News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

matt9112

3jpywk.jpg

2 fast 2 furious!

ImperfectPixie

If waking up at 4am to ride the ride is a plus than sure. The greatest ride is worthless to those who cant ride it? I have never poo pooed on that ride itself but the poor and short sighted implementation managment has choosen. To be fair the ride will be a success it already is i amcnot judging the ride. I am judging the ludacris system they resort to vs simply calling it soft openings? I don't see how anyone can disagree. Its literally just a perception revision. FOP with all of its issues never had something like this. I rode FOP during previews and than waited 4 hours when it broke down but so didn't anyone else that wanted to sit in line. This is FP on steroids. Reward the few in the know and screw the rest, after all there not disney fan enough if there not waking up at 4am they dont REALLY want it. Hell they dont deaerve to ride this ride.
ludicrous-ludacris.jpg

bubbles1812

If waking up at 4am to ride the ride is a plus than sure. The greatest ride is worthless to those who cant ride it? I have never poo pooed on that ride itself but the poor and short sighted implementation managment has choosen. To be fair the ride will be a success it already is i amcnot judging the ride. I am judging the ludacris system they resort to vs simply calling it soft openings? I don't see how anyone can disagree. Its literally just a perception revision. FOP with all of its issues never had something like this. I rode FOP during previews and than waited 4 hours when it broke down but so didn't anyone else that wanted to sit in line. This is FP on steroids. Reward the few in the know and screw the rest, after all there not disney fan enough if there not waking up at 4am they dont REALLY want it. Hell they dont deaerve to ride this ride.
So how would you solve the problem? No matter what, people were going to line up early for this ride. This is a fact. People still get to AK an hour before opening to get on FOP. All the Disney parks tend to open a little before their scheduled opening - I rope dropped a park every day last week and there wasn’t a park that didn’t open a bit early.

DHS is now opening about a half hour before the listed opening time... this is well within its established pattern. You could have maybe argued the soft opening with the 8 am scheduled and 630 opening times earlier last week but now they’ve adjusted accordingly with a listed open at 7 and an actual open at 630ish. Pretty normal for DHS. More people are just getting there early than average.

This is Disney. You want to ride the rides without a wait, you get up early. It’s been that way for many years. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The BG process is so much safer than the sprint to get into the standard line and then the potential hours long wait. I loved it and that 4 am wake up was worth it.

You just sound butthurt that you have to get up early to ride it.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

Well, while the ride was fantastic, experiencing the waiting process first hand did not change my mind on it. I was tired and somewhat delusional from lack of sleep, not ideal for my first ride on Rise.

The only reason we had to get up ridiculously early is because Disney allowed this to snowball earlier and earlier by allowing people to arrive early rather than nipping it in the bud and saying "nope, parking lot opens an hour before park open, no exceptions." Yes, there would still a huge crowd, yes the passes would still be gone quickly, but they would trickle into the park rather than build up and you wouldn't have to needlessly stand there for over two hours just to get an early boarding pass.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
Constant BG calling all day so far. On pace to be the best day. Multiple good days have been snagged by downtime between about 12:30 and 2 pm and/or between 3 pm and 5 pm. The real tell will be if today can avoid one (or both) of those usual downtimes.

bubbles1812

Well, while the ride was fantastic, experiencing the waiting process first hand did not change my mind on it. I was tired and somewhat delusional from lack of sleep, not ideal for my first ride on Rise.

The only reason we had to get up ridiculously early is because Disney allowed this to snowball earlier and earlier by allowing people to arrive early rather than nipping it in the bud and saying "nope, parking lot opens an hour before park open, no exceptions." Yes, there would still a huge crowd, yes the passes would still be gone quickly, but they would trickle into the park rather than build up and you wouldn't have to needlessly stand there for over two hours just to get an early boarding pass.
Really not sure how that would stop the walking crowds. All it would mean is a line somewhere else on property, likely with less security around, and probably in a more dangerous place.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member

Well, like with FoP, you can wait before the park opens, or you can wait after the park opens.

Either way, you're gonna wait. Getting there early determines how long you're gonna wait.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yes, there would still a huge crowd, yes the passes would still be gone quickly, but they would trickle into the park rather than build up and you wouldn't have to needlessly stand there for over two hours just to get an early boarding pass.

Instead you'd have 2+ hrs worth of people all trying to show up at once... snarling traffic... backing up transportation... chaos as people all slam the security or gates at once.. and huge backups. And no one getting in any wuicker or more efficiently. You simply have alot more people trying to do the same thing at the same time... in the same space.

Verse... people arriving over a period of time... getting organized into growing lines that are established.. people being ready and queued for when gates open, etc.

Opening later does not change how many people are willing to be there early! It simply compresses all that demand into a tighter time window. Which means more chaos.

Sure you might manage to improve your last minute arrival spot because of the chaos versed organized queues... but that doesnt make it better for ops, safety, or the average person.

You keep beating this drum without a clue of the outcomes you wish for.

bubbles1812

Instead you'd have 2+ hrs worth of people all trying to show up at once... snarling traffic... backing up transportation... chaos as people all slam the security or gates at once.. and huge backups. And no one getting in any wuicker or more efficiently. You simply have alot more people trying to do the same thing at the same time... in the same space.

Verse... people arriving over a period of time... getting organized into growing lines that are established.. people being ready and queued for when gates open, etc.

Opening later does not change how many people are willing to be there early! It simply compresses all that demand into a tighter time window. Which means more chaos.

Sure you might manage to improve your last minute arrival spot because of the chaos versed organized queues... but that doesnt make it better for ops, safety, or the average person.

You keep beating this drum without a clue of the outcomes you wish for.

Very much agree here. And the evidence is in what I experienced last week with an 8 am opening vs a 7 am opening.

There were just more people there in a compressed time period. It only meant the people that might have gotten up to be there at 730 got there at 630. The same group of people that was willing to make the early am trek just did so at a faster accumulating pace.

It’s not a perfect process but I think it’s about as good as Disney could hope for. I’m not seeing what other options are out there that could have given everyone a fair shake. A lottery would deeply upset people. Starting fast pass right away would have upset people.

At least with this, if you are willing to pay the price of an early morning, you will likely get to go on it. Pretty fair in my eyes as that’s the way it works for all the popular rides.

Last edited:

disneygeek90

I got there at 6am on Sunday, 12/7 for a posted 9am opening.

Then when they moved the open time to 7, my arrival time turned into 5am.

Either way, people will arrive early if they want a low group number. The earlier people show up, the more staggered the arrivals of everyone actually are.

Kevin_W

6 am open then rides may start at 5:25 am.

if you are getting there at 6:30 am that’s the equivalent of getting there at 7:30 for a 7 am open. I think you should be alright getting a 80-100 boarding group but honestly it’s better to be early because then you have walk ons to slinky and toy story mania and you could even do those two and go to AK and rope drop Pandora if you set yourself a later Boarding group.

Thanks, Pooh. Posted opening is 7AM next Monday. So I was thinking leaving out hotel at 6AM would put us at the turnstiles by 6:30 at the latest. But it sounds like the park might be open even earlier than that, so we should probably aim for 5:15-5:30 to leave the hotel.

Our flight doesn't even land until 10:30ish the night before, so a midday nap might be in order! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom