News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

It did not operate today at all.
1621569411144.png

TikibirdLand

It did not operate today at all.
They REALLY need to get some of the old-timers like Bob Gurr in there to help with reliability issues. I realize this is a really complicated system. But, there's a lot of stuff that's not necessary to the story telling that could be simplified. For example, the aforementioned cannon movement could simply be on a hydraulic rail. I'm sure there are other items that would be ripe for a re-thinking. Not EVERYTHING has to be late-breaking tech.

ppete1975

They REALLY need to get some of the old-timers like Bob Gurr in there to help with reliability issues. I realize this is a really complicated system. But, there's a lot of stuff that's not necessary to the story telling that could be simplified. For example, the aforementioned cannon movement could simply be on a hydraulic rail. I'm sure there are other items that would be ripe for a re-thinking. Not EVERYTHING has to be late-breaking tech.
Sometimes you can over complicate things.
Bob Gurr said it himself that disney over complicates stuff now. Most of the stuff he built/builds is super simple depending more on simple physics than tons of electronics hydrolics and computers. Theres an article out there talking about disney down time, and how simple he built the original Kong and showing the differences.

ppete1975

I cant find gurrs original statements.. pretty sure it was an episode of mousestalgia.. but i listen and read to alot of disney history.
Btw he passed on jaws in florida cause he knew it would never be dependable...hmmmmm

here is some recent comments about rise of the resistance though
“It’s really hard to top the previous guy with something that’s even more mind blowing,” Bob Gurr said about the current state of theme parks always trying to one-up each other. “It’s great when it works, but it’s really hard to get complex machinery to behave like it’s supposed to.” Adding to that, he brought up how Disneyland opened four new rides all on the same day in 1959, including the monorail, skyway, Matterhorn Bobsleds, and redesigned Submarine Voyage. Each ride system was different and complicated in its own way, creating some maintenance challenges that first year. “I kind of feel sorry for the guys that go so far out without the old guy wisdom.”

flynnibus

Premium Member

The difference is usually about the safety controls now - not just mechanical complexity. Today ride controllers have massive logic monitoring many different inputs and if anything deviates, they must goto a fail-safe state. These parameters, accounting for all the variations, and then adding in variance... is where so much complexity comes from that never existed when Bob Gurr could just build something, and keep trying again until it actually stopped breaking.

ppete1975

The difference is usually about the safety controls now - not just mechanical complexity. Today ride controllers have massive logic monitoring many different inputs and if anything deviates, they must goto a fail-safe state. These parameters, accounting for all the variations, and then adding in variance... is where so much complexity comes from that never existed when Bob Gurr could just build something, and keep trying again until it actually stopped breaking.
pretty sure some of his later non disney stuff incorporated alot of that. Lets take the yeti though. (which is what i think started his rant), why doesnt it work.... its because they made it too complex for what it needed to be. IT could have been much simpler, lighter and still be working.
by the way bob is currently redesigning the theme park scooter (although the thing looks huge to me)
https://allears.net/2020/12/07/disn...b-gurr-calls-himself-a-failure-at-retirement/

flynnibus

Premium Member
pretty sure some of his later non disney stuff incorporated alot of that.
Yes, but in the context of the comment made, you can't compare simple a mechanical system in isolation to a full blown integrated ride system that btw is also dealing with free movement, etc.

Lets take the yeti though.

Let's not.. because it's really apples and oranges here. Yes the Yeti is over-engineered... but that doesn't mean RoTR is by extension because a ride effect has been down

ppete1975

Yes, but in the context of the comment made, you can't compare simple a mechanical system in isolation to a full blown integrated ride system that btw is also dealing with free movement, etc.

Let's not.. because it's really apples and oranges here. Yes the Yeti is over-engineered... but that doesn't mean RoTR is by extension because a ride effect has been down
i really dont want to hijack the thread... but its not apples to oranges...kong relates to EE and yeti... kong was simple and effective yeti wasnt.. but yeti didnt have to be complex.. thats the point. Disney is known to make things more complex than they need to be.. yes there are ground breaking effects yes there is amazing technology.. but could it have been done to be more reliable. As amazing as the ride is, its not reliable, currently has low capacity and the boarding groups is a joke. No ride should have passes that you have to be on your phone in a 6 second window or you cant ride it. And even if you get a boarding pass you might not ride it. All im saying is did Disney over complicate some aspects that is causing some of this, because historically they do.

flynnibus

Premium Member
As amazing as the ride is, its not reliable, currently has low capacity and the boarding groups is a joke.
Wasn't this the first extended downtime since re-opening, and for how many months before that?

Ultimately any design will have to trade intimacy for scale. You simply can't put 30 people into the same space and maintain the same personal experience. You'd never get the same RoTR experience if it were built to be a 2500pph attraction. So sometimes you make those compromises.

Hating on boarding groups? Kick the people around you and hope they all leave...

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
They should use AI that can determine if a variation is worthy of a full-stop.

The AI could be trained with the parameter that guest dismemberment or death is a rather low ranking outcome.

TikibirdLand

Wasn't this the first extended downtime since re-opening, and for how many months before that?

Ultimately any design will have to trade intimacy for scale. You simply can't put 30 people into the same space and maintain the same personal experience. You'd never get the same RoTR experience if it were built to be a 2500pph attraction. So sometimes you make those compromises.

Hating on boarding groups? Kick the people around you and hope they all leave...
Not the first time this attraction has been down for a full day. I'm sure we can search through the thread and find the others. More frequently, it's been certain sections that aren't working and other sections completely bypassed without any notice. And, don't get me started the the number of "B" modes implemented. The ride is too complex in too many areas that don't need to be. I'm not privy to every part of this ride to be able to discuss which ones. But, if your trackless vehicle has problems where it shuts down like this, maybe there's other technology available to accomplish what your doing (i.e wire guided vehicles). Get some of the grizzled old-timers in there. I KNOW they can spot them in less than a week and provide a punchlist.

mergatroid

Not the first time this attraction has been down for a full day. I'm sure we can search through the thread and find the others. More frequently, it's been certain sections that aren't working and other sections completely bypassed without any notice. And, don't get me started the the number of "B" modes implemented. The ride is too complex in too many areas that don't need to be. I'm not privy to every part of this ride to be able to discuss which ones. But, if your trackless vehicle has problems where it shuts down like this, maybe there's other technology available to accomplish what your doing (i.e wire guided vehicles). Get some of the grizzled old-timers in there. I KNOW they can spot them in less than a week and provide a punchlist.
The problem is what you're suggesting would require a complete shutdown of the attraction to rip up the floor and put wires in and reprogram the ride system. It would not only cost a lot but also have the ride down for an extended period.

Hindsight is a great thing and you're probably correct that using a simpler system may have worked better in some areas. However I can also see how trying new technologies has helped the evolution of park attractions. People love Hagrids but it had tons of issues after it opened mainly because it dared to be different, similar to Test Track. The Tower of Terror used technology not seen before in theme park attractions and is still rated as a brilliant attraction because rather than say "No that's too hard" they persevered and decided to try and do it. Rise has suffered for trying to be fantastic and has had problems that still exist because of this. We hear people complain that things aren't good enough at Disney on here so surely we should want them to try to be the best they can be. Sometimes this means there's problems in the early stages but if those can be ironed out then in my opinion it's worth trying.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom