News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

BlackCauldron

So basically you just got to do a very long preshow, right? Blah.

I wonder if the whole interrogation room thing was a good idea--it seems like a lot of people are getting booted out at that point, so your last memory of the ride is being stuck in "enemy territory," so to speak. How do they break character to get you out?

They become polite cast members, open the side door and then scan your band so you can come back. The problem is, when you go back you have to do the whole thing all over again. I’d prefer just picking up where I left off and not having to trek the line again.

HauntedPirate

Sheltered-at-home Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Advertisement
So how long do you think it to get ROTR back on track so to speak. How do you fix an attraction like this?

Having a few months of the ride being totally off-line would give them lots of time to fix things... oh wait... :cautious:

I understand that Disney went very conservative on their shutdown approach and the reasons they did things that way. But they also shot themselves in the foot by doing so, because if they had allowed even small crews to work on things, they could have potentially gotten some of these headache-inducing problems fixed while the parks were closed.

brettf22

Premium Member
"Once it came time to load into the vehicle, there was only one escape vehicle. The reason for only one car operation today at Rise of the Resistance is because one of the two elevators in the AT-AT room is not being utilized. We understand that the issue isn’t with the elevator itself, but with the vehicle positioning system.

Essentially, the positioning system is having difficulties transmitting data to confirm vehicle positioning. So while the operation of the elevator would be completely safe, the failsafe kicked in and essentially one “pathway” out of the two pathways used by the ride vehicles is not in use.

This issue started on Saturday. When I was finally able to ride (after two attempts and three hours in line), I was put in an interrogation room by myself, then all the ride vehicles around me were empty.

GimpYancIent

This issue started on Saturday. When I was finally able to ride (after two attempts and three hours in line), I was put in an interrogation room by myself, then all the ride vehicles around me were empty.
I say these are the after effects from a bolt from the sky. A higher authority may be sending a message. To appease it more evening park hours should be added as well as enhanced visual effects through out the land. Sounds good to me.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

Given the state of the BG frenzy, I think a few things need to change. First, it shouldn't be fastest fingers/connections gets the BG. It should be a random lottery. Second, I think they need to pre-assign the lottery process so you know before showing up at DHS whether you will get a ride. Perhaps by say 5PM the day before, you have to enter your party in the lottery and you'll be notified if you receive a BG and what BG you received by say 6PM the day before. Third, for those staying onsite, perhaps with at least an 3-4 night stay, you are should be guaranteed a BG and you can sorta list your days of preference in advance and Disney will assign one to you. This way, you know when you go to DHS, that you will get a ride.

Or just scrap the whole concept altogether and go stand-by only and how long you are willing to wait determines who rides. The problem here is how to prevent people from continually showing up earlier and earlier. I will say, though, as someone with young children, I do not favor this alternative, but at least you can't argue with the equity of such a system.
This certainly feels more equitable than the current chaotic system that rewards good cellular connections and park attendees who are "in the know" of how the system works.

We are scheduled to visit over Spring Break and one thing we're very excited to do is ride RotR. Because of the current situation surrounding BG, we have two days scheduled for HS. Two. For a park that we used to be able to do in just over 1/2 a day at a leisurely pace. Just because we need a backup day in case we can't get on the ride the first day. (Granted, it has been a few years since our last visit, but there hasn't been so many new rides/attractions added that we now need two days to see it all.)

Asking ticket holders who already have a park reservation at HS for the following day, to log in and confirm their desire to enter the lottery to win a BG position, then randomly assigning BGs to people from that pool of people the evening before (or even o-dark-thirty the morning of) their scheduled day would be far preferable to what they have now. It would allow patrons who fail win a BG to decide if they are still interested in using their ticket at HS or if they'd rather try to transfer their reservation at another park without having to spend their (rather expensive) ticket somewhere they may end up not even getting a coveted BG (possibly their who reason for visiting HS to start with). I would also suggest that adding a feature that flags a ticket holder as one who has ridden RotR in the last X number of days could be moved a special pool in the lottery, thus providing more opportunity for those who have never experienced the ride a better chance to do so. For instance, maybe 50 spots are set aside daily for those who have ridden the ride in the last two weeks and the rest are open to everyone else. This would give preference to infrequent visitors and those who haven't yet had a chance to ride RotR, but not fully exclude those who have already experienced the ride. Maybe this is completely impossible to put into practice, but what they're working with now seems horribly flawed and often immensely frustrating for everyone involved (park guests and CMs alike).

Could I pay a few hundred bucks for a PH option for my family of five so that we can move on to another park if we fail to win a BG for however many days we decided to "try HS first"? Sure. But it doesn't make financial sense to do so because of one ride and it would only create more stress during our "magical vacation" as we continued to try to score a spot on the coveted ride.

gerarar

Im at CBR now, tomorrow (9/15/2020), will be my turn to ride RotR. Wish me luck, first to get a BG, then too actually get to ride, after today, we will need it.
It seems like since Saturday they’ve only been running 1 of 2 vehicles per dispatch. And they’re only getting around BG 40 by park close because of that! So hopefully you get something below that, good luck!!

techgeek

Second, I think they need to pre-assign the lottery process so you know before showing up at DHS whether you will get a ride. Perhaps by say 5PM the day before, you have to enter your party in the lottery and you'll be notified if you receive a BG and what BG you received by say 6PM the day before.

It would allow patrons who fail win a BG to decide if they are still interested in using their ticket at HS or if they'd rather try to transfer their reservation at another park without having to spend their (rather expensive) ticket somewhere they may end up not even getting a coveted BG (possibly their who reason for visiting HS to start with).

While this is a great idea, this is exactly why they would never do it. A pretty good group of guests simply wouldn't show up that day if they knew there was no chance to get on Rise. They would try another day if they could, and if they couldn't then it becomes a massive guest satisfaction fail before they even step foot in the park.

I have no idea how you fix it, honestly. Knock out some of the parking lot and build a second building. They've already got the blueprints done up... :rolleyes:

BlackCauldron

LOL! Totally understandable but I'm getting a "Karen" vibe from you.

hardly a Karen. We visit Disney every year for two weeks and I’ve never had the experience I had yesterday. We were also at HS last Thursday and everything was just fine. Yesterday lines were insane all around, and the park did feel very unsafe. There were issues with the 10am boarding groups. Rise was at half capacity and then broke down twice. Railway broke down at least three times, twice with us in line after waiting for 40 minutes each time. It’s a 30-45 min reset for that ride.

SImply put, the park does not have enough rides to manage the capacity it has been dealt. Throw in multiple breakdowns and there’s nowhere for people to really go. Normally I would have just hopped to a different park, but that’s not an option. So you are left to deal with an overly crowded park, broken rides, etc. and just suck it up. For a ticket over $100, that should not be the case.

was very polite at guest services - it’s not their fault - and we were given a FP for Railway. Rise then came back up and we were able to do it with few glitches. last two hours of the day were more enjoyable than the rest.

KevinPage

hardly a Karen. We visit Disney every year for two weeks and I’ve never had the experience I had yesterday. We were also at HS last Thursday and everything was just fine. Yesterday lines were insane all around, and the park did feel very unsafe. There were issues with the 10am boarding groups. Rise was at half capacity and then broke down twice. Railway broke down at least three times, twice with us in line after waiting for 40 minutes each time. It’s a 30-45 min reset for that ride.

SImply put, the park does not have enough rides to manage the capacity it has been dealt. Throw in multiple breakdowns and there’s nowhere for people to really go. Normally I would have just hopped to a different park, but that’s not an option. So you are left to deal with an overly crowded park, broken rides, etc. and just suck it up. For a ticket over $100, that should not be the case.

was very polite at guest services - it’s not their fault - and we were given a FP for Railway. Rise then came back up and we were able to do it with few glitches. last two hours of the day were more enjoyable than the rest.

Their 3 big shows all being closed leave a lot of people outside walking around and on other rides. So once any of those go down, it’s the perfect cluster of a bad day, no doubt.

rowrbazzle

Their 3 big shows all being closed leave a lot of people outside walking around and on other rides. So once any of those go down, it’s the perfect cluster of a bad day, no doubt.
Not to mention shorter hours. Waits appear to be up across the parks despite no reported increase in the caps.

Jimdalva

TRIP REPORT : I have good news and bad news. --- We are staying at CBR, we were at the Skyliner at 8:10, it was running empty, then at 9:05 announcement came 'The Skyliner is delayed'. But at 9;10 they started loading. Arrived at Studios, quick temp check, security and entrance very quick. We rode MMRR and RRC, then sat down and waited for 10 O clock. The good news, BAM, fast fingers and we got BG 4. (all the practice paid off, thanks to all here) We then rode ToT, then off to RotR. The Bad news, it was DOWN. Went to S Run and it was down. An hour later RotR was up , got in line, right up to the door and Down again, waited a full hour. Then we rode. Great ride. Back to SR but still down. Such is Life!

gerarar

TRIP REPORT : I have good news and bad news. --- We are staying at CBR, we were at the Skyliner at 8:10, it was running empty, then at 9:05 announcement came 'The Skyliner is delayed'. But at 9;10 they started loading. Arrived at Studios, quick temp check, security and entrance very quick. We rode MMRR and RRC, then sat down and waited for 10 O clock. The good news, BAM, fast fingers and we got BG 4. (all the practice paid off, thanks to all here) We then rode ToT, then off to RotR. The Bad news, it was DOWN. Went to S Run and it was down. An hour later RotR was up , got in line, right up to the door and Down again, waited a full hour. Then we rode. Great ride. Back to SR but still down. Such is Life!
Can you comment if they were running 2 or 1 transports at dispatch?

KevinPage

You got on 2 rides before 10am (including MMRR) and Rise in the same day. I’d chalk that up as a victory (at this point) in my book 🤩🤩🤩

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom