Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance opening reports and using Boarding Groups at Disneyland

mickEblu

I was told that the current canons B mode is permanent, as that segment was resulting in backups and the attraction going down.

This is apparently the permanent mode for the canons now, on both coasts.

Like officially permanent? They aren’t going to even try to fix them? I’m glad at least one of them is working. It makes a big difference.

Phroobar

Like officially permanent? They aren’t going to even try to fix them? I’m glad at least one of them is working. It makes a big difference.
It makes me wonder how difficult it is to fix them. Is that effect so complex that maintenance doesn't have to ability or time to figure it out? Why did the imagineers create a system that so expensive and prone to breakdowns that it can't keep operating day in and out for years? Couldn't they spent time making the system more reliable instead of coming up with breakdown modes instead? How hard is it to make a set piece roll back and forth? Mechanically it can't be that complex.

waltography

It makes me wonder how difficult it is to fix them. Is that effect so complex that maintenance doesn't have to ability or time to figure it out? Why did the imagineers create a system that so expensive and prone to breakdowns that it can't keep operating day in and out for years? Couldn't they spent time making the system more reliable instead of coming up with breakdown modes instead? How hard is it to make a set piece roll back and forth? Mechanically it can't be that complex.
I don't think it's the set piece itself so much as the safety mechanisms they have in place to make sure the cannons don't hit ride vehicles. I suspect they're probably trigger happy, and if a cannon is even a hair too close to the vehicle than expected it'll trigger an e-stop. Fully agree that Rise needs a proper months-long refurb rather than the haphazard maintenance bandaids they've been doing at night.

Phroobar

I would assume most of the ride is run on photo sensors. If the cannons are at blocking one, then the cars are told to stop. Same the other way. It's the same tech used everywhere else. However, it's probably so overly engineered that every object is it own gps device and everything has to report position and respond within time limits that if a rat ran across the floor, the whole place would shut down.

gerarar

Premium Member
If true, that news about the canons is such a bummer. This ride is the new Indiana Jones Adventure; if an effect malfunctions, the scene is ruined.

What also hurts this ride is lack of enthusiasm (and perhaps acting talent...) on the part of CMs. My sense is that it's deeply unpopular to criticize CMs for any reason, especially during the covid era when the park is short-staffed and CMs are overworked. However, the storytelling and pacing of Rise require CMs to deliver some at-least-halfway-decent acting performances; if they don't, the ride experience is significantly diminished IMO. Perhaps the blame really lies with the Imagineers, who designed the attraction this way. Either way, the net result is the same.

I did Rise in February 2020 and it was clear the CMs were excited to be part of something new and huge and groundbreaking. So much energy as CMs hurried all of us "recruits" from the Rey hologram cave into Lt. Bek's ship, or when they broke us out of Adam Driver's interrogation room ("Looks like you got more than you signed up for! We're gettin' you out of here!"). Cheesy, but fun.

I went in December 2021 and the difference was night and day. It feels almost tedious to walk from preshow to preshow when CMs are only minimally participating in the experience. It's cringe-inducing when Lt. Bek's ship is boarded by a 19 year-old who looks exhausted and just completely over it. And it's awkward when the rebels who save you from the interrogation room never greet you or look you in the eye, but rather shout safety instructions as loud and monotone as they can and then berate someone's grandpa for failing to pull on the dirty yellow strap.

This turned into a rant. Maybe I'm cynical. I don't know. But the ride feels like it's already in decline, which is such a bummer. I really don't blame the CMs -- I wouldn't want these gigs either. But the attraction inherently relies upon CM enthusiasm.

The highlight of my Dec 2021 ride was when, following the Rey/BB8 preshow, all of us recruits stepped outside to board Lt. Bek's ship and were greeted by some Batuu rebels as well as... I kid you not, a CM dressed in Main Street U.S.A plaid. Not sure how or why this would ever happen, but it did. She was standing and chatting with one of the Batuu people. Disney used to be better than this, right?
That's sad to hear about CM participation. I rode on 3 separate occasions over at HS/WDW during this last Christmas and all the CMs I interacted with were full of energy to get us on the ITS, exit the ITS and prepare for interrogations, and break us out.

My favorite part has always been when First Order CMs question you or play the staring game. They asked us about our colors without looking down, and they would always have a great response when someone forgets, take too long, etc.

The only time the rebel/FO CMs changed their attitudes/role was when the ride went down to give us updates, ask us if we're fine, need to temporarily exit to use the bathroom.

Some stuff definitely have changed since I Iast rode in Dec 2019. They don't let you spend too much time in the hanger. Also loading is much quicker/less buffer before ride starts, but I guess thats due to the fact the ops has improved since opening.

Sailor310

That's sad to hear about CM participation. I rode on 3 separate occasions over at HS/WDW during this last Christmas and all the CMs I interacted with were full of energy to get us on the ITS, exit the ITS and prepare for interrogations, and break us out.

My favorite part has always been when First Order CMs question you or play the staring game. They asked us about our colors without looking down, and they would always have a great response when someone forgets, take too long, etc.

The only time the rebel/FO CMs changed their attitudes/role was when the ride went down to give us updates, ask us if we're fine, need to temporarily exit to use the bathroom.

Some stuff definitely have changed since I Iast rode in Dec 2019. They don't let you spend too much time in the hanger. Also loading is much quicker/less buffer before ride starts, but I guess thats due to the fact the ops has improved since opening.
I miss not having some more time to just stand and absorb everything in the hangar. I've been 4 times, but I'd still like to look around awhile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom