Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

Professortango1

No one is planning a vacation day at Disneyland solely to ride RotR. Tourists think the park will be packed so they aren't showing up in January. The AP crowd is showing up in the morning to ride instead of after work as usual and then leaving. This leaves a very nice uncrowded park which is not what Disney wants for a new billion dollar land.

I would be planning a Disney day if I knew I could get on RotR. That would be the reason I'd go to the park right now and without the ability to wait in line to ride it and instead trusting a lottery system, it just doesn't make sense to fork over $150 on a chance.

Phroobar

But.... isn’t that the goal of opening a new land? People coming to experience the new land? People focused on the new land?

There’s an ad campaign out right now about how “you’ve done that, but you haven’t done THIS! Now is the best time to visit! Ahora!”

The goal of a new land is for people to come specifically for that new addition.

I mean, people went to universal to ride Forbidden Journey. They didn’t book their trip to ride the other rides. Sure, it’s included in the package... but if your trips goal was to experience the new land, you’ll want to do just that.

People are booking trips FOR Galaxy’s Edge.
Not to Disneyland just for that. It's a different market and the internet buzz of boarding groups have pretty much killed it.

Mickeyboof

Not to Disneyland just for that. It's a different market and the internet buzz of boarding groups have pretty much killed it.

Sign, well, that’s the truth.

I’ve overhead many people talk about “seperate admission” and “the land is sold out, there’s no way to get in!”

But I think there are plenty going just for Star Wars. More now than before.

Mark_E

Had a really good run on my four days of visits this week:
Monday - Group 16 (4 of us), the calling of groups started with group 1. Got on the ride around 11:45
Tuesday - Group 27 (3 of us), there was a bit of downtime but we got on the ride at around 1pm
Wednesday - Group 14 (Just me), started calling from group 11, Called at about 9:10, straight into the queue at 9:20 and off by 9:40
Thursday - Group 26 (Just me), ride went down at around 12:15 just as I was about to board. Returned at around 2:10 straight through the fastpass line and straight on. A slightly "buggy" ride with lots of stops and starts in the last 90 seconds or so, I genuinely thought we were about to get evacuated off the ride.

I really loved it! Such a great experience all around. The cast members really make it! My technique for getting a group was to close all my apps, re-open the app around 2 mins before park open, and I had the second hand on my watch aligned with my iphone clock. When it got to 5 seconds before, I looked at the time on phone, as soon as it hit 9am (or 8am Weds), I hit find out more, then my status, join boarding group, and then confirmed party. The only day this didnt work exactly right was Thursday where the Join boarding group wasn't illuminated after hitting my status. Once more back and forward and it worked.

Darkbeer1

>>The new Rise of the Resistance ride at Disneyland has been breaking down once or twice a day for an hour or more as thousands of Star Wars fans anxiously wait to experience the new Galaxy’s Edge attraction, according to a theme park tracking company.

Touring Plans, which uses big data and statistical analysis to calculate daily crowd sizes and ride wait times at theme parks, has been tracking daily downtimes on the new Rise of the Resistance ride that debuted Jan. 17 at the Anaheim theme park.<<

>>Touring Plans estimates that the Rise of the Resistance attraction at Disneyland has been accommodating just under 1,100 riders per hour in recent days. Rise of the Resistance has a capacity of at least 1,700 riders per hour under favorable conditions, according to Touring Plans. Touring Plans estimates Disneyland’s Rise of the Resistance attraction is running at approximately two-thirds capacity.

That means nearly 18,000 riders are able to experience Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland in a 16-ho
number would be closer to 13,000.

On most days, the backup boarding group threshold tends to be in the 80 to 83 range, meaning visitors with boarding groups below that number are expected to get on the ride. The backup boarding group threshold has been as low as 42 — which happened on Wednesday, Jan. 29, when the park was closing early for an 80s Nite after-hours party.

Disneyland has been able to accommodate some backup boarding groups on most days. The park made it all the way to boarding group 122 on Jan. 27, one of the best operational days yet for Rise of the Resistance. On the flip side, the park only made it to boarding group 81 on Jan. 19 and 26. On most days, Rise of the Resistance reaches backup boarding groups in the 105 to 115 range.

Back-to-back downtimes hurt the most — and Rise of the Resistance has had its share of them during the first two weeks of operation. The ride had back-to-back breakdowns that stretched for approximately two hours or more on Jan. 22, 23 and 25, according to Touring Plans.

But those weren’t the worst days by far. Back-to-back breakdowns stretched for approximately 4 hours on Jan. 19, according to Touring Plans. On Jan. 26, Rise of the Resistance went down three times in a row over the course of an 8-hour period, resulting in no backup boarding groups being called, Touring Plans data shows.<<

TP2000

My technique for getting a group was to close all my apps, re-open the app around 2 mins before park open, and I had the second hand on my watch aligned with my iphone clock. When it got to 5 seconds before, I looked at the time on phone, as soon as it hit 9am (or 8am Weds), I hit find out more, then my status, join boarding group, and then confirmed party. The only day this didnt work exactly right was Thursday where the Join boarding group wasn't illuminated after hitting my status. Once more back and forward and it worked.

Thank you! I have included your info on my little list of things to do to make this work. Much of what you did also seems to have worked for others, but those that deviated a bit with their App usage ran into problems. I was going to go to the Apple store this weekend on an errand, but I'm putting that off until after I ride because I don't want one of those Genius Bar kids touching my phone and ruining it somehow.

It's giving me hope for my upcoming event...
International House of Pancakes Presents TP2000 Immersed In Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, Powered by Lyft.

Phroobar

>>The new Rise of the Resistance ride at Disneyland has been breaking down once or twice a day for an hour or more as thousands of Star Wars fans anxiously wait to experience the new Galaxy’s Edge attraction, according to a theme park tracking company.

Touring Plans, which uses big data and statistical analysis to calculate daily crowd sizes and ride wait times at theme parks, has been tracking daily downtimes on the new Rise of the Resistance ride that debuted Jan. 17 at the Anaheim theme park.<<

>>Touring Plans estimates that the Rise of the Resistance attraction at Disneyland has been accommodating just under 1,100 riders per hour in recent days. Rise of the Resistance has a capacity of at least 1,700 riders per hour under favorable conditions, according to Touring Plans. Touring Plans estimates Disneyland’s Rise of the Resistance attraction is running at approximately two-thirds capacity.

That means nearly 18,000 riders are able to experience Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland in a 16-ho

On most days, the backup boarding group threshold tends to be in the 80 to 83 range, meaning visitors with boarding groups below that number are expected to get on the ride. The backup boarding group threshold has been as low as 42 — which happened on Wednesday, Jan. 29, when the park was closing early for an 80s Nite after-hours party.

Disneyland has been able to accommodate some backup boarding groups on most days. The park made it all the way to boarding group 122 on Jan. 27, one of the best operational days yet for Rise of the Resistance. On the flip side, the park only made it to boarding group 81 on Jan. 19 and 26. On most days, Rise of the Resistance reaches backup boarding groups in the 105 to 115 range.

Back-to-back downtimes hurt the most — and Rise of the Resistance has had its share of them during the first two weeks of operation. The ride had back-to-back breakdowns that stretched for approximately two hours or more on Jan. 22, 23 and 25, according to Touring Plans.

But those weren’t the worst days by far. Back-to-back breakdowns stretched for approximately 4 hours on Jan. 19, according to Touring Plans. On Jan. 26, Rise of the Resistance went down three times in a row over the course of an 8-hour period, resulting in no backup boarding groups being called, Touring Plans data shows.<<
So what keeps breaking? Is it the CMs don't dispatch quick enough? Why can't they fix it?

ProjectXBlog

Thank you! I have included your info on my little list of things to do to make this work. Much of what you did also seems to have worked for others, but those that deviated a bit with their App usage ran into problems. I was going to go to the Apple store this weekend on an errand, but I'm putting that off until after I ride because I don't want one of those Genius Bar kids touching my phone and ruining it somehow.

It's giving me hope for my upcoming event...
International House of Pancakes Presents TP2000 Immersed In Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, Powered by Lyft.
are you trying for this weekend too?

TP2000

Thanks for the article Darkbeer!

But this line about the recent 1,100 riders per hour caught my eye and made me laugh out loud... :D

"That means nearly 18,000 riders are able to experience Rise of the Resistance at Disneyland in a 16-hour day."

That statement assumes the ride is open the entire 16 hours like Space Mountain or Pirates or Teacups or any other ride, which Rise Before Dawn most definitely is not.

Last weekend when Disneyland was open 16 hours from 8am to Midnight from Friday thru Sunday, the ride did this...

Friday 1/24: First BG Called 9:20am, Last #122 BG Called 8:25pm, 2 Hours Breakdown = 10 Hours Operation
Saturday 1/25: First BG Called 9:15am, Last #106 BG Called 8:20pm, 3.5 Hours Breakdown = 8.5 Hours Operation
Sunday 1/26: First BG Called 8:40am, Last #81 BG Called 7:35pm, 6 Hours Breakdown = 6 Hours Operation

And now this morning Disneyland opened at 8am but they didn't call the first Boarding Group until 9am and the ride has already been broken down for two hours today.

Assuming they have a nice long tea break late this afternoon, and then call the last Boarding Group at 8:30pm so that the final riders are disembarking by the time the fireworks are ending at 9:45pm they'll have another day of only 8 or 9 hours of actual operation on a day that Disneyland is open for 16 hours.

Just for those keeping score at home. :)

Last edited:

TP2000

It's a gorgeous spring-like warm evening here in Orange County, the Disneyland fireworks haven't even begun, but Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn has already closed for the night. This ride is an embarrassment! :banghead:

Here are the stats for Friday, January 31st, when Disneyland was open from 8am to Midnight....

8am: Disneyland opens
9am: Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn opens with Boarding Groups 1-10
9:45am: Ride breaks down at Boarding Group 26
10:40am: Ride reopens at Boarding Group 27
11:35am: Ride breaks down at Boarding Group 41
12:40pm: Ride reopens at Boarding Group 42
1:50pm: Ride breaks down at Boarding Group 59
3:00pm: Ride reopens at Boarding Group 60
6:45pm: Ride breaks down at Boarding Group 99
7:45pm: Ride reopens at Boarding Group 100
8:35pm: Ride closes for the night at Boarding Group 110
12:00 Midnight: Disneyland closes for the night

Grand total for today, for those keeping score at home, is this...

Friday 1/31: First BG Called at 9:00am, Last #109 BG Called at 8:30pm, 4.5 Hours Breakdown = 8 Hours Operation

So this new ride was open for one half of one operating day, with a miserably low hourly capacity of around 1,100 riders per hour during the 8 hours it was actually open. That's pathetic.

As if Burbank has enough to worry about with the Coronavirus shutting down one third of their parks, there's this pathetically designed Rise Before Dawn thing that's sucking wind and taking names for 8 or 10 hours per day. 😷

bokeh_plot (3).png

Last edited:

AJFireman

You do need to add the hours of continued operation. It actually shows up to 110 has been called tonight and if they called that at 830pm they have until 930pm to return to the ride queue. Also according to Thrill-Data its shows an average of over 90 minutes after about 8pm. So the ride doesnt actually stops operating around 10 to 1030. I have seen reports from some that they didnt get off the ride until 11pm some nights.

TP2000

You do need to add the hours of continued operation. It actually shows up to 110 has been called tonight and if they called that at 830pm they have until 930pm to return to the ride queue. Also according to Thrill-Data its shows an average of over 90 minutes after about 8pm. So the ride doesnt actually stops operating around 10 to 1030. I have seen reports from some that they didnt get off the ride until 11pm some nights.

In all of the daily stats I offered above I add an extra hour into the "daily operation" total to account for the extra hour folks have to return to the ride after the last Boarding Group is called.

For example, today's 8 hours of operation includes the hour from 8:30pm to 9:30pm that folks in Boarding Groups 100 to 110 have to return to enter the queue. From the time the ride opened this morning at 9am until the last Boarding Group was called at 8:30pm was about seven hours of total operation, plus an extra hour after 8:30pm and that gets you a total of 8 hours of operation in a 16 hour operating day.

That's pathetic.

In all of the daily stats I offered above I add an extra hour into the "daily operation" total to account for the extra hour folks have to return to the ride after the last Boarding Group is called.

For example, today's 8 hours of operation includes the hour from 8:30pm to 9:30pm that folks in Boarding Groups 100 to 110 have to return to enter the queue. From the time the ride opened this morning at 9am until the last Boarding Group was called at 8:30pm was about seven hours of total operation, plus an extra hour after 8:30pm and that gets you a total of 8 hours of operation in a 16 hour operating day.

That's pathetic.
So I went on the ride today and it gave me a two hour return window, so my guess would be 2 hours after 8:30, i.e. 9 hours of operation.

So some quick and dirty math:
9 hours of operation * 1,100 riders per hour = 9,900 riders.
On the other hand, with an assumption of 100 riders per boarding group, and with 109 boarding groups minus groups 1-10 (11 was the first boarding group today) = 100 * 99 = 9,900 riders.

So two estimates give the same number of riders, 9,900.

mandelbrot

RotR is not the only ride in the park. Disneyland has lots of other rides for you to enjoy. You are not guaranteed to ride anything. Rides go down all the time. Disney owes you nothing for your $150 except the right to be in their park for the day.
ROTR is the new thing. AP's who go every week want to do the new thing. It's why so many AP's will wait in an hour line for a new popcorn bucket, or overrun a suddenly AP-exclusive place like Al Fresco Terrace.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom