News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

KevinPage

Disney planning websites should probably incorporate this into their recommendations.

Visit Hollywood Studios on Wednesday*.

*this advice is void if @disneygeek90 is expected to be present. Please consult wdwmagic.com for more information.

8AF1282A-F942-44A1-9A83-0E4E222261F5.gif

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
It's almost inconceivable to go from the last 2 days performance to today's. Would love to know why it goes down for those extended periods of time why it can't be "permanently" repaired and why those same issues didn't come up today. They are on pace to be close to calling more BG's today than the last 2 combined

And why the struggles continue during the weekdays vs the weekend?
Imagineers don't work on weekends?

tecowdw

Does Disneyland's ROTR have the same type of ups and downs - good days, bad days? I assume their BG distribution process - all gone a minute or two after park open - is the same.

DCBaker

Premium Member
I knew I should have bookmarked the dang thing...can someone point me to the list of best practices for getting a boarding group please?

Here is how @Demarke has been getting consistently low group numbers.

Yep, basically I turn my phone off for about ten minutes or so and turn it back on at 6:55:00 and give it time to boot up and make sure I’ve got wifi and Bluetooth off; then 6:57:30 open the app so it has a minute to load but don’t touch anything; at 7:00:00 exactly hit “Find Out More;” the past two days the Join Group button has been available at the next screen, prior tries I just hit check status and the join group button was available on that screen.

Not sure if this matters, but the past two days I have been posting up right in the middle of the open area in front of the display screens and Chinese theater. The theory being that there are less people there to compete with for cell signal and less buildings/metal/tree coverage that could possibly slow a cell signal (I’m no tech guy, but it’s correlated to not having to take the added step of the check status page to get to the join group selection).

The only time I haven’t had join group button available was due to an app glitch and I had to hard restart the app (there were two things different about that day, I think that was the one day I tried waiting a second or two past 7:00 to see if that worked better and was the only day I didn’t get finger scanned at check in, but I’m probably reading too much into either of those having any real impact in causing my app not to load past the “find out more” button that morning). The other five times I’ve gotten in the first three groups of the day.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
Thank you!

Remember - Regardless of the method you choose, the first and most important steps to getting a low boarding group are being ready at the second it goes “live” and being familiar with the progression of screens and what you need to do beforehand. Just having a game plan will give you a leg up.

While all the people around you are seeing each page for the first time and taking time to process what to do next, you’ll be done while the guy next to you who jumped the gun too early is getting frustrated and turning to his wife saying, “The join group button won’t do anything, what are we supposed to do now?” By being prepared, you’ll already know not to click find out more until right at 7:00:00 because any earlier has a better chance to hurt you than help, and if join group isn’t immediately available, you’ll know to immediately click check status and it should be available by then there.

Good luck and go get ‘em!!

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your great advice. I knew what to expect. Just got back from my trip . . . went to Hollywood Studios on Jan 30th --bad day for ROTR. Here's my experience:

I definitely opened app way too early. Go with opening it from scratch at 7:00am like others are suggesting. Luckily my aunt was on it and got boarding pass 59. Got called around early lunch time. Ride broke down and we waited in line for 1 1/2 hours! Yes, they brought us chips, bananas, water. Chewy walked by but did not stop. They said he would come back but never did. Scanned our magic bands to give us fastpasses for it later. Came back in the evening (only 3 out of 5 in my party were up to coming back). Ride broke down again, but luckily we rode most of the ride first. IMO --one of the best rides in Disney! Scanned magic bands for fastpass again. Ride never came back up. Stood in customer service line for 45 min. Nice CM gave us another day ticket and fastpasses for everyone in our party. Came back the next day late morning. Ride broke down again (after 1st 2 phases--no spoilers). Scanned magic bands for fastpasses. Came back; finally rode entire ride all the way through! Definitely an impressive ride, but more so the first time through--not the fourth Ha Ha!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom