Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
Bingo!

If Mr. Testa is correct (and I'm increasingly of the opinion that he is) and this new ride has been averaging 700 riders per hour for its opening weekend, that is...
  • Roughly the same hourly capacity as the Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes when they are using seven canoes.
  • Roughly 25% of the hourly capacity of Pirates of the Caribbean.
  • Less than half the hourly capacity of Guardians Of The Galaxy.
  • The amount of people seated on four (4) parking lot trams arriving from Mickey & Friends.
  • Slightly more than the number of tourists who get food poisoning each day at Captain Kidd's Buffet.
And barely more than half of what he is reporting at the WDW version

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
The fact is that more people show up to ride the ride than the ride can handle. Every day there will be losers.

If it's first come first served, losers will be those who show up two hours early instead of three hours early.

There is no perfectly fair system such that those who couldn't ride (and there will be those who couldn't simply because there wasn't the capacity to accommodate them) will claim that such a system was unfair to them because:
  • They paid a premium to stay at a resort
  • They are an AP and deserve benefits for being one
  • They can handle camping out overnight
  • They are a local and the system requires them to come back during work hours
  • They are a tourist and that was the only day they'd be in DL!
  • They can handle a six hour line and you never gave them a chance to stand in that line!!!!
  • Etc...
Whatever reason human beings can come up with as to why they should get to ride ahead of others... they will voice it.

el_super

How was it before at DHS?

EDIT: I used google. And it was originally first come, first served. I guess with the current demand both are flawed.

No system is perfect. The current system has the benefit of stopping masses of people trying to line up and form a queue. That's what happened at DHS at the park gates. Those masses of people are a hazard for Disney. At the least they are an operational nightmare to manage, and at worse they are a huge security risk.

Having a lottery in the morning prevents people from lining up in the esplanade early (which is good), but means there is no safe gauranteed method for obtaining a boarding pass. It isn't fair and I think the lottery system is getting a lot of complaints here in California that it didn't out in Florida. It will be interesting to see how long they keep it around. It's gonna go away sometime, so they might as well rip the band-aid off soon.

I think the more likely conspiracy is that they're using the BG system to try and mask just how few people are actually getting to go on the damn thing.

Is it really worth trying to mask though? Yeah the capacity isnt great, but how much of an issue is that really?

Remember when Disney spent nearly $200 million to bring back the submarines, a ride that, on a good day nets about 900 people an hour... The teacups and Dumbo are also both in that "Disneyland Essentials" category and both are still sub 1000/hour rides.

Once the lottery system is abolished, it will just be like any other ride, and people who really want to ride it can make a judgement call on whether the wait is worth it. They wont care what the capacity is.

lumberguy5

Is it really worth trying to mask though? Yeah the capacity isnt great, but how much of an issue is that really?

Remember when Disney spent nearly $200 million to bring back the submarines, a ride that, on a good day nets about 900 people an hour... The teacups and Dumbo are also both in that "Disneyland Essentials" category and both are still sub 1000/hour rides.

Once the lottery system is abolished, it will just be like any other ride, and people who really want to ride it can make a judgement call on whether the wait is worth it. They wont care what the capacity is.

The problem is that a 3-4 hr wait (to be fair it would likely be 5-6 hrs on peak days) would on historical performance incur you at least one 90+ minute downtime. In the worse case scenario, one of the days had 4 hours of downtime, you would wait over 7 hours to get on. How do you deal with guests in a line like that? What do you do if we get one of the really bad days like WDW, where a 3 hour line would be waiting 8 hours, they barely got 50 groups on.

TDA doesn't want to spend money, and any sort of standby quene is going to cost alot in labor hours. Especially if guests start lining up again at 4am.

BrianLo

If you’d like a true testimony of this, I had some app struggles on Saturday and earned BG 57, so I knew I’d have a couple hours minimum. I took a bus over to MK and rope dropped mine train for their 8am open, being one of the first 100 people into the queue. I rope dropped two different parks the same day. Thinking about it that way is still kinda mind blowing.

What you are really doing now is rope dropping a bonus third attraction. Especially at Disneyland, the benefit is three fold. Priority to whatever attraction you want, first crack at a priority Max Pass (in EITHER park including Radiator Springs Racers) and a bonus "Fastpass" of sorts to the currently most popular attraction in the resort.

There's grumbles about if a single attraction is 'worth it', but rope dropping DLR right now is very much worth the time. Contrast this to the last real E-ticket in 2012 where you really were rope dropping a 20-30 minute lineup, just to get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers.

BrianLo

6:05pm and the ride has reopened! Boarding Group 73 now called! 🤣

I told you guys that jinxing was a real issue in this thread. We have powers we might not understand. Tourists there in the park today may thank me for un-jinxing this via private message, in lieu of Patreon or PayPal.

Thanks. This isn't my first rodeo. :cool:

We all know you are getting live updates from Disney's communication goddess, Zenia. That's considered cheating!

TP2000

What you are really doing now is rope dropping a bonus third attraction. Especially at Disneyland, the benefit is three fold. Priority to whatever attraction you want, first crack at a priority Max Pass (in EITHER park including Radiator Springs Racers) and a bonus "Fastpass" of sorts to the currently most popular attraction in the resort.

There's grumbles about if a single attraction is 'worth it', but rope dropping DLR right now is very much worth the time. Contrast this to the last real E-ticket in 2012 where you really were rope dropping a 20-30 minute lineup, just to get a Fastpass for Radiator Springs Racers.

So that's an interesting point.

Disneyland USA has the most rides, and the most E Tickets, of any Disney theme park on the planet. And with an additional E Ticket currently under construction (Runaway Railway) and a full land revamp rumored to be coming soon (Tomorrowland), it's going to stay that way for at least the next two decades. Plus the additional D and E Ticket rides under construction 100 yards to the south in DCA.

With Star Wars Land's opening in 2019-2020, Disneyland is an embarrassment of riches. Yes, there are many rabid AP's and Star Wars fanatics that may be showing up way too early to ride Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, and when the WiFi craps out at 8:00:30 and they only get Backup Boarding Group 117 that is never called they will be furious and Yelp and Vlog the crap out of the place. But they'll also be back the next weekend to try again, like the suckers they are.

And if you pull back and look at the Disneyland Resort's demographics and usage patterns on a year-to-year basis, this could just be a silly and short-lived aberration that we'll all look back on with humor. Like pogs or beanie babies. Most tourists are looking forward to riding Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, but they are also super excited to ride Space Mountain and Pirates and Soarin' and Radiator Springs Racers and Peter Pan, etc., etc.

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

you know what i find annoying?

There are thousands of people wanting to ride but are not being able to get a boarding group but we see videos of the bloggers that are there almost everyday that have ridden more then once.

case in point, the site to not be named mentions in their update that they got boarding group passes on opening day then again on Saturday-This probably doesn't count the ride they probably enjoyed on media day.

How many videos and updates of the ride do they need to post? you would think they would step aside a bit and allow others to try and get a chance of getting a boarding group since they live at the park and can come back a few weeks later
THIS!!!!!!! 100%

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't why people have such an issue with vloggers. They aren't hurting anyone or forcing anyone to watch. They are selling a product that a segment of the public want, which they couldn't do if people weren't willing to buy it (in the form of views for ad revenue).
They are selling a product that is not theirs to begin with or has anything to do with them. DISNEYLAND. They didn't build the park. they didn't build the rides. but they are making money off disneyland by monitizing their videos, or having people donate to them during live streams so they can have their name shout out because people are stupid and that is important to people I guess, and they are loud, obnoxious and talk during rides and block walk ways.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Disneyland USA has the most rides, and the most E Tickets, of any Disney theme park on the planet. And with an additional E Ticket currently under construction (Runaway Railway) and a full land revamp rumored to be coming soon (Tomorrowland), it's going to stay that way for at least the next two decades. Plus the additional D and E Ticket rides under construction 100 yards to the south in DCA.

With Star Wars Land's opening in 2019-2020, Disneyland is an embarrassment of riches. Yes, there are many rabid AP's and Star Wars fanatics that may be showing up way too early to ride Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, and when the WiFi craps out at 8:00:30 and they only get Backup Boarding Group 117 that is never called they will be furious and Yelp and Vlog the crap out of the place. But they'll also be back the next weekend to try again, like the suckers they are.

And if you pull back and look at the Disneyland Resort's demographics and usage patterns on a year-to-year basis, this could just be a silly and short-lived aberration that we'll all look back on with humor. Like pogs or beanie babies. Most tourists are looking forward to riding Star Wars: Rise Before Dawn, but they are also super excited to ride Space Mountain and Pirates and Soarin' and Radiator Springs Racers and Peter Pan, etc., etc.
Well I still really really like Pogs, ok?!

TP2000

So.... we're already done for the day.

They seemed to have called it a night at 8:40pm with Boarding Group 105, even though the park is open until 11:00pm. That's better than yesterday's miserable result of only getting to Boarding Group 81, but worse than Friday and Saturday when they got to Boarding Group 117 and 112, respectively.

And this evening's operation is another piece of proof that they are purposely closing this ride down two to three hours before park closing time. Tonight the last Boarding Group was called at 8:40pm, two hours and twenty minutes before park closing time. This has to be the first time in known history that Disneyland purposely closes a new E Ticket several hours before park closing time. That was never how Disneyland worked in the past, but appears to be a sneaky benefit to the Boarding Group operation.

Final graph for Monday, January 20th, Reverend Martin Luther King Day....

Last edited:

TP2000

Of note is that the next three days are the depths of the "off-season" for Disneyland and offer about the shortest daily operating hours that the park sees now; 9am to 9pm from Tuesday through Thursday.

It will be interesting to see how this Boarding Group process works with the later opening and early closing times, before the park returns to an 8am to Midnight operation Friday through next weekend.

EDIT : A few minutes after I posted this the fireworks started.
They look so nice on this crystal clear winter night, so at least there's that. :)

Last edited:

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Of note is that the next three days are the depths of the "off-season" for Disneyland and offer about the shortest daily operating hours that the park sees now; 9am to 9pm from Tuesday through Thursday.

It will be interesting to see how this Boarding Group process works with the later opening and early closing times, before the park returns to an 8am to Midnight operation on Friday through next weekend.
Sometimes you can't re-invent the wheel. Maybe they should have just built a ride with a freaking track like rides are supposed to have so they can have the capacity they need and not have all this drama. seriously WDI, WHATS wrong with a track ride now and then? look at Indy? its amazing and immersive and no one has ever complained it is on a track.

jrayfarm

I still have my Disneyland Pogs from Disneyland‘a “Go Pog Wild And Rollerblade Crazy!” Spring Break promotion from 1995.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom