News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
How many of you would stand in line at the popcorn cart, and when you get to the front, tell the CM, "I'm just practicing standing in line -- I don't want any popcorn."

There's nothing to prevent you from doing that. Just realize that there may be people in line behind you who are missing out on something because you're taking up space in the line.

But Looky Lou in the left lane doesn't care about anybody behind him, either. He's just GOT to see that wreck over on the other side...

How many of you would stand in line at the popcorn cart, and when you get to the front, tell the CM, "I'm just practicing standing in line -- I don't want any popcorn."

There's nothing to prevent you from doing that. Just realize that there may be people in line behind you who are missing out on something because you're taking up space in the line.

But Looky Lou in the left lane doesn't care about anybody behind him, either. He's just GOT to see that wreck over on the other side...

I'm sure multi-billion-dollar-Disney's network bandwidth is not affected by users that can't even fully complete the requests to join a boarding group. I think you just like making up fantasies in your head to fit your mood for the day. Maybe sit this one out.

MichRX7

Premium Member
Really it is more like you "astrally-projected" your inner self to the front gates of Hollywood Studios, then your (let's just say AP to shorten astrally-projected) AP self jumped into the entrance line in front of a slow actual person who was physically at HS and lumbering up to the front gates. Then in front of them your AP self tried to swipe your AP magicband and your were denied entrance in 4-14 milliseconds and flew off unbeknownst to the slow lumbering person actually physically present. Then the slower physical person lumbered up, swiped their magicband, went into the park and got themselves in line for popcorn, realized they were 3rd in line, cheered a bit for being only the 3rd person in line for popcorn, bought their popcorn and went and sat down to eat it.

disnyfan89

Perhaps a better comparison is how many people go into the app to look at available FP or Dining reservations that they don't plan to use?

Asking if someone practices standing in line for popcorn is a false equivalent because from childhood we are taught how to line up. No one needs to practice standing in a physical line. However, there is plenty of reason to want to familiarize yourself with a new process such as acquiring a BG- especially since there are tons of reports about how quick they run out and one wrong step can cost you the opportunity to secure a BG.

disneygeek90

The person that decided they actually didn't want popcorn would then leave the line. The person behind them, someone who does want popcorn, would be next with the same amount of popcorn available compared to the amount available if that person wasn't in front of them to begin with. The person that changed their mind and left actually didn't have any impact on the positioning of the person behind them.

solidyne

The person that decided they actually didn't want popcorn would then leave the line. The person behind them, someone who does want popcorn, would be next with the same amount of popcorn available compared to the amount available if that person wasn't in front of them to begin with. The person that changed their mind and left actually didn't have any impact on the positioning of the person behind them.
Exactly! And imagine also that the person behind now had to wait three milliseconds instead of one millisecond! Not a big hardship.

By the looks of all these replies I think we have come to a consensus that you were wrong sir. Please apologize to Blake.242.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
By the looks of all these replies I think we have come to a consensus that you were wrong sir. Please apologize to Blake.242.
Apologize for what -- pointing out that interlopers who aren't even near the park might be sucking up bandwidth and slowing down a system response just enough to blow them out of contention for a regular boarding group?

The "consensus" you reference is as valid as the opinions of a bunch of speeders on I-75 who disdain the law-abiding citizens they're stuck behind.

Nope. I contend that's a valid assumption, based on what I know about the situations I've read here in this thread -- including the morning where people outside the park were actually able to secure boarding groups.

Mem11

Hey Blake, if you wanted an apology why not ask, making up a new account for said purpose is just kind of you know..... Creepy. By the way I agree with @larryz and you won't be getting an apology from me either.

disneygeek90

This is a message board where people are disagreeing to the moon and back in one thread and then like that same person’s post in another thread. I personally don’t have a problem with people trying things out but I’m not going to ask someone to apologize that doesn’t agree.

Last edited:

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Apologize for what -- pointing out that interlopers who aren't even near the park might be sucking up bandwidth and slowing down a system response just enough to blow them out of contention for a regular boarding group?

The "consensus" you reference is as valid as the opinions of a bunch of speeders on I-75 who disdain the law-abiding citizens they're stuck behind.

Nope. I contend that's a valid assumption, based on what I know about the situations I've read here in this thread -- including the morning where people outside the park were actually able to secure boarding groups.
I think I understand where you're coming from. I posted about this issue a few pages ago and quickly learned that me being concerned about how people practicing might affect actual park guests, isn't very popular around these parts.

The least of my concerns is whose fault this glitch is/was. What concerns me, is that I wouldn't want to diminish anyone's chances of getting an actual BG in any way, shape or form. Again, we still don't know what exactly happened and that's not the point, at least, it isn't for me.

Wouldn't it be better if people practiced only after all boarding and backup groups are distributed for the day? That way, they can still practice all they want without the risk of affecting actual park-goers. Just a considerate gesture that doesn't take much, imo. :)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
This is a message board where people are disagreeing to the moon and back in one thread and then like that same person’s post in another thread. I personally don’t have a problem with people trying things out but I’m not going to ask someone to apologize that doesn’t agree.

I think @Nunu has hit the nail on the head -- practice if you will, but please do so AFTER opening time plus 15 minutes so as not to generate requests while people actually in the parks are trying to get regular boarding groups.

disneygeek90

I think I understand where you're coming from. I posted about this issue a few pages ago and quickly learned that me being concerned about how people practicing might affect actual park guests, isn't very popular around these parts.

The least of my concerns is whose fault this glitch is/was. What concerns me, is that I wouldn't want to diminish anyone's chances of getting an actual BG in any way, shape or form. Again, we still don't know what exactly happened and that's not the point, at least, it isn't for me.

Wouldn't it be better if people practiced only after all boarding and backup groups are distributed for the day? That way, they can still practice all they want without the risk of affecting actual park-goers. Just a considerate gesture that doesn't take much, imo. :)
How does one practice after groups are filled lol. That’s not even possible and defeats the purpose of practice.

I have almost never opened the app at 8 and gone through the motions when I’m not there as I’m usually getting ready for work, but the last thing I’m thinking of when I’m standing on sunset blvd is “I hope others practicing at home don’t screw me up.”

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
How does one practice after groups are filled lol. That’s not even possible and defeats the purpose of practice.
You can practice the steps to get to the red button based on your choice of start-up method -- cold start or refresh.

I have almost never opened the app at 8 and gone through the motions when I’m not there as I’m usually getting ready for work, but the last thing I’m thinking of when I’m standing on sunset blvd is “I hope others practicing at home don’t screw me up.”
The question to be asking yourself is "I wonder if my practicing during park opening is screwing other people out of a chance of getting a regular boarding group?"

Would you go out on the field and practice your placekicking during a college football game?

disneygeek90

You can practice the steps to get to the red button.

The question to be asking yourself is "I wonder if my practicing during park opening is screwing other people out of a chance of getting a regular boarding group?"

Would you go out on the field and practice your placekicking during a college football game?
I don’t typically open the app at 8 so I don’t need to ask myself that. Have you been to the park to get a group before since you haven’t practiced? There are absolutely steps people like to practice that are only available when groups are open. Furthermore, those practicing their speed would really only be able to accurately test in a live setting at open (ensure the join group is active right at 8 etc).

Obviously people don’t need to go “all the way” where they click join and then the friends list, but like I said I don’t blame anyone for doing so when they have limited opportunity.

I’m not a football fan so I don’t understand the football analogy lol

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom