Star Wars Races 2020 - Caribbean Beach or Swan & Dolphin?

GeekByExample

Original Poster
It seems like prices for Caribbean Beach and Swan & Dolphin are pretty similar over Star Wars race weekend. I'll be taking my three kids 5-10years old who love swimming at the pool- so I had originally considered staying at Caribbean Beach for the first time since that sounds like a fun pool. On the other hand Swan seems like a nicer property with much better transportation options to the parks.

Appreciate any thoughts on comparing the pool & park transportation options at Caribbean versus Sawn & Dolphin!

DisneyOutsider

It seems like prices for Caribbean Beach and Swan & Dolphin are pretty similar over Star Wars race weekend. I'll be taking my three kids 5-10years old who love swimming at the pool- so I had originally considered staying at Caribbean Beach for the first time since that sounds like a fun pool. On the other hand Swan seems like a nicer property with much better transportation options to the parks.

Appreciate any thoughts on comparing the pool & park transportation options at Caribbean versus Sawn & Dolphin!

From a pure accommodations standpoint, the Swan and Dolphin rooms are comparable to what you would find at a Deluxe resort run by Disney. I'd choose S&D rooms, amenities and service over Caribbean no question.

The Swan and Dolphin hotel share one pool area, and it's pretty nice. Adequate pool bar, pool games, etc. Nice theming. It's been at least a decade since I've stepped foot by the Caribbean resort pool, so I couldn't give you a good comparison.

As far as transportation, the Skyliner will be flipping this comparison on it's head. Caribbean will be a very short gondola ride from DHS and a slightly longer, but still very convenient ride from away from Epcot.

Both Epcot and DHS are walkable from Swan & Dolphin, and of course the Boardwalk is right next to the hotel, but you won't get much utility, if any, from the gondolas staying at Swan & Dolphin. If you like the idea of not having to rely on Disney to get to/from those parks, then this will appeal to you. Bus service from Caribbean vs. Swan & Dolphin is probably about the same. Both use the official Disney buses.

Dave B

Just remember the Swan and Dolphin have a resort fee of $31/day so add that to the price, we have enjoyed the pool at the Caribbean but since the remodel we are not fans of that resort, we have never stayed at S&D, not our vibe

DisneyOutsider

S&D feels cramped and theres something undisney about The pool.

ITS Also The furthest away from Epcot of The boardwalk hotels and not really close to DHs either.
It's really close to both parks. 15-20 minute walk to Hollywood Studios (or a nice and quick boat ride if you prefer).. closer to 12 minutes Walk to Epcot.

yaksplat

Our room in the Swan was extremely cramped. The bathroom was insanely tight. You had to step into the tub to close the door. The door nearly hit the toilet and did touch the tub, so you couldn't even swing it all the way in.

Fees, fees and more fees. Fees on food even.

I'd never go back.

Hockey89

Bc of location, I would pick SD... Easy walk to two parks. Are the rooms great? No.... I stayed at Caribbean Beach when I was little and not my favorite spot....

Mickey5150

When staying at Caribbean Beach always request a corner room and enjoy having 2 windows. It really changes the experience for the better.

HouCuseChickie

We stayed at the Swan last trip. I liked it, but right now, I am booked at CBR for Marathon week 2020. I've never stayed at CBR before, but after staying at the Swan, I decided I prefer the Disney resorts. Sure, the Swan's location was on par with the Disney deluxe resorts in that area, the beds were very comfy, the room and bathroom were noticeably larger than what I had at POR (should be similar size to CBR), and we had a great view......BUT we missed certain things with staying at the Disney resorts. In fact, the biggest thing we missed was using our Magic Bands for everything. When we stayed at the Swan, we actually wound up driving a lot of the time. We found buses to be sort of hit or miss...at the most bizarre times. I remember waiting forever for a bus one morning, so the next day, we opted to drive since we'd be trying to make 7am EMH...just to have a bus pull up in a timely manner. Similar thing happened to my parents. Also, if you're planning on running the races, from what I've been reading, the race buses only go from the Disney resorts. So, you'd be walking to YC or BWI for race transportation. Not that it's a huge walk, but I'm not sure I want to add extra time on when I'm already leaving in the middle of the night. That's another reason I skipped the Swan for my upcoming trip. Beyond that, I'm curious to see what it's like having the Skyliner.

lawdogNOLA

The CBR is a moderate resort, spread out. There is a "quiet" pool at each of the 5 "Islands", and then there's the big pool. I've never known a kid who hasn't loved this pool, from toddlers to teens. As far as room size, the CBR has the largest rooms of any moderates, averaging 340 square feet. The other moderates average 314 square feet. The CBR was Disney's first attempt at a non-deluxe resort (other than Ft. Wilderness), and they went all out. The CBR has had a recent re-do to all its rooms. The beds are very comfy queens now (save the pirate rooms in Trinidad which are still full-sized beds, IIRC, and those rooms that have a single king size bed. Each room now has a really good 55" Samsung TV. We were last there a year ago, and despite staying at the Beach Club for one night (due to an early arrival due to Tropical Storm Alberto making landfall in the panhandle when we were planning to travel through the panhandle), the rooms at the CBR held up respectably against those of the BC (BC won, of course, and as you would hope, but the difference was much closer than one would expect).

The downside: Due to the exterior doors, and the floor plan with your windows next to the doors, so instead of having the bath area between you and the hall to buffer sound, you don't get that sound barrier at the CBR, which can mean you might hear people walking past louder than you would at the S&D, or at night a frog in the mood for love after a rainy day in the courtyard by your room.

The S&D should be considered a deluxe level, while the CBR is a moderate, so the amenities will vary. My advice: Go on YouTube and search for recent room and resort tours of both resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom