Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

matt9112

I understand that splitting the openings of Falcon and Rise of the Resistance was done in hopes of generating park traffic earlier. It clearly didn't work and now the pressure is really on Rise of the Resistance to open flawlessly and as the best attraction in the world.

I hope so. The falcon is so meh.
As an aside to the curious parks are now more normal seasonal crowd levels. Aka light but no longer dead.
Our first two two days (thurs and fri) were legit dead. I have never seen the parks so empty consistently like that as an adult. Even food and wine was great to get around. Saturday had crowds pick up and normalish lines return. However it wasnt until yesterday where wait times seemed fo be much more normal in MK.

matt9112

Looks like Disney has decided enough is enough:

Its so laughable....how do we fix our product. Advertise it across everything we own for a week! Make there eyes bleed star wars.

MrPromey

Its so laughable....how do we fix our product. Advertise it across everything we own for a week! Make there eyes bleed star wars.

And you were expecting what? A free cupcake? ;)

In all seriousness, Star Wars Land does not explain weak attendance across both US resorts.

Prices that may have finally started out-stripping demand could but there is no easy immediate fix for that. Last thing they want to do is lower prices and there's only so many creative ways to bundle discounts without it being obvious that they are acknowledging a problem.

What I don't get is why they aren't proudly trumpeting how their efforts to thin out attendance and create a more enjoyable experience for all those higher spend guests is finally working. I mean, that's what all this pricing was about, right? Redusing crowds, right? Right? :hilarious:

Incomudro

In all seriousness, Star Wars Land does not explain weak attendance across both US resorts.

Prices that may have finally started out-stripping demand could but there is no easy immediate fix for that. Last thing they want to do is lower prices and there's only so many creative ways to bundle discounts without it being obvious that they are acknowledging a problem.

What I don't get is why they aren't proudly trumpeting how their efforts to thin out attendance and create a more enjoyable experience for all those higher spend guests is finally working. I mean, that's what all this pricing was about, right? Redusing crowds, right? Right? :hilarious:

Frankly, I'm hoping that when I go to Galaxy's Edge in WDW in April that it still won't be crowded.
That's wishful thinking, since RotR will be open by then.
In any event, when it comes to increasing the publics interest in GE - Disney ought to focus on adding in more of what they claimed would be there in the first place - streetmosphere - than on upping the advertising.

Last edited:

mdcpr

This is so sad, so desperate instead of just waiting for the land to be completed and then really launch an actual marketing plan.

doctornick

Except perhaps unintentionally if people were deferring trips they otherwise would have taken due to either (1) fear of large crowds at GE opening or (2) wanting to have the full SW experience and waiting up

I thought some have indicated that 2020 spring booking are very strong at this point, which could suggest these are playing a role. I know my family has been planning a 2020 trip for a while because we wanted to wait until the SW hype and business died down before we went. Seems like we may have miscalculated. :confused:

I still think this is the biggest factor of all, especially the huge jumps in AP prices.

This is so sad, so desperate instead of just waiting for the land to be completed and then really launch an actual marketing plan.

Agree - why not make the push closer to the opening of RotR. And, while they are at it, try to make that a splashy "full" grand opening by actually including some droids/aliens and streetmosphere.

Dan Deesnee

A media blitz only works if people that HAVE been to the land love it, and the people you are advertising to can afford it.

In not sure this will do anything substantial for attendance. It won't hurt though and if those people they are advertising to don't visit till next year maybe thats enough time to add a show, some fire works, and more recognizable characters.

ImperfectPixie

Disney created a Star Wars version of a renaissance faire with one ride, then "Sheldonized" it with too-strict a story/time-line, too many rules, and not enough entertainment or spontaneity. Hubby and I have been attending ren-faires for decades, and most of the fun is being dressed up and interacting with the people who work there and the other fans, and the entertainment. It's very common for us to drop a small fortune on merchandise and more costume/weaponry pieces when we go...and there's stuff we've purchased over the years all over our house. No one gives two nickels if they see two King Arthurs or two William Wallaces at a ren-faire (or Darth Vader or Captain Kirk at Comic-Con)...they just want to get dressed up and have fun being entertained while they knowingly over-pay for merchandise, food and drink.

ETA: This is why I think Batuu isn't the grand-slam success Disney thought it would be. They promised immersion...but curtailed it in all the wrong places and locked-in too hard in the others.

Last edited:

camman007

I think a large problem was the expectations of the land. I remember initially Disney said you would feel the effects of your choices on said rides. Unless this is implemented later with RotR, I haven't seen any mention of this at all. Also, when I first heard a Star Wars land coming to fruition, one of the first things I imagined was a Cantina scene akin to what we saw in New Hope or at the very least a wide range of alien species roaming around so you truly FEEL like you're in the Star Wars universe. I think part of works so well in the Harry potter lands is the fact that you FEEL like you're in a wizarding community e.g. guests around you are waving wands around, in school robes, drinking butter beer, etc.

ImperfectPixie

I think a large problem was the expectations of the land. I remember initially Disney said you would feel the effects of your choices on said rides. Unless this is implemented later with RotR, I haven't seen any mention of this at all. Also, when I first heard a Star Wars land coming to fruition, one of the first things I imagined was a Cantina scene akin to what we saw in New Hope or at the very least a wide range of alien species roaming around so you truly FEEL like you're in the Star Wars universe. I think part of works so well in the Harry potter lands is the fact that you FEEL like you're in a wizarding community e.g. guests around you are waving wands around, in school robes, drinking butter beer, etc.
The sad part is they don't even have to hire actors to be the aliens - just lift the ridiculous no costumes rule. People spend huge amounts of time creating their own costumes for Comic-Con...they would for Batuu, too, if Disney let them.

Incomudro

The sad part is they don't even have to hire actors to be the aliens - just lift the ridiculous no costumes rule. People spend huge amounts of time creating their own costumes for Comic-Con...they would for Batuu, too, if Disney let them.

I don't agree with them lifting the no costumes rule at all.
Too many potential problems with this one.
Time Square costume characters come to mind.
Yes Disney will never be Times Square, but people it's not good.

MrPromey

Agree - why not make the push closer to the opening of RotR. And, while they are at it, try to make that a splashy "full" grand opening by actually including some droids/aliens and streetmosphere.

If they'd taken this approach, they could have sort of retroactively spun the itial issues as the results of a sort of "soft opening" and fixed a few thing like stremosphere along with the opening of RotR and kind of played it off like these changes were always coming.

Mickeyboof

If they'd taken this approach, they could have sort of retroactively spun the itial issues as the results of a sort of "soft opening" and fixed a few thing like stremosphere along with the opening of RotR and kind of played it off like these changes were always coming.

Didn’t Iger use the word “preview” when he said the land would open early?

If so, technically we are still in a preview.

I have faith by Rise opening we might see a bolstering of entertainment and life on this planet.

ImperfectPixie

I don't agree with them lifting the no costumes rule at all.
Too many potential problems with this one.
Time Square costume characters come to mind.
Yes Disney will never be Times Square, but people it's not good.
I'm talking strictly for Galaxy's Edge. People don't want to dress like Cinderella or Mickey Mouse to visit a Star Wars land. And if quality is the concern...check out some of the costumes people make for Comic-Con and ren-faires - some of them are Hollywood quality. My husband knows someone who built a functioning Davy Jones mask - the tentacles move independently of one another - it's amazing.

Disney promised an immersive land. Part of feeling immersion is being able to dress up. Sure, there are varying levels of quality, but if they upped their costume offerings to include a wide price range, rented costumes as well, and actually allowed guests to wear them, I think we'd see a much different Batuu than the one we're seeing now. (And I would bet $50 that 90% or more of the costumes would be better quality than the robes they put on the kids for Jedi Training.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom