News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Marc Davis Fan

The belief seems to be more, not fewer, boarding groups upon return. Disney unintentionally gave themselves a gift with VQ tech.
Let's hope this isn't permanent. It can really mess up one's day, and it really unfair for regular guests who don't understand that they have to arrive at the park first-thing in the morning with their apps open.

It feels sort-of ironic that, on the one hand Disney wants us to schedule the time we will ride some attractions 60+ days in advance, and on the other hand Disney wants us to not know when we will ride other attractions until moments beforehand.

Demarke

Premium Member
Let's hope this isn't permanent. It can really mess up one's day, and it really unfair for regular guests who don't understand that they have to arrive at the park first-thing in the morning with their apps open.

It feels sort-of ironic that, on the one hand Disney wants us to schedule the time we will ride some attractions 60+ days in advance, and on the other hand Disney wants us to not know when we will ride other attractions until moments beforehand.
I still think people are reading too much into the virtual queue management page that appeared in the mix. I think that’s less about Disney planning to unroll it all over all the park’s favorite rides and more about getting ready for the early days of Guardians of the Galaxy and Tron and the assumption that the need for VQ would overlap between those and when it’s no longer needed for RotR.

It’s not impossible they would use it all over due to COVID, but that largely means people would just be congregating somewhere else in the park.

ok529

According to my original plan tomorrow morning I would have been stressing about my boarding group, of course that was before the pandemic. I will miss that trip and miss checking this forum everyday from a thousand miles way to see what boarding group you got and the system used. Hope everyone is safe and soon we will be returning to at least a B mode of operation!

larryz

Gold Star Duck
Premium Member
According to my original plan tomorrow morning I would have been stressing about my boarding group, of course that was before the pandemic. I will miss that trip and miss checking this forum everyday from a thousand miles way to see what boarding group you got and the system used. Hope everyone is safe and soon we will be returning to at least a B mode of operation!
"B" me up, Bobby!

RSoxNo1

The belief seems to be more, not fewer, boarding groups upon return. Disney unintentionally gave themselves a gift with VQ tech.
As one in each park I assume?
MK: 7D or Space?
EP: Rat?
HS: RotR
AK: FOP
I think they also need to look logistically at where they have space for queues. Space Mountain has more room than Slinky Dog for example.

I could see this being rolled out across 5+ attractions per park for that reason or truly devoting 100% of capacity to the Fastpass system. My longtime preferred approach to Fastpass+ was same day reservations only (next available) where all guests can hold two at a time. Now is as good a time as any to try that.

Last edited:

gerarar

We now (sorta) have an official POV from Disney Parks for ROTR! It includes many of the SFX heard within the ride-portion of the experience.
It also includes many facts about the ride including the VFX house who had a hand in developing many of the sequences/outdoor footage in the cannon room and last Kylo-encounter scene.

On another note. it’s so nice to hear Lieutenant Bek’s voice so crisp and clear!!

Giss Neric

One time I got bored and I watched a LOT of POV of this ride. I noticed on multiple videos that during Kylo's lightsaber penetrating the roof, a lot of guests don't even notice it unless someone beside them points it out by hand or verbally. Most of them look left or right or just at R5 panicking. Is it because it's not that noticeable that they should add more effects like sparks like in the advertisement or even make the lightsaber longer when it goes through the roof.

peter11435

One time I got bored and I watched a LOT of POV of this ride. I noticed on multiple videos that during Kylo's lightsaber penetrating the roof, a lot of guests don't even notice it unless someone beside them points it out by hand or verbally. Most of them look left or right or just at R5 panicking. Is it because it's not that noticeable that they should add more effects like sparks like in the advertisement or even make the lightsaber longer when it goes through the roof.
I’ve only been on the ride half a dozen times but I’ve never seen guests not notice the lightsaber. I did ride twice when the effect was not working. Are you sure it was working in the videos where you saw people not notice it?

Magic Feather

I've found it to depend on each batch of guests, but every group I've seen has noticed eventually. Ideally, the thud on ceiling sound or initial piercing sound coming from the ceiling draws people's attention, and I'd say that 9/10 times it does. If not, the usually notice it when the RV lurches away from the saber by backing up as though to try and avoid it.

Last edited:

KevinPage

As a lover of all things licorice and black jelly beans, I bought some Sambuca.

Any good recommendations on cocktails or stuff Disney does with it?

mergatroid

Not my thing and the name of the drink would get censored. But, if you want to practice layering. Grenadine-Sambucca-Baileys
Good job you weren't naming the layered shooter made from one part coffee liqueur like Kahlua, one part cold Midori liqueur and one part Baileys Irish Cream. :rolleyes:

Aries1975

Good job you weren't naming the layered shooter made from one part coffee liqueur like Kahlua, one part cold Midori liqueur and one part Baileys Irish Cream. :rolleyes:
I'm sure it's pretty to look at, but I can't see Coffee and Melon really tasting pleasant together. I guess there is a reason one should "down" a shot fast. 🤢

I would imagine Midori and Blue Curacao make their way into quite a few drinks at Oga's cantina. I'm hoping to keep my August reservation for the cantina 🥂 and score a boarding group.

disneygeek90

Premium Member
Just a few months ago there was a debate weekly (daily?) about how long virtual queue/boarding groups would remain a thing and when standby would be enacted. I thought it was a long shot at best given the rides performance, but all of this now has to make virtual queue even more vital to the attraction. Boarding groups likely here to stay for a long, long while.

Aries1975

Just a few months ago there was a debate weekly (daily?) about how long virtual queue/boarding groups would remain a thing and when standby would be enacted. I thought it was a long shot at best given the rides performance, but all of this now has to make virtual queue even more vital to the attraction. Boarding groups likely here to stay for a long, long while.
In January, 7 month mark, we booked DVC and bought park hoppers. So, we could try every morning for a boarding pass, but still do other stuff - especially if we didn't "win the lottery" on several mornings. Now, I am praying everyone stays healthy, the parks are open, and the state of Florida welcomes people from Jersey.

Giss Neric

I think ROTR will be popular till next year even with Runaway Railway and Ratatouille since it has only been three months since it opened when the parks closed so virtual queue will still be in effect. Maybe we'll see standby/fastpass when Tron and Cosmic Rewinds opens next year.

disneygeek90

Premium Member
I think ROTR will be popular till next year even with Runaway Railway and Ratatouille since it has only been three months since it opened when the parks closed so virtual queue will still be in effect. Maybe we'll see standby/fastpass when Tron and Cosmic Rewinds opens next year.
Due to the current times I think we're now at least a year away from standby. I'll be interested in how they manage opening crowds because looking back at some pictures on my phone... that's not gonna work now.

Top Bottom