News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

flynnibus

Premium Member
Buying a ticket and then listening to Disney’s official communications simply isn’t good enough.

Yeah...visiting the most anticipated, the most expensive attraction, in the most expensive land the company has ever built... on opening day... people totally should just expect to be able to be the “average” and succeed.

:rolleyes:

Why didnt anyone tell them that they had to not be average?

flynnibus

Premium Member
Just like Pooh has been told multiple times, there's literally no one who was expecting that. Where does that keep coming from?

Pay attention - i didnt say anything about anytime , etc. i was specifically referring to people that would plan to be at the park for opening. The passes were still available for someone that planned to be at the park an hour before the posted opening time. Which is what anyone with any disney experience would do if you knew you wanted to do what it takes to be there for opening. Its what people did forever with FOP and for any special event.

So if you had any self awareness of what you were rolling into.. you were not excluded... even without knowing about the unexpected opening. Instead you’ve been pleading for an audience that wanted to only be average at best, without the necessary disney park experience to manage big events, because they blindly followed the disney info. You cant be just part of the average mob and expect to succeed in special events like this.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If there were turnstiles where Disney regularly controlled access to the viewing locations at published times or if little Suzzie's family paid for a dessert party/better viewing location, then yes, I'd be empathetic if someone else created a crowd control problem that prevented Suzzie's enjoyment of the fireworks.
Does it matter? They missed out because they followed disney’s guide.

We all know that its not sufficient when something is in high demand at disney parks. And you wouldnt shed a tear... youd tell them they need to plan to be there before the advertised time for the popular shows. Because thats what you experienced and research has taught you.

EdnaMode

Does it matter? They missed out because they followed disney’s guide.

We all know that its not sufficient when something is in high demand at disney parks.

We might know that, we certainly do now*...but the resorts are filled with guests who don't, and who expect (and rightfully so) that Disney will respect their own posted information. They certainly expect guests to respect their posted information -- and they have to create a workaround when guests don't. (An example of a workaround would be letting in a crowd at the front gates early to relieve a crowding problem without creating a riot by turning them around.)

*Until the next incarnation of crowd management at the front gates.

TrojanUSC

The complaint isnt about the time... it was the fact they missed out because they took disney’s time as a literal. Thats why the analogy works.

We all know you cant show up at showtime and get the advertised experience.... just like we all know you dont show up at 8am for an 8am park opening if you want to actually get in at opening

It's the perception of a fair experience. It's one thing to arrive at the Magic Kingdom at 9:59 and expect a good view of a 10pm HEA showing, but quite another if you arrived at 9:25, 35 minutes early which is a fair amount of time for most people, to find out they launched the show at 8:25 for no other reason than the park seemed busy enough.

massiv

Funny... everyday disney publishes a showtime for things like fireworks, parades, etc. how many of you would empathize with someone who came to you upset that little suzzie couldnt get a good view of the fireworks because their plans were to just get there by the published showtime?
I think that people would be pretty upset if they arrived 30 minutes before the published time and found out that the parade had already happened.

Rich Brownn

There you go again.

All you care about is yourself.

AP holders are the #1 guest Disney should be trying to please. Yet you don't care about them at all so it seems disingenuous when you complain about unfairness.
AP's are only important if the tourist volume is low. In terms of $$$ for Disney, on-site guests rank first, day guests second, and AP at the bottom (AP's spend the least amount in all-important food, beverage and merchandise). Heck, Disney doesn't even give AP discounts in about 60% of their restaurants.

Anybody know if you have to have a very recent version of the app for boarding pass to work? I turned off auto updates for the WDW app to avoid any impact to checking for FP's so it's probably been about 6 months since it's been updated.

joup7

I don’t think anybody has posted this theory yet. If so, I apologize. There is an obvious reason as to why there are fewer boarding groups since opening day. All accounts say that if the ride is evacuated you get a digital FP for the next day.

Let’s say hypothetically that 20 boarding groups worth of people were evacuated and got bonus FP for the next day as a result on day 1. You would naturally assign 20 less boarding groups on day 2 because you know you already have 20 boarding groups worth of people who will show up randomly throughout the day.

The only thing we can hope for really in all of this is that Disney execs are learning from this experience what should be done in the future for major ride openings. Some things are good, some bad, some need tweaking. You can’t really learn how to do something correct until you do something wrong.

And the takeaway advice for anybody attempting to ride RotR we can all see from here: whatever Disney says, be prepared for the timeline to start anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours sooner than announced.

djkidkaz

Wondering how much downtime the attraction has had yesterday and today? I haven’t heard of it being down much.

also, how many boarding groups are they averaging per day?

rowrbazzle

Anybody know if you have to have a very recent version of the app for boarding pass to work? I turned off auto updates for the WDW app to avoid any impact to checking for FP's so it's probably been about 6 months since it's been updated.

I have an older version for the same reason and cannot see the boarding pass info. I plan to update shortly before my trip. I'm thankful that I know about this now and wasn't at the park a couple days ago.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's the perception of a fair experience. It's one thing to arrive at the Magic Kingdom at 9:59 and expect a good view of a 10pm HEA showing, but quite another if you arrived at 9:25, 35 minutes early which is a fair amount of time for most people, to find out they launched the show at 8:25 for no other reason than the park seemed busy enough.

But thats just it... by acknowledging you need to apply the knowledge you should show up early... you acknowledge that using the posted time alone is inadequate.

The changing of time or not is irrelevant to that because its not necessary for the person to fail for simply following the time.

People who followed reasonable disney experience with special events and park opening were just fine on opening day.

Simply put... we know visiting disney comes with its own set of expectations. Anyone who doesnt think so, let me know where you are eating 180 days from now.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think that people would be pretty upset if they arrived 30 minutes before the published time and found out that the parade had already happened.

That is a second scenario... that is not necessary for my point to be proven. The person who shows up at the published time is screwed in both cases.

Rob562

Our tablemates at Biergarten this evening were at Studios for EMH this morning. They weren't entirely newbies, but they were taking Disney at their word about the announced time that the VQ would open. They said they just happened to check the app at 730 and saw it was open. At that point they got a relatively high number (I don't recall the number).

They still hadn't been called yet when we were eating dinner at 7:30pm. At about 7:50 the app notified them their number was up. Luckily they were just eating dessert. While they were waiting for the check from the server, we discussed their options for fastest way over to the Studios. (They had used the Skyliner to hop to Epcot, but were leaning toward walking back). I hope they made it ok. They were from Seattle, visiting Disney for the second time.

-Rob

flynnibus

Premium Member
Ok but what if you show up 40 minutes before the published time?

Your changing variables that are meaningless to prove the point. You can debate some other situation... doesnt change what i brought up.

The point of analogy is that they are parallels... not that they are the same.

TrojanUSC

But thats just it... by acknowledging you need to apply the knowledge you should show up early... you acknowledge that using the posted time alone is inadequate.

The changing of time or not is irrelevant to that because its not necessary for the person to fail for simply following the time.

People who followed reasonable disney experience with special events and park opening were just fine on opening day.

Simply put... we know visiting disney comes with its own set of expectations. Anyone who doesnt think so, let me know where you are eating 180 days from now.

Again, no. Your example would be valid if you, for example, left your hotel room at the Polynesian and 8:30 for a 9pm show, but didn't factor in the monorail being a disaster and lines at the turnstiles. However, Disney was explicitly telling guests that you want a chance at a boarding pass just be in the park by the posted park opening time. They explicitly stated no boarding passes would be available until 8am. That's it. That's the deal. Plan your morning how you want, just be past the tapstiles by 8am. Whether that means arriving at 4am or 730, just be in the park.

What sucks is that people are doing everything Disney has asked, and more, by arriving early. They're in the park, excited they made it. Alas, they found out that despite Disney telling them explicitly that no boarding passes would be given out prior to 8am, they were all given out by 7:20am. That is deceitful, at best. At worst it's an outright lie.

It's like saying 4 front row tickets to Hamilton will be given out at 5pm and you must be present for your name to be called. So you trek all the way to Times Square, grab a coffee and make it to the theater by 4:30 to snag a good spot, only to find out that they did the raffle an hour ago and you lost by default for literally no reason. "Why'd they do it early?," you ask an usher. "No reason really, just looked like a lot of people had gathered."

Last edited:

BoarderPhreak

I have an older version for the same reason and cannot see the boarding pass info. I plan to update shortly before my trip. I'm thankful that I know about this now and wasn't at the park a couple days ago.
You need a recent version; v5.6 IIRC. Also, if your boarding group option doesn't show up, relaunch the app before or shortly after entering the park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom