Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

G00fyDad

Maybe they should have digital menus that only have menu items in Galactic Basic and when you touch the photo of the dish you like it "translates" the Galactic Basic to your native language, Terran. :)

Marlins1

Random thought about the overall lack of enthusiasm for the SW lands on both coasts. Disney is building lands copying the Uni Potter model - few new rides and lots of immersion. That worked at Uni because until Potter came along they were all ride, no significant immersion. At Disney (and especially HS) the rides are needed because Disney parks are already loaded with immersion. Seems like a land that opened with one simulator is pretty much drawing yawns.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
This may have already been posted, but the tables and seating have been replaced with something more on theme.

EA9C6C0B-6623-4DDE-8AD1-EECA96B9237D.jpeg
59ED09E4-277B-4D98-8DB0-8087AB388CD2.jpeg
01B4642E-6E1E-411A-AA17-6364A8B98672.jpeg

Mike S

That's two more characters worth caring about than you can meet at WWoHP.
I normally don’t care about meeting characters at all. If you want to go this way though in the main ride we see Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Even Dumbledore who was dead in the movies when the ride opened. The main heroes of the franchise people grew up with and love. Not Newt Scamander from the new movies ;)

999th Happy Haunt

I normally don’t care about meeting characters at all. If you want to go this way though in the main ride we see Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Even Dumbledore who was dead in the movies when the ride opened. The main heroes of the franchise people grew up with and love. Not Newt Scamander from the new movies ;)
Rise is going to feature Rey, Ren, Hux, Finn, Poe, and BB-8, the main heroes of the franchise that the current generation of kids is growing up with.

SpoiledBlueMilk

One thing I will say is that if you are building a land this large, you almost have to have free roaming characters and droids - more than they already have. The land is incredibly themed, but it feels empty at times. Dok Ondar’s is great, but due to the amazing AA. When I was walking around the outside, I was like, something is missing. Not enough interactivity, and I know that they are striving for full on realistic immersion, but not having music somewhere in the background kinda stinks. Even in Pandora the one area has music playing.

Overall you have to laud the Imagineers for the theming and scale of everything. But I guess we can thank Chapek for the empty feeling you get at times walking around this expansive addition to DHS.

Yes, there have been reductions in performance characters and live entertainment thanks to Bob "our cast members are entertainment" Chapek, but let's not forget the hell the free-roaming droids went through in Tomorrowland during that brief test a year or two back. Kids were hitting, crawling and pushing the things while their parents stood around like slack jawed yokels gawking at their precious little demons destroying our chances of having free roaming droids at Galaxy's Edge.

Imagineers come up with amazing ideas, full of life and interaction and they should be lauded for it. Then the real world slaps it out of their hands because people - not all, but many - can't have nice things. For every person who would say "awesome, look at that droid just meandering down the street," there are three who would say "hey look at that droid. Bet I can push it into that wall."

If Galaxy's Edge feels empty, the blame is 70/30 - 70% Chapek and the other 30%? Look in the mirror, humanity.

Darth Snips

I was under the impression that it wasn't cancelled but that space was built to add a store in the future.
I mean, that makes more sense to me. I'm aware that GE experienced budget cuts, but most of them seem to have happened in the later stages and were related to things like atmosphere, walk-around characters, and live stunt shows. It seems like an entire gift shop being removed from the project so late in construction would be rather unlikely.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Random thought about the overall lack of enthusiasm for the SW lands on both coasts. Disney is building lands copying the Uni Potter model - few new rides and lots of immersion. That worked at Uni because until Potter came along they were all ride, no significant immersion.

Disagree. IOA specifically had plenty of immersion before Harry Potter, and Universal Studios had arguably the same amount as DHS

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom