News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I don't remember how glitchy Smuggler's Run was in August, but if they were both opened at the same time and both experiencing problems...I think public perception would have been disastrous. At least in the current situation, people are thinking more about how amazing RotR is than it's problems.
Smugglers Run opened very much ready and had very little downtime. It was ready for prime time.

ToTBellHop

I can see that, but sounds like Disney realized RotR wouldn't be truly ready until 2020... and they did say 2019 would be the opening... hard to decide what to do in that case.
Opening SWGE after the final Star Wars Episode would’ve been as stupid as opening a Kim Possible World Showcase Adventure as Kim Possible was finishing up and then switching it to Agent P as Phineas and Ferb was finishing up and then switching it to Ducktales as Ducktales was undoubtedly finishing up.

This company is always in tune with pop culture as Bob Iger mentioned repeatedly while celebrating himself on The Imagineering Story. He’d never miss the train on a relevant IP.

disneygeek90

Can anyone with a tech savvy background help me figure out the process for the boarding groups? Are there restrictions requiring your ticket to have scanned in at the front gate or is this purely a GPS based restriction? Is there also a time restriction? Knowing Disney's IT I'm trying to think of a way one would be able to bypass some of the problems here. If it's GPS based there's the obvious spoofing location to within the park. Wondering what type of checks are done on a user before they are added to a boarding group... does the server check if you actually are in the park or can you just pass some values saying you're in without actually being there.
Spoofing isn't possible. I think when people are saying "you have to be in the park" others are somehow confusing that with MDE tracking your phone's GPS location. Your ticket has to be scanned, and at that point the MDE app will recognize that you've crossed into the gates with your ticket and your boarding group unlocks.

Rich Brownn

With all the talk of MDE glitches and such this morning... are there any accommodations for guests that may not be technically savvy or even have a phone that can support MDE? Can you in theory use one of the in park kiosks to attain a BG? Are guest relations CM’s available at the gate area to ‘iPad assist’ with getting a BG?

I mean, even aside from making sure it’s installed, signed in and ready to go, I know several people that would just flat out not be able to do this without assistance, either because of the learning curve or because they still are carrying obsolete phone hardware.
They have guest services with iPads everywhere at the entrance, which was fortunate today!

NoFunInBand

Sorry, another general question. Is having to check bags through the security gate no big deal time-and-boarding-group-wise or do I have to convince the ladies in my group to not bring their bags?

Monorail_Orange

Don’t you think they’d have learnt by now?

At least Anaheim gets more T&A.
@trainplane3 Martin just spilled the beans on why they get better bridge erections!
fozzie.gif

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Sorry, another general question. Is having to check bags through the security gate no big deal time-and-boarding-group-wise or do I have to convince the ladies in my group to not bring their bags?
Ideally no bags if you can manage it. But realistically, you are probably only talking about saving a couple of minutes. Most importing thing is to just make sure you are there early enough.

bubbles1812

Yes and no. You will go through security way before you go through the turnstiles. For example, we went through security at 520 am and then through the turnstiles when they opened the park at 640 am.

I went through a bag line without a bag. It was a deliberate choice not to carry the bag as this allowed me to book it up to the turnstiles. My mom followed me 2-3 minutes later as she was the designated bag carrier. 3 minutes meant 100-200 people (or more) had reached the turnstiles by that time before her.

Obviously you don’t want to be an and bring up 10 people to you but if you have a small group, it might benefit to have at least one person without a bag go through while the rest follow.

We got group 6, so it worked out well. I will agree with @wdwmagic that the most important thing is the early arrival. Never thought I’d see Florida at 4 am so much...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom