Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Ismael Flores

Its weird that they would change something that maybe most people would not notice, lets hope that they are working on maybe adding some droids in the queue area of Falcon. Someone needs to go thru their wherehouses and find old skeletons of older animatronics that can be reskinned and placed throughout the land. Not everything has to be multi-million dollar advanced AA's, they just need to make the land feel more alive.

While they are at it i still think they need to add more stalls around the market area walkways, let the market feel spill out of the large structure into the side walkway. The same way real market places look like.

Old Mouseketeer

Its weird that they would change something that maybe most people would not notice, lets hope that they are working on maybe adding some droids in the queue area of Falcon. Someone needs to go thru their wherehouses and find old skeletons of older animatronics that can be reskinned and placed throughout the land. Not everything has to be multi-million dollar advanced AA's, they just need to make the land feel more alive.

While they are at it i still think they need to add more stalls around the market area walkways, let the market feel spill out of the large structure into the side walkway. The same way real market places look like.

I think it will be interesting to see how they stage the characters. They already have Kylo and the FO Officer on the stage where Kylo's ship is. They have 'troopers on the metal stage over the 'speeder garage and Chewie fixing the ship across from RotR. I wonder if any of the bridges are practical for performers. There is also a balcony over the left side of lightsabers. My friend in Entertainment says they are recalling performers and support for SW:GE, but no indication of what characters will be out. I don't believe they are including Royal Hall or Toontown right now. And no word if there will be an impromptu Cavalcade like WDW.

MagicHappens1971

Or maybe the droids they built to roam around in the land that Chapek cut at the last minute?

pdude81

That would be a big improvement IMO, with or without social distancing. That front area would be fine if it really was just a waiting area for a larger restaurant like the early rumors indicated. But either way it could use some reworking until or unless they are sure that people will be comfortable sharing tables with strangers unmasked.

It looks like there is a nice area they could expand into behind the Cantina if they chose to, but I won't hold my breath waiting.

Jones14

John Williams likely had a hand in limiting the amount of music in the land. He’s known for keeping things surprisingly sparse (even in Star Wars) so that the music that is there is more purposeful and impactful.

Steven Spielberg even pointed out the pattern when presenting an award to him a few years back, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was the one who made that call (or suggested it, etc) during the land’s development.

Movielover

John Williams likely had a hand in limiting the amount of music in the land. He’s known for keeping things surprisingly sparse (even in Star Wars) so that the music that is there is more purposeful and impactful.

Steven Spielberg even pointed out the pattern when presenting an award to him a few years back, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he was the one who made that call (or suggested it, etc) during the land’s development.

I would probably lean more towards the Imagineers than Williams considering his music is all over The Wizarding World, including his cut Diagon Ally score from Sorcerer's Stone which ended up only in the post credit scene of Chamber of Secrets.

Jones14

I would probably lean more towards the Imagineers than Williams considering his music is all over The Wizarding World, including his cut Diagon Ally score from Sorcerer's Stone which ended up only in the post credit scene of Chamber of Secrets.
The difference, I think, is that Williams didn’t write anything new for the Wizarding World lands, and if I’m remembering correctly it was up to WB at that point as to what and when music could be played in each area.

Galaxy’s Edge features music made/arranged specifically for it, so Williams would’ve been more involved with the process throughout than he would’ve been for Harry Potter.

Again, it’s total speculation on my part, but the way music ended up in the land feels very in line with the way Williams treats it in his movies, and we know he was around for the development of the project.

Luigi

I read the new Avengers Campus, story-wise, is set in a different timeline so they are not beholden to the MCU continuity.

Why can't they retrofit this concept to Galaxy's Edge to include characters and arcs from every SW era?
Why didn't they do this in the first place?

pdude81

I read the new Avengers Campus, story-wise, is set in a different timeline so they are not beholden to the MCU continuity.

Why can't they retrofit this concept to Galaxy's Edge to include characters and arcs from every SW era?
They would have a hard time finding any timeline where Darth Vader and Kylo Ren are in full gear at the same time. And they chose.... poorly?

MagicHappens1971

I think these are two separate issues, the MCU has a large amount of “main” characters. Star Wars doesn’t necessarily, kind of like the comment above, it would be hard to find a time where Kylo Ren & Darth Vader are in the same place. I’ve gone into it before but, Disney wasn’t going to choose another era of the Star Wars timeline to display in their parks aside from the one they created. We could go on for days, but I think the main reason the marvel park additions are not in universe because it’s not that simple. There are currently 25 and counting entries to the MCU. Star Wars has the 9 movies, the clone wars, the mandalorian and now Bad Batch. Also this was probably the easiest way to make up different stories for different coasts without affecting the MCU timeline, unlike Star Wars, where they just duplicated galaxy’s edge on both coasts. I would also assume they won’t add any Star Wars anywhere else without it just being a carbon copy of Galaxy’s Edge.

RSoxNo1

I think this is a problem that a 3rd attraction would have to tackle. I'm far from an expert in Star Wars cannon, but enough prominent individuals have passed through Batuu including Queen Amedalia and Anakin.

Muddling the timeline is certainly an option, but Rise of the Resistance isn't going to get a substantial enough change to deviate from the current timeline. Smugglers Run on the other hand can help muddle that timeline, and I can't imagine that's going to bother the majority of guests. There's something to be said about cohesion in a themed land, and it's possible they painted themselves into a corner as a result of the timeline.

Alternatively, if they feel that Batuu is now just a place where all members of the Star Wars universe have passed through at one point or another, you can really play that up with simple scheduling of character appearances. Kylo shouldn't be out at the same time as Vader, but someone like Chewey can be out with less regulations.

J4546

maybe they could just rotate cast? so one month its darth vader and chewie, and another month its kylo and ren, and another month its jar jar and jar jar, etc

Movielover

Speaking of total-immersion:

OK I say this as a fan of GE, but yeah this aspect did not work at all. Universal pulled this off because in the Wizarding World a bathroom is still called a bathroom, money is still called money, etc. There the Team Members are the ones that don't understand what something is, a cell phone or other non magic technology, allowing for fun interactions with guests. Here they put too much faith in people to grasp these entirely different descriptive words for places and objects. While I understand what these things are I'm also a massive fan of the franchise and not a representative of the general public, especially since a portion of their visitors speak English only as a second language. I will say thought I think they did manage to work in the signs in the land well with the Aurebesh looking English letters.

999th Happy Haunt

Honestly I would really like if the area around Star Tours and Indiana Jones would be minorly rethemed to become something like a Lucasfilm Studios section, where they could pretty much do anything they would want with the Star Wars characters without having to follow a timeline. Keep ST and the Star Wars Weekend style shows and meet and greets there, and all the totally immersive more serious Star Wars stuff inside GE.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom