Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

MrPromey

I don't agree with them lifting the no costumes rule at all.
Too many potential problems with this one.
Time Square costume characters come to mind.
Yes Disney will never be Times Square, but people it's not good.

You don't want guests confusing other guests with cast members - plain and simple - and with 501st's level of costume design, you'd have guests with better costumes than Disney's own folks which would become a problem, fast.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

You don't want guests confusing other guests with cast members - plain and simple - and with 501st level of costume design, you'd have guests with better costumes than Disney's own folks which would become a problem, fast.
It's not as hard to tell people who work at costumed events from those attending who are wearing costumes as people think.

Incomudro

I'm talking strictly for Galaxy's Edge. People don't want to dress like Cinderella or Mickey Mouse to visit a Star Wars land. And if quality is the concern...check out some of the costumes people make for Comic-Con and ren-faires - some of them are Hollywood quality. My husband knows someone who built a functioning Davy Jones mask - the tentacles move independently of one another - it's amazing.

Disney promised an immersive land. Part of feeling immersion is being able to dress up. Sure, there are varying levels of quality, but if they upped their costume offerings to include a wide price range, rented costumes as well, and actually allowed guests to wear them, I think we'd see a much different Batuu than the one we're seeing now. (And I would bet $50 that 90% or more of the costumes would be better quality than the robes they put on the kids for Jedi Training.)

I understand.
I believe the potential for things to get out of Disney's control is something Disney would like to avoid.
Some kid interacts with some person in a costume that said kid thinks is a Disney character - but that character is just some schmuck from who know where?
I wouldn't want to risk that if I were Disney.

MrPromey

I'm talking strictly for Galaxy's Edge. People don't want to dress like Cinderella or Mickey Mouse to visit a Star Wars land. And if quality is the concern...check out some of the costumes people make for Comic-Con and ren-faires - some of them are Hollywood quality. My husband knows someone who built a functioning Davy Jones mask - the tentacles move independently of one another - it's amazing.

Disney promised an immersive land. Part of feeling immersion is being able to dress up. Sure, there are varying levels of quality, but if they upped their costume offerings to include a wide price range, rented costumes as well, and actually allowed guests to wear them, I think we'd see a much different Batuu than the one we're seeing now. (And I would bet $50 that 90% or more of the costumes would be better quality than the robes they put on the kids for Jedi Training.)

I get what you're saying but that's kind of part of the problem.

Doesn't matter how in-character he is or how good of a costume that convicted sexual predator is wearing, I really don't want him putting an arm around my child while I go to take a picture.

This is of course, a potential issue anywhere, including at ren-fairs and cons but at least in those environments, it's clear that most of these other people are all just others that have paid for admission like you. At WDW, that wouldn't be apparent.

Last edited:

MrPromey

It's not as hard to tell people who work at costumed events from those attending who are wearing costumes as people think.

In the case of Star Wars, you have members of the 501st (costume screen accuracy is a requirement) making and wearing stuff Disney can't because of OSHA laws and worker unions, though.* They've gotten around this little problem in the past by working with 501st for some parade-like events where they bring these people in with free park tickets instead of money but in those instances, Disney was still in control of the people in costume.

If they were to make it a free-for-all, they wouldn't be in control and I could see that creating issues.

*by which I mean most cast would refuse to get into or wear for any amount of time, some of these costumes for walk-around due to safety/discomfort.

nickys

Premium Member

I think you mean Star Wars fans don’t want other people to dress like Cinderella or Minnie Mouse.

But if the family is going to DHS and look at SW:GE, little Chloe would be quite happy to go dressed as Moana. And even more problematic for Disney is that little Jake would quite happily wear his Spider-Man costume.

RobWDW1971

Didn’t Iger use the word “preview” when he said the land would open early?

If so, technically we are still in a preview.

I have faith by Rise opening we might see a bolstering of entertainment and life on this planet.

Doesn't matter what Iger said, they marketed it as "Star Wars Land Now Open" on TV, radio, billboards and charged full rip. Spinning after the fact that "never mind, that was just an out of town tryout" is even worse.

I don't see an asterisk after "Now Open"
B8CCF2DD-0E9B-4D26-9023-A671FC48EFA0.jpeg

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

I understand.
I believe the potential for things to get out of Disney's control is something Disney would like to avoid.
Some kid interacts with some person in a costume that said kid thinks is a Disney character - but that character is just some schmuck from who know where?
I wouldn't want to risk that if I were Disney.

I don't know, I interacted with some pretty surly Oga's hostesses ;)

ImperfectPixie

I think you mean Star Wars fans don’t want other people to dress like Cinderella or Minnie Mouse.

But if the family is going to DHS and look at SW:GE, little Chloe would be quite happy to go dressed as Moana. And even more problematic for Disney is that little Jake would quite happily wear his Spider-Man costume.
That's not what I'm saying at all, actually.

What I'm saying is part of the reason people aren't flocking to Batuu like Disney thought they would is because they removed a huge part of what makes immersion fun to begin with - the ability to wear costumes and literally be someone else for a day.

WDW Guru

The sad part is they don't even have to hire actors to be the aliens - just lift the ridiculous no costumes rule. People spend huge amounts of time creating their own costumes for Comic-Con...they would for Batuu, too, if Disney let them.

You cannot compare a ren-faire or comic-con to SWGE. SWGE is part of a multi billion dollar theme park that doesn't and will never in this day in age allow their adult guests to dress up in character. It is a liability for many reasons and even though you may think it "ruins the immersion" to see Chuck and Mary letting their kids run around on Batuu, it is still just a land in a theme park. If you want the ultra immersion that you are seeking, the Star Wars Hotel will fill that need for you.

nickys

Premium Member

What I'm saying is part of the reason people aren't flocking to Batuu like Disney thought they would is because they removed a huge part of what makes immersion fun to begin with - the ability to wear costumes and literally be someone else for a day.

Sorry, misunderstood your post.

I agree this could well be true. Certainly one thing that really is fun about HP at Universal is seeing all the wizards with their wands, and trying to work out if the spell casting is similar to MK’s Sword in the Stone, or genuinely down to the skill of the wizard. It adds so much to the ambience of the Lands there.

RobWDW1971

You cannot compare a ren-faire or comic-con to SWGE. SWGE is part of a multi billion dollar theme park that doesn't and will never in this day in age allow their adult guests to dress up in character. It is a liability for many reasons and even though you may think it "ruins the immersion" to see Chuck and Mary letting their kids run around on Batuu, it is still just a land in a theme park. If you want the ultra immersion that you are seeking, the Star Wars Hotel will fill that need for you.

I agree with both of you, which is why WDI's wholly misguided attempt at "immersion" was such a fundamental error.

MrPromey

While I think what you're suggesting is problematic, I agree with your premise.

Even if it were as simple as letting people run around in Jedi capes and having cast interact differently with those people who have chosen to be "in character" it would be a huge step closer to what they claimed they were going to offer.

But frankly, aliens and cast that aren't in pristine looking uniform-costumes would also be a huge step in that direction.

I can understand there may be some crowd-control issues but it isn't like WDW hasn't pulled this sort of thing off before.

I mean man, where's a talking, moving trash can when you need one? :bored:

hqdefault.jpg

epbots.jpg

55a8bc_8712db818728442ebf360418b89fae1e~mv2.jpg
CTDTR74795986.jpg
ctr892316LARGE.jpg
cf3a86d5e02280fc619ac0fbc52eedcf.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Even something like a re-themed Mr. Potato head or Pirates of the Caribbean parrot "barker" or a droid like the ones you see in line for Star Tours would work - and that's all proven tech.

Heck, in our warehouse, my employer has automated robots that roll across the floor using technology similar to the trackless ride system and those interact with people all day long. They stop and start constantly to make sure they're not running over anyone and they are large industrial things carrying literally a ton or more of weight and they've been at it for more than a decade. (and it isn't like Disney would need to have something like this moving around people - have them "servicing" some of those space craft behind barriers in an endless loop to make 'em look less like set pieces and more like actual working vehicles).

It isn't like any of this stuff is new or exotic or even crazy-expensive tech and when the theme is a "droid" to begin with, you don't have to do a ton to spice it up. I mean, those Star Wars droids in the queue checking luggage were originally birds from America Sings like the ones in Splash mountain but without the costume, right?

Bet they've got a closet full of animatronics left over from the Mickey Mouse Review they could just peel the skin right off of and be ready to go with a few LEDs and extra plastic/metal pieces bolted on.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

You cannot compare a ren-faire or comic-con to SWGE. SWGE is part of a multi billion dollar theme park that doesn't and will never in this day in age allow their adult guests to dress up in character. It is a liability for many reasons and even though you may think it "ruins the immersion" to see Chuck and Mary letting their kids run around on Batuu, it is still just a theme park. If you want the ultra immersion that you are seeking, the Star Wars Hotel will fill that need for you.
If you'd read some of my other posts on this topic, you'd see that duplicate characters and people not in costume aren't a complaint or a worry at Comic-Con or ren-faires - or for me. Part of why people aren't flocking to Batuu is because costumes for adults are completely disallowed. In fact, I worry that the Star Wars resort is going to be an even bigger bust than Batuu has because my understanding is that Disney is providing costumes for guests and expecting them to follow strict story lines - and that's the exact opposite of what people who are into this sort of thing want.

If Disney never intended on allowing costumes in Batuu, then they should never have used the word "immersion" or used "becoming part of the story" for promoting the land.

RobWDW1971

While I think what you're suggesting is problematic, I agree with your premise.

Even if it were as simple as letting people run around in Jedi capes and having cast interact differently with those people who have chosen to be "in character" it would be a huge step closer to what they claimed they were going to offer.

But frankly, aliens and cast that aren't in pristine looking uniform-costumes would also be a huge step in that direction.

I can understand there may be some crowd-control issues but it isn't like WDW hasn't pulled this sort of thing off before.

I mean man, where's a talking, moving trash can when you need one? :bored:

hqdefault.jpg

epbots.jpg

55a8bc_8712db818728442ebf360418b89fae1e~mv2.jpg
CTDTR74795986.jpg
ctr892316LARGE.jpg
cf3a86d5e02280fc619ac0fbc52eedcf.jpg

Even something like a re-themed Mr. Potato head or Pirates of the Caribbean parrot "barker" or a droid like the ones you see in line for Star Tours would work - and that's all proven tech.

Heck, in our warehouse, my employer has automated robots that roll across the floor using technology similar to the trackless ride system and those interact with people all day long. They stop and start constantly to make sure they're not running over anyone and they are large industrial things carrying literally a ton or more of weight and they've been at it for more than a decade. (and it isn't like Disney would need to have something like this moving around people - have them "servicing" some of those space craft behind barriers in an endless loop to make 'em look less like set pieces and more like actual working vehicles).

It isn't like any of this stuff is new or exotic or even crazy-expensive tech and when the theme is a "droid" to begin with, you don't have to do a ton to spice it up. I mean, those Star Wars droids in the queue checking luggage were originally birds from America Sings like the ones in Splash mountain but without the costume, right?

Bet they've got a closet full of animatronics left over from the Mickey Mouse Review they could just peel the skin right off of and be ready to go with a few LEDs and extra plastic/metal pieces bolted on.

Even just a Droid version of the Transformers meet and greet like they have at Universal would be something.

What it just comes down to is they didn't even try. They thought having a full size MF would be enough. It wasn't.

Sometimes I just have to say out loud that we now have a billion dollar "Star Wars Land" where you are NOT welcomed by C3PO and R2D2. Mind-boggling, really.

(Not including the R2D2 remote control Droid for sale in back of shop operated by an union merch employee. The level of rationalization on this board knows no bounds).

WDW Guru

If you'd read some of my other posts on this topic, you'd see that duplicate characters and people not in costume aren't a complaint or a worry at Comic-Con or ren-faires - or for me. Part of why people aren't flocking to Batuu is because costumes for adults are completely disallowed. In fact, I worry that the Star Wars resort is going to be an even bigger bust than Batuu has because my understanding is that Disney is providing costumes for guests and expecting them to follow strict story lines - and that's the exact opposite of what people who are into this sort of thing want.

If Disney never intended on allowing costumes in Batuu, then they should never have used the word "immersion" or used "becoming part of the story" for promoting the land.

I guess Disney shouldn't have used the word immersion at all when promoting Cars Land since I cant wear my Cars themed Halloween costume.

Immersion is a very subjective word in what it can mean but there always limits to where it can go beyond reality. Cars Land, WWoHP, Pandora, and Harambe are all excellent examples of what great immersion in theme park lands looks like. If you were expecting SWGE to let you dress up then you were a fool. They banned costumes years ago yet you expected them to lift it for SWGE? You also will be able to become part of the story by riding in the Millennium Falcon or by partaking in a battle with RotR.

Now this isn't to say there aren't faults in the design of the land. The roaming droids would've been excellent for the immersion along with the aliens. Same with the never built Bantha attraction.

Also I wont comment on the Star Wars Hotel since were still yet to see the execution on that.

RobWDW1971

I guess Disney shouldn't have used the word immersion at all when promoting Cars Land since I cant wear my Cars themed Halloween costume.

Immersion is a very subjective word in what it can mean but there always limits to where it can go beyond reality. Cars Land, WWoHP, Pandora, and Harambe are all excellent examples of what great immersion in theme park lands looks like. If you were expecting SWGE to let you dress up then you were a fool. They banned costumes years ago yet you expected them to lift it for SWGE? You also will be able to become part of the story by riding in the Millennium Falcon or by partaking in a battle with RotR.

Now this isn't to say there aren't faults in the design of the land. The roaming droids would've been excellent for the immersion along with the aliens. Same with the never built Bantha attraction.

Also I wont comment on the Star Wars Hotel since were still yet to see the execution on that.

Did I miss Disney saying that Cars Land would redefine the theme park experience by creating an immersive experience where I could live my Cars dreams? Can't say I ever heard anybody talk about Cars Land being a game changer or that I was going to feel immersed in the land beyond any other theme park land. If they sold it that way, I just must have missed it.

(Oh, and I feel much more immersed in Cars Land than the abandoned movie set of SWGE)

Last edited:

MrPromey

Did I miss Disney saying that Cars Land would redefine the theme park experience by creating an immersive experience where I could live my Cars dreams? Can't say I ever heard anybody talk about Cars Land being a game changer or that I was going to feel immersed in the land beyond any other theme park land. If they sold it that way, I just must have missed it.

(Oh, and I feel much more immersed in Cars Land than the creative failure of SWGE)

To me, SWGE had a mometary "wow" moment when we first walked into the area with the Millennium Falcon. It really did and does look cool but after a few pictures, you come to realize it's basically a glorified pretend backlot much like what it partially replaced - only now with a scifi theme.

It's a very well done pretend backlot but that's still basically what it is and it feels like if this is all they were going to do with it, they could have given us the two rides and saved a lot of that space (and money) for other themes and attractions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom