Run isn't using FP and it's been open since August, and obviously not attracting the same attention.

I have a feeling they may go the Harry Potter route and I wouldn't be surprised if it's literal years before FP opens to ROTR.
Yes. I could see MMRR go on FP first (but not at open) to relieve SDD strain and move the other rides to Tier 2. Once SWGE is on FP, it would be nice to see the tiers removed...

PolynesianPrincess

I've been reading this thread and taking notes (yes actual notes!) about each day and what time people are arriving and what BG they get. Early mornings don't bother us. We rocked the 6am EEMH in September at DHS and they were FANTASTIC! Totally worth the early wakeup! Don't think I have ever ridden ToT or RNRC more in a trip than we did utilizing those EEMH! So for a 7am opening we're going to aim to be there for 5am. We're at AOA but the Skyliner won't be running early enough so we're debating the bus vs Uber...

Those who have taken Uber... what time have you been dropped off and where do they drop you off? Just wanna make sure we won't get stuck waiting to get in the parking lot!! thanks yall for posting all this! It's really been helpful!! :)

disneygeek90

I've been reading this thread and taking notes (yes actual notes!) about each day and what time people are arriving and what BG they get. Early mornings don't bother us. We rocked the 6am EEMH in September at DHS and they were FANTASTIC! Totally worth the early wakeup! Don't think I have ever ridden ToT or RNRC more in a trip than we did utilizing those EEMH! So for a 7am opening we're going to aim to be there for 5am. We're at AOA but the Skyliner won't be running early enough so we're debating the bus vs Uber...

Those who have taken Uber... what time have you been dropped off and where do they drop you off? Just wanna make sure we won't get stuck waiting to get in the parking lot!! thanks yall for posting all this! It's really been helpful!! :)
The drop off for uber is steps from security. If you get there at 5 you won't have any issues with the parking lot/dropoff being open.

PolynesianPrincess

Ditto on the EEMH! My wife hates mornings but the early wake up was so worth it. Rode everything we wanted multiple times then back to the hotel to nap.

As for transportation... hopefully Disney begins to publish and stick to run times. When we were at Pop Dec 1 - 7 the bus times for Dec 5-7 were not updated to reflect the early HS open times (which, of course, were not announced). And, the skyliner seemed to be running on its normal schedule. So, good to have another plan (we had our car).

Yeah, let everyone else wait in long lines during the day while I take a nap! lol

We won't have our car but we definitely would be ready to Uber if needed! I wish the Skyliner ran earlier. We chose AOA partly because of the Skyliner so we're bummed it doesn't run early enough for us to get to DHS by 5am

flynnibus

Premium Member

With SWGE being complete now... I bet the push from the resorts to have FP+ access is huge. It is interesting to note SR doesn't have it yet... but I'm sure the push to enable their FP+ pitch will eventually win out. If reliability of the attraction continues to improve.. I still wager they do it before Spring Break.

Parker in NYC

With SWGE being complete now... I bet the push from the resorts to have FP+ access is huge. It is interesting to note SR doesn't have it yet... but I'm sure the push to enable their FP+ pitch will eventually win out. If reliability of the attraction continues to improve.. I still wager they do it before Spring Break.

You're far more of an optimist than me. I don't see FP+ kicking in for a lot longer than that.

disneygeek90

I sure hope not. The last thing ROTR would need is a longer standby. Have they started work on the in queue bathrooms yet? It took FoP 2.5 years for theirs.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom