Star Wars Launch Bay coming to Disney's Hollywood Studios later this year

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
When we goto a museum to see a piece... It's because it's the original... With all its flaws... Not because it's the best example of something. You want that history... That "this is the actual item held by so-and-so".

You might as well settle for photos...

Exactly which is why I used The Star Trek experience where they had the props and which episode and who used them as well as the KSC exhibit which had General Chang's chair from 'cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war'

The point of a museum is to make a connection from the creator or user of an object to you. Otherwise I can just look at pix on the web for an experience from the comfort of my own home.

Another example go to any Hard Rock and look at the axes and outfits and when they were last used and where and by whom.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
You skipped this part:
Episode VIII production is probably right around the corner (not to mention any spinoffs).

The Star Trek Experience opened in 1998. Two Star Trek series has already finished up their run and one more only had a year left at the time it opened. Plenty of props they no longer would use by that point in time.

EDIT: I hate I never got out there to see it. Especially Quarks.
It is already underway.

Sorry you missed a really great experience being served by a ferengi bartender was different to say the least. There were a bunch of Klingons as roaming characters in Quarks the rides were pretty good as well combinations of motion simulators and sets. Seeing the Enterprise D on the Strip at the end was amazing along with the TV broadcast which reported a large ufo see over the strip

Also had a full scale version of the bridge of the enterprise

The wife and I nearly got married there. I am kicking myself for never making it out there.

twebber55

Word is The Force Awakens is already over 50 million in ticket sales in the States.
Looks like this is going to be one huge opening.
If the movie is good, it might challenge all time high in America.
Worldwide? China would have to fall in love with it.
where did you see that?
that seems high Ep 3 was only 57 million people total

Ignohippo

Sorry you missed a really great experience being served by a ferengi bartender was different to say the least. There were a bunch of Klingons as roaming characters in Quarks the rides were pretty good as well combinations of motion simulators and sets. Seeing the Enterprise D on the Strip at the end was amazing along with the TV broadcast which reported a large ufo see over the strip

Also had a full scale version of the bridge of the enterprise

The Star Trek Experience was amazing. I was really saddened to see that, when it closed, all of the props were sold off at auction. It was a really fantastic attraction. I'm very surprised they couldn't find someone to buy the thing in its entirety.

They also had a limited version of it on I-Drive a couple of years ago, but I never got a chance to see it.

Ignohippo

Nope. Not even a little. I know exactly how tightly prop and costume departments keep reigns on items that are still part of active productions. Even if there may be dozens of a thing made they are all still one of a kind and in many cases imposable to replace or repair. Replicas cast and finished from the originals are as amazing to look at.

And I hate to break it to people but many props and costumes made for production are not always particularly well made, are incomplete, and many times not that impressive to look at. But replicas made for display are finished with the intent to be scrutinized as a complete item encompassing how something is realized on screen.

First off, there are literally hundreds of Stormtrooper and Resistance costumes made. The idea that they can't spare a half dozen or so for the two parks, is laughable.

Second, no one says they have to be Ep VII props. There is a warehouse at Skywalker Ranch full of props from the other films.

Third, how would you explain the fact that there is currently a large exhibition going on NYC full of costumes and props?
http://www.discoverytsx.com/star-wars-exhibition?gclid=CITv3bCVp8kCFYIaHwoduZcEug
If they can do something like that exhibition, they can certainly pull a few things for the two Launch Bays.

And how would you explain the x-wing on display at the Singapore Airport?

Fact is, unfortunately, as @ford91exploder said, they (a) don't want to pay for it, and (b) think we're all too stupid to notice.

RAXIP

Sign was installed last night.
image.jpeg

Castle Cake Apologist

When we goto a museum to see a piece... It's because it's the original... With all its flaws... Not because it's the best example of something. You want that history... That "this is the actual item held by so-and-so".

You might as well settle for photos...

Not to challenge the narrative here, but many pieces you see in museums are replicas. Too much liability to put the actual artifact where the public is. I'd wager you've never seen an actual dinosaur bone in your life, just plaster casts.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Not to challenge the narrative here, but many pieces you see in museums are replicas. Too much liability to put the actual artifact where the public is. I'd wager you've never seen an actual dinosaur bone in your life, just plaster casts.

Fortunately I can read and comprehend the placards - so I know the difference. So I'd love to take that wager.. we find fossils typically.. not bones.

Phroobar

One of the replica models you will see at Launch Bay is the Tantive IV. If you look really closely at the open viewing port in the front, you will see a Star Wars poster. The original model actually had a Playboy centerfold and a different Star Wars poster inside. You will notice the ship is a completely different color too.

Replica
IMG_20151120_102636_zpsrxfuf2hg.jpg

Real model
StarWars025-vi.jpg

Well it is really Dec. 3rd. I have been receiving more and more new inside info on SWLB and I can see why the date is Dec 3rd. I've also recieved info on FP+ info in regards to fantasy land attractions. However that is for another forum. In regards to SWLB, reasons for the Dec. 3 include just the amount of work left for opening. Out of the things I've been told, what I can say is that yes they've heard and seen the many negative views on DL Version, however they did say that it is planned to be somewhat similar to it. In the Animation Courtyard there will be a E ticket option. That is all I can say right now :)

ToTBellHop

Well it is really Dec. 3rd. I have been receiving more and more new inside info on SWLB and I can see why the date is Dec 3rd. I've also recieved info on FP+ info in regards to fantasy land attractions. However that is for another forum. In regards to SWLB, reasons for the Dec. 3 include just the amount of work left for opening. Out of the things I've been told, what I can say is that yes they've heard and seen the many negative views on DL Version, however they did say that it is planned to be somewhat similar to it. In the Animation Courtyard there will be a E ticket option. That is all I can say right now :)
An "e ticket option" that they built in 6 months? Color me a skeptic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom