News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

gerarar

Premium Member
I think it's safe to say that they called all boarding groups distributed today....just about mirroring yesterday's success.
A huge win for everyone at HS today and waited patiently!! 🥳
Screenshot_20200128-185124_Chrome.jpg

Side note, it seems like they're comfortable calling BGs past 6pm now, aka 2 hours before the park closes. A step in the right direction regardless!

TrainsOfDisney

Ughh Disney is making something complicated that used to be quite simple. You build the ride, you have cm previews, you have passholder previews, you have soft opens, and then you actually open the ride when it’s ready to open.

They are acting like it’s this complex thing that needs boarding groups and reservations for. This ride isn’t anything more special than Star Tours was, or Indiana Jones, or Cars, etc. it’s just not ready to open, and shouldn’t be advertised as open.

I will agree.... this sounds like a better system than universal’s for an attraction that was also apparently not ready to open.

steveNJ

Like I mentioned, I like BG. But Disney is doing surveys for a reason. I'm not sure of the correct format. But it's obvious the current one isn't working and alienating some. Looking for balance in a difficult scenario until ride reliability goes higher. Whatever one had the most benefits would be the one you got?
The only people who are alienated are those that don’t want to get up early, they won’t keep the 7am open time forever, it’ll go back to 8 and 9 at some point meaning even those non-early birds will get closer to a chance. Mon-Fri it is probably 90% (or higher) resort guests (unless someone that lives 15 minutes away tries to get a BG for after work) And the BG still go quick, which means all those resort guests that you say are getting a raw deal are getting all the BGs (if they get up early).

MJJME

The only people who are alienated are those that don’t want to get up early, they won’t keep the 7am open time forever, it’ll go back to 8 and 9 at some point meaning even those non-early birds will get closer to a chance. Mon-Fri it is probably 90% (or higher) resort guests (unless someone that lives 15 minutes away tries to get a BG for after work) And the BG still go quick, which means all those resort guests that you say are getting a raw deal are getting all the BGs (if they get up early).
I would guess 94.7% of resort guests don't get up before 8am. Might be off by 0.1%

WDW_Emily

The new hour window makes me a little nervous about our upcoming trip. We have dining reservations at 4pm. What happens if your group is called around 3:30? There is no way we could make it and do our dining reservation.

gerarar

Premium Member
The new hour window makes me a little nervous about our upcoming trip. We have dining reservations at 4pm. What happens if your group is called around 3:30? There is no way we could make it and do our dining reservation.
It's still two hour windows. The new one hour window thing only applies for the first couple and handful BGs called right at opening.

MJJME

If that were true, they wouldn’t offer EMH or the early morning hard ticket events. Try and get a breakfast reservation early am at most of the restaurants. People are absolutely getting up early, they may only do it 1 day out of 5-7 they are staying but they are getting up.
Yes I know. All my post said was I like BG but there is obviously some questions on it since Disney is surveying guests about it. So I just thought this imperfect system could be tweaked by using some suggestions of other posts And I knew I would be badgered by this audience since the majority of people on here are the small minority that benefit from the current set up

disneygeek90

After I click on my status do I still have to click on join boarding group on the next page that follows or does it automatically put me into a boarding group
If you time it correctly, join boarding group will be red. You don’t need to click my status.
If you open the app right at seven doesn’t it take at least 30 seconds for the app the fully loaded I know it does on my phone
Takes around 5 seconds for me

PeoplemoverTTA

I would guess 94.7% of resort guests don't get up before 8am. Might be off by 0.1%

Have you ever been in a WDW resort food court at 7 in the morning? MANY people are up - you can barely move if you’re trying to get breakfast in the morning!

When we got to DHS at 6am on 12/19 to ride RotR, most of the people around us were families with children, and from conversation, most were resort guests.

Resort guests for whom RotR is a priority are making it for rope drop. As someone who has followed this thread since Day 1 and experienced rope drop, BGs and all that good stuff herself, I just can’t see how/why we’re still having an argument about whether BGs are the best option.

Yes, it should have had previews and soft opens. But it didn’t. Considering the situation, this is the best option. Can we get back to talking about the day’s performance and helping other members navigate the process?

ImperfectPixie

Yes I know. All my post said was I like BG but there is obviously some questions on it since Disney is surveying guests about it. So I just thought this imperfect system could be tweaked by using some suggestions of other posts And I knew I would be badgered by this audience since the majority of people on here are the small minority that benefit from the current set up
In the case of Disney conducting surveys, they generally already know what they want to do and only change their minds if the survey results are radically different than what they hoped for. (Re-naming Hollywood Studios, for example.)

steveNJ

I think you’re wrong about the benefit, you’re saying it’s all local APs, I’d say they get up early now, they‘ll get up early to hit standby at rope drop, there is no difference. BGs are just the old FP system gone digital, no more running for the machine. FP+ will still have the same limitations on how many people can ride, except once it goes in, those who pay more get a better shot (club level) at riding. Best you get out of FP+ is to let 1000 people sleep a little later, maybe.

disneygeek90

Have you ever been in a WDW resort food court at 7 in the morning? MANY people are up - you can barely move if you’re trying to get breakfast in the morning!

When we got to DHS at 6am on 12/19 to ride RotR, most of the people around us were families with children, and from conversation, most were resort guests.

Resort guests for whom RotR is a priority are making it for rope drop. As someone who has followed this thread since Day 1 and experienced rope drop, BGs and all that good stuff herself, I just can’t see how/why we’re still having an argument about whether BGs are the best option.

Yes, it should have had previews and soft opens. But it didn’t. Considering the situation, this is the best option. Can we get back to talking about the day’s performance and helping other members navigate the process?
It boggles my mind that the only requirement for riding this hot new attraction with a ~30 minute wait in queue is waking up early and that somehow that’s unfair. Everyone has the choice to sleep in or not. I know I’d rather have spent my weekends sleeping in the past month but instead the chance to get on ROTR with little wait is too enticing. I find it hard to believe a resort guest can’t make one modification to their plans and wake up at 5:30am instead of 7.

MJJME

I think you’re wrong about the benefit, you’re saying it’s all local APs, I’d say they get up early now, they‘ll get up early to hit standby at rope drop, there is no difference. BGs are just the old FP system gone digital, no more running for the machine. FP+ will still have the same limitations on how many people can ride, except once it goes in, those who pay more get a better shot (club level) at riding. Best you get out of FP+ is to let 1000 people sleep a little later, maybe.
Yes. Again, I agree. I like BGs. Can everyone else please see I like BGs. I really do. I swear I do. In case you weren't sure where I stood, I like BGs. I was responding to a post about surveys and recognizing that this current system (that I like in case you weren't sure) could be tweaked to make it better for all groups, not just the early crowds.

disneygeek90

Yes. Again, I agree. I like BGs. Can everyone else please see I like BGs. I really do. I swear I do. In case you weren't sure where I stood, I like BGs. I was responding to a post about surveys and recognizing that this current system (that I like in case you weren't sure) could be tweaked to make it better for all groups, not just the early crowds.
More people want to ride that can, that just is what it is. But aside from catering to those that want to sleep in till 9 I really don’t see how this process could be any more fair. Everyone is on an equal playing field the second they step into the park before 7.

No one is used to arriving at parks at 6-6:30am. This is new for us all but people are adapting if they find the attraction worth it.

MJJME

So we're hitting DHS tomorrow morning. What's a safe time to get there this week? We're at poly and have to grab a bus
You should be at the security gates no later than 30 minutes prior to park opening and tomorrow is 7am so no later than 6:30. Not sure how long it will take bus from poly but if it's important to you, you might want to consider an Uber or Lyft. If you have to take bus, ask concierge at hotel and th en probably add 15 minutes

MJJME

It boggles my mind that the only requirement for riding this hot new attraction with a ~30 minute wait in queue is waking up early and that somehow that’s unfair. Everyone has the choice to sleep in or not. I know I’d rather have spent my weekends sleeping in the past month but instead the chance to get on ROTR with little wait is too enticing. I find it hard to believe a resort guest can’t make one modification to their plans and wake up at 5:30am instead of 7.
I don't think it's unfair, I just think it's not what most people do while on vacation. If it was, there would be more people there and BGs would be sold out in the first minute. What's capacity for the ride? Assume 14k per day? If half those riding are non resort guests then that means only 7k resort guests are getting up early enough to ride. Disney has 30,000 hotel rooms at over 25 hotels. If there's only 3 people per room on average (I bet it's prob 4+) That means there's 90,000 hotel guests and only 7k are up that early

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom