Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

pdude81

To be fair, this is a new planet so it would make sense to have a new species. Thankfully they had enough sense to at least have Chewy and the Falcon hanging out

rowrbazzle

And we question whether MFSR will have 3 hour waits at DHS. 90 minutes for the world's shortest boat ride to nowhere and 75 minutes for Aliens/Mater? The lines for MFSR are going to be insane.

True, but those waits are with fastpass. If 100% of standby riders were getting through each time instead of 20 or 30%, the wait would be much shorter. I'm sure waits at the Falcon will still be solid, though.

RobWDW1971

True, but those waits are with fastpass. If 100% of standby riders were getting through each time instead of 20 or 30%, the wait would be much shorter. I'm sure waits at the Falcon will still be solid, though.

That's fair. And please God will they have survey takers at the exit so they can find out how great it is to have rides without Fastpass again!

rowrbazzle

That's fair. And please God will they have survey takers at the exit so they can find out how great it is to have rides without Fastpass again!

I'm actually lamenting the lack of fastpasses for these rides. It would make it much simpler and faster for my family to ride (and use parent swap). I understand it will be better for the majority, though, so I really can't complain.

doctornick

When they first announced the land and its details and they talked about the interactive nature, I remember thinking "wow if they can pull it off, that would be a game changer". And if Disney was really going to go all out for something and put their "money where their mouth is", Star Wars certainly seemed like the most likely candidate. So I had a lot of interest and hopes.

Now, I always wondered how it could even work in DL. Okay, you crash the Falcon when you ride. How is random actor CM in the land going to know that and use it to judge you and talk to you? Even if you played an app on your phone, how would that lead to any interactions unless you are actively synching with something in the land? I was curious to see how it would work.

DHS, different story, as magic bands could certainly be used. It would even be kinda subtle and some guests could be surprised how that info is shared. If you swipe the band at stations for the phone app, you can have that game work too (might not even have to actively use the band, as long as the sign in to the app is linked to the same Disney account as the band). Could even have been an opportunity to upsell magic bands with off site guests to get that functionality.

But then the land rolls out and... nothing in DL it seems. Overpromised and underdelivered. Will DHS be different when it officially opens? I doubt it, but here's hoping...

I just don't get why they would make that such a big deal and then just cut it. Disney seems to have consistently suffer with that in modern times where they hype stuff to a degree and then completely lack follow through. Or it just doesn't work as well as promised. But with all the media attention and fan sites (both SW and Disney) following every step of any SW build, how can you say you are going to put things in the land and then just... not.

Last edited:

matt9112

It is Strange.
Cars land was a huge success when it opened with the media. Same with Potter.
Both opened with their respective headline rides.
Galaxy’s Edge didn’t and for the most part is getting crushed by the media.

Maybe there was no surprise because it was so heavily followed on the internet since 2015.

Both of your examples take guests to places they know and love to interact with people and places they know and love....oh wait this is black spire outpost? What......

Bleed0range

A ride would be great, but if capacity issues were part of the problem - just build one of those creatures and have it walk around with cast members riding it.
People would marvel at it.

I suggested this too. Universal has a giant triceratops that walks around and looks very real just to entertain guests around Jurassic World. Why can’t they have a giant bantha? Why on earth did they cut out the aliens? I was very excited by the bounty hunter character.

The entertainment/aliens need to be added back immediately. Wouldn’t hurt to have the drones and droids too. They just thought the public would go for Star Wars because it’s Star Wars.

ParkPeeker

I suggested this too. Universal has a giant triceratops that walks around and looks very real just to entertain guests around Jurassic World. Why can’t they have a giant bantha? Why on earth did they cut out the aliens? I was very excited by the bounty hunter character.

The entertainment/aliens need to be added back immediately. Wouldn’t hurt to have the drones and droids too. They just thought the public would go for Star Wars because it’s Star Wars.
Even though the raptors aren't walking around an open space, those reactions tho.

CinematicFusion

Both of your examples take guests to places they know and love to interact with people and places they know and love....oh wait this is black spire outpost? What......
True, but the other difference is the headline ride opened with those lands and people come for the next great ride... not for shops.
(Unless I’m mistaken and the headline ride didn’t open with cars land)

However to your point, Cars Land is all about the American mythology of Route 66. There is a familiarity about the land, something that taps into our spirit of adventure and freedom.

Bleed0range

True, but the other difference is the headline ride opened with those lands and people come for the next great ride... not for shops.

However to your point, Cars Land is all about the American mythology of Route 66. There is a familiarity about the land, something that taps into our spirit of adventure and freedom.

As someone who didn’t follow Cars Land (as it was being built) and sort of got into WDW parks in a more hardcore fashion after I visited Cars land in 2013...

What truly won me over was how great their E ticket attraction was. RSR blew me away and elevated the land. If it wasn’t for that I don’t think I would have been as impressed. The technology and beauty of it was amazing. Such a great idea to have them race like TT after a dark ride portion.

I rode Luigi’s too and that certainly didn’t impress me as much. I didn’t buy anything in any of the shops and was only somewhat interested in the IP.

Rich Brownn

Went today with a cast member... land is nice but it is dead, as many have pointed out. We did the cantina (yeah, that's a madhouse in there... had the fuzzy tatum or whatever... interesting.. more fun to watch people's reactions to it); rode the Falcon (did suprisingly well, we had a very profitable run), made a droid (R2B1!) who does interact with stuff in the land (that was kinda cool) and had lunch. My friends tried the milk (I'm allergic to coconut so I couldn't) and they said... bleh.

The most telling part was our reservation was from 3-7. We were done and gone by 5.

Hawg G

Went today with a cast member... land is nice but it is dead, as many have pointed out. We did the cantina (yeah, that's a madhouse in there... had the fuzzy tatum or whatever... interesting.. more fun to watch people's reactions to it); rode the Falcon (did suprisingly well, we had a very profitable run), made a droid (R2B1!) who does interact with stuff in the land (that was kinda cool) and had lunch. My friends tried the milk (I'm allergic to coconut so I couldn't) and they said... bleh.

The most telling part was our reservation was from 3-7. We were done and gone by 5.

If the Studios GE flops, some mighty high up Imagineer heads better role.

I'm actually lamenting the lack of fastpasses for these rides. It would make it much simpler and faster for my family to ride (and use parent swap). I understand it will be better for the majority, though, so I really can't complain.

Fastpass has nothing to do with parent swap. It is simply giving resort guests a VIP line for 1 or 2 rides a day, at the cost of long lines for everything else

Hawg G

When they first announced the land and its details and they talked about the interactive nature, I remember thinking "wow if they can pull it off, that would be a game changer". And if Disney was really going to go all out for something and put their "money where their mouth is", Star Wars certainly seemed like the most likely candidate. So I had a lot of interest and hopes.

Now, I always wondered how it could even work in DL. Okay, you crash the Falcon when you ride. How is random actor CM in the land going to know that and use it to judge you and talk to you? Even if you played an app on your phone, how would that lead to any interactions unless you are actively synching with something in the land? I was curious to see how it would work.

DHS, different story, as magic bands could certainly be used. It would even be kinda subtle and some guests could be surprised how that info is shared. If you swipe the band at stations for the phone app, you can have that game work too (might not even have to actively use the band, as long as the sign in to the app is linked to the same Disney account as the band). Could even have been an opportunity to upsell magic bands with off site guests to get that functionality.

But then the land rolls out and... nothing in DL it seems. Overpromised and underdelivered. Will DHS be different when it officially opens? I doubt it, but here's hoping...

I just don't get why they would make that such a big deal and then just cut it. Disney seems to have consistently suffer with that in modern times where they hype stuff to a degree and then completely lack follow through. Or it just doesn't work as well as promised. But with all the media attention and fan sites (both SW and Disney) following every step of any SW build, how can you say you are going to put things in the land and then just... not.

The interactive parts they were suggesting were essentially undoable anyway. You really thought they were going to do personal interactions with 20,000 guests each day?

matt9112

It literally features places from the movie. Like flos. Its not successful because it taps into route 66...its successful because it is places we know and we can connect to from the film.

To your other point i agree the main attraction isnt open and that could stiffle demand BUT i don't think your average guest is that synced into that info. I dont buy into the (everyone is waiting theory) in DL i think it was clearly a mistake to keep APs out and i think disney has sacrificed alot of land coverage by opening the lands early. When rotr opens i dont think they will get all of the same press all over again....even with a great ride it wint fix the fundamentsl problems with the land as follows.

1. A place you know nothing about that has zero familiarity with the movies.
2. A lack of character that you would expect from a star wars area if you have seem any of the movies. (No droids no aliens etc)
3. A legitimately shopping centric design that disney made no attempt to mask.
4. Disney tried to make places you might somewaht regonize due to art styles etc but you cant so its this wierd middle ground of why is it it like this?
5. So heavily and irreversibly tieing it to new movies making it impossible to see orginal characters etc without making no sense at all.
6. Star wars land is legitimately the NFL mermaid que of lands....yeah it looks gorgeous but where the ____ is the substance?

End rant.

Ravenclaw78

Fastpass has nothing to do with parent swap. It is simply giving resort guests a VIP line for 1 or 2 rides a day, at the cost of long lines for everything else

I'm guessing you haven't used parent swap at WDW. They give the 2nd parent a Fastpass+ for the ride, and after the 1st parent waits through the Standby line and rides the attraction, the 2nd parent goes in through the FP+ line. I haven't seen any word as to how Parent Swap will work with MFSR yet (or DAS, Disability Access Services, either, which is also dependent on the FP+ system).

For that matter, neither DL's Fastpass nor WDW's Fastpass+ work remotely like you think they do in the first place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom