News Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance Standby Line and Boarding Groups at Disney's Hollywood Studios

steveNJ

People are being told by the app that they're not in the park...same problem as yesterday. I just directed a family to a GET umbrella.

This is ridiculous. If they can't figure out how to do it without fingerprints....how 'bout don't change it!!

I doubt it’s a fingerprint issue, it’d affect everyone. Its more likely the system can’t handle so many updates at once (due to the crowds) and is experiencing data loss

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
I doubt it’s a fingerprint issue, it’d affect everyone. Its more likely the system can’t handle so many updates at once (due to the crowds) and is experiencing data loss

I agree. I think the sheer speed of the entry at ALL the tapstiles in DHS with nobody having to pause for a finger scan is more than the system can deal with. With fingers, even if all the tapstiles are open, you are looking at most likely about 5-10 people per second. Without the fingers, I expect it is more than double that. (Please note that absolutely no science was used in this, just throwing out numbers for the sake of making the point) Since the issue with system is that people are not coming up as ‘in park,’ BUT all those people got the magical green light after they tapped, that’s what I think is happening. Put the fingers back in, just to slow things down a bit, and it will work fine??

Based on our limited experience - no issues on Monday with 7am opening and finger scans. Issues on Thursday with 6am opening and no finger scans. And it appears from postings here and elsewhere that this morning was very similar to yesterday. We might be going in tomorrow morning and will see what happens!

gerarar

Premium Member
I agree. I think the sheer speed of the entry at ALL the tapstiles in DHS with nobody having to pause for a finger scan is more than the system can deal with. With fingers, even if all the tapstiles are open, you are looking at most likely about 5-10 people per second. Without the fingers, I expect it is more than double that. (Please note that absolutely no science was used in this, just throwing out numbers for the sake of making the point) Since the issue with system is that people are not coming up as ‘in park,’ BUT all those people got the magical green light after they tapped, that’s what I think is happening. Put the fingers back in, just to slow things down a bit, and it will work fine??

Based on our limited experience - no issues on Monday with 7am opening and finger scans. Issues on Thursday with 6am opening and no finger scans. And it appears from postings here and elsewhere that this morning was very similar to yesterday. We might be going in tomorrow morning and will see what happens!
Ah that kinda makes more sense. But then that just exposes Disney's lack of good IT structure and capabilities. The databases holding the data should be able to handle such influx of data coming into it, no matter the amount per minute per second.

I'm just a Junior in CompSci, but databases shouldn't be indexed and modeled after a heap structure to be able to handle such huge influxes of data and queries, or what they call OLAP systems. If it gets to a point where data is lost in the process, it's bad db design and needs to be changed by the DBA's or engineers. Data integrity needs to be held across all databases and storage.

Ravenclaw78

Ah that kinda makes more sense. But then that just exposes Disney's lack of good IT structure and capabilities. The databases holding the data should be able to handle such influx of data coming into it, no matter the amount per minute per second.

I'm just a Junior in CompSci, but databases shouldn't be indexed and modeled after a heap structure to be able to handle such huge influxes of data and queries, or what they call OLAP systems. If it gets to a point where data is lost in the process, it's bad db design and needs to be changed by the DBA's or engineers. Data integrity needs to be held across all databases and storage.
Disney operates their IT department on a shoestring budget, outsources and offshores almost all the work to avoid paying US FTE labor rates, and treats the handful of remaining US cast members in IT like dirt. As a result, their websites, apps, and databases are a train wreck. You get what you pay for.

Ravenclaw78

It's all about Iger trying to squeeze out more money.
True, though it's hardly limited to him or to Disney. Most large, publicly-traded corporations fail to grasp a very simple concept: Customers are a company's lifeblood, and IT is the circulatory system that keeps that lifeblood pumping. Treat your IT department as your core revenue generator, and they'll keep the systems in good health so the profit can flow. Treat it as an expensive cost sink and starve it of funding, and those arteries clog awful fast.

gerarar

Premium Member
In other news, ROTR is still not open....almost 2 hours into park opening:
Screenshot_20191227-074602_Chrome.jpg

A lot of backup boarding groups won't be able to ride tonight....again..

Also no more groups available

Last edited:

steveNJ

Disney operates their IT department on a shoestring budget, outsources and offshores almost all the work to avoid paying US FTE labor rates, and treats the handful of remaining US cast members in IT like dirt. As a result, their websites, apps, and databases are a train wreck. You get what you pay for.

There’s good and bad in everything, I’ve been in plenty of companies where their internal IT wasn’t very good but getting paid US rates. At the same time seen really good offshore folks. Everyone is trying to save money, that’s a reality of moving to the cloud, AI etc. For the most part Disney’s stuff probably works about as well as any other companies, we just have a tendency to hold them to a higher standard. There are always things that are going to pop up that are unexpected.

Epcot_Imagineer

Looks like it's up and running as of very recently.
The park opened at 6am, but didn't start calling guests until 8:30-ish... this could very well be a continuation of downtimes they've been running into, but part of me thinks... What if they delay RotR opening in order to force guests to disperse throughout the park? Or am I giving ops too much credit? 😁

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
There’s good and bad in everything, I’ve been in plenty of companies where their internal IT wasn’t very good but getting paid US rates. At the same time seen really good offshore folks. Everyone is trying to save money, that’s a reality of moving to the cloud, AI etc. For the most part Disney’s stuff probably works about as well as any other companies, we just have a tendency to hold them to a higher standard. There are always things that are going to pop up that are unexpected.
Then how does Amazon do it?

Disney claims to be an entertainment company with a bent towards internet-driven technology, yet their web presence for their flagship Global product really kind of sucks.

Maybe instead of buying Fox, Iger should'a bought a reliable service provider to fix the Disney IT infrastructure.

DonaldDoleWhip

Then how does Amazon do it?

Disney claims to be an entertainment company with a bent towards internet-driven technology, yet their web presence for their flagship Global product really kind of sucks.

Maybe instead of buying Fox, Iger should'a bought a reliable service provider to fix the Disney IT infrastructure.
Yeah, this is totally unimpressive considering where we are and what true technology-driven companies have long since achieved.

Disney wants us to think it's innovative and tech-forward ('we put our content on iTunes first!') so why is this a thing? How has scaling up (to cope with tens of thousands max) not been a priority for Parks & Resorts?

Last edited:

disneygeek90

Definitely makes sense that the no finger scan is too much for MDE to register everyone is in the park all at once.

There's a delay of at least 10 seconds for people using finger scans, and we all know a decent chunk get a blue light at least once. This in turn helps the system load people in every few seconds rather than every 2 seconds. I can't tell where the lines are when they are opening now, but it seems like they should just leave the fingerprint on if it actually, in turn, helps the app run more efficiently.

It's interesting they are turning it off now but had it running the first few weeks. Morning crowds haven't changed demand all that much but maybe due to Christmas week there's just enough people for them to warrant turning off the fingerprint.

disneygeek90

Opening morning they turned off fingerprints.

I think this is a capacity issue when they want to clear out the crowd that goes to the security booths.
From what I have seen they don't want the line to clog up past those booths.
Opening morning was also a lot more staggered due to them opening way earlier, but that makes sense.

Every time I've been everyone is using the fingerprint.

gerarar

Premium Member
Man what could I say?! What an experience!!!

The first time around I was more focused on getting pictures/videos, but considering this was my second time through, I was able to enjoy all of it and take it all in.

It truly is a masterpiece. There's so many details everywhere you look. Ride it as much times as you can if you're visiting. I had 4 chances to do so this past week, but 2 ended up being failed called groups (was less than 5 away from each being called).

The cast members, from either the Rebellion or First Order, really add to it. Don't be afraid to interact with them! It makes the whole experience better!

I feel really blessed this WDW trip as I was able to experience two amazing attractions for the first time (and more!); Rise of the Resistance and Flight of Passage. It's an amazing time to be a parks fan!!

The one complaint I have is that I wish there were more practical effects. Like when the various things (AT-AT or cannon blaster) shoot at you and hit the wall, it's just a projection of smoke. From far away it looks convincing, but there are some that are right next to you that clearly looks like projections. Add some smoke or fog to simulate it exploding. For example after the cannon rooms, the walls are blown off and there are projections of smoke. You pass by this in your right side, therefore it would be nice if it was actual smoke.

There are some practical effects from blaster hits used tho. In the AT-AT room, crates that get hit are actually "blasted". Same goes for when you first encounter the Stormtroopers. The ceiling end up "blasted".

Also the lightsaber through the ceiling is really cool and amazing up close! If you're unexpecting it, it brings a whoa! to your face.

20191227_103320.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom