Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

doctornick

here's the blame on Orlando from the article "But its high cost made it an easy target for Bob Chapek, who used the concerns from WDW’s Operations team over its low capacity to cut it permanently from the land’s budget. "

Ha ha, I missed it! I think I glossed over the "WDW" part of that quote and thought it was just a general Operations (for both Florida and California) concern.

Still, that's much softer language than previously from Micechat where they blamed TDO for not wanting the third ride simply because they are "cheap". Having operational concerns for a low capacity ride, especially in a park like DHS with limited rides (completely unlike DL) is a valid thought. Of course, they shouldn't have such small ride numbers to begin with except for neglect, but that's a different issue....

doctornick

In this case, the dig at TDO sounds entirely warranted.

Maybe, maybe not. There's at least some rumbling that the reason why DHS is opening first is because it was not as far along when problems were discovered so it was easier to implement a "fix" while DL needed to be dismantled and redone. also, allegedly DHS had crew that would otherwise be working on Mickey and Minnie's that were reassigned to RotR to get that completed quicker.

I don't know how true either of those rumors are, but they could easily account for a DHS version that is ahead of DL's and having opening days that have nothing to do with timing for a potential crowds.

doctornick

yes, the one over Chapek was a bantha, the one in a video was a dewback.

Maybe there was a plan to alternative between the two on the ride...

The ride sounds great in theory but I agree that the low capacity would have been a big operational concern. It would have been better to create one or two bantha/dewback that moves for the land for atmosphere. Maybe even as part of a show.

But having a third ride that is a C-ticket is also something that should have been done. Maybe the particular one they zoomed in on was not ideal. But why not something more similar to the Peoplemover? A high capacity elevated track that takes you around the land with commentary? Easily could have been themed to something Star Wars like (maybe even an existing transportation vehicle - surely something from the PT Coruscant scenes could be adapted) and, if it were continuously loading, it would be great for giving people something to do with short waits.

(might even be able to play some Williams' Star Wars music on it as a "theme" used by the transport company)

drod1985

But, wasn't the artist concept pictured above looming over Chapek a Bantha?
yes, the one over Chapek was a bantha

Maybe a cousin of the Bantha, but not a Bantha.

Bob-Chapek-Ride.jpg

latest

CinematicFusion

People around here complain so bitterly and roll their eyes so disgustedly when Imagineering creates a low capacity ride. And here we are crying over the loss of a very low capacity ride.

And it also sounds a whole lot like people looking for more things to be critical of for the sake of a dog pile. And why does it sound like that? Precisely because they really don't know what it is that they're bemoaning this time around.

<sigh>

It’s not the people on this board. It’s those who have visited. Galaxy’s edge doesn’t have an energetic feel to It.

It has a great walk up “Falcon moment” that is free, other then that it’s more of a hassle to drink at the bar and it’s expensive to build a robot or saber.... something many aren’t that interested to do in the first place.

Biggest problem is the #1 reason to visit Galaxy’s Edge is Rise of the Resistance.... and it isn’t open.

If you don’t live in Florida or California and haven’t already booked a vacation.... why on earth would you visit a land that isn’t finished.

People visit for the rides.
And... people enjoy world showcase for all the shows and action that happens on the street.

Once the ride opens and they add a soundtrack, throw in some street shows, robots, drones and characters.... the place will come alive.

Right now it’s a shopping mall with a movie ride.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It’s not the people on this board. It’s those who have visited.

Biggest problem is the #1 reason to visit Galaxy’s Edge is Rise of the Resistance.... and it isn’t open.

If you don’t live in Florida or California and haven’t already booked a vacation.... why on earth would you visit a land that isn’t finished.

People visit for the rides.

Once the ride opens and they add a soundtrack, throw in some street shows, robots, drones and characters.... the place will come alive.

Right now it’s a shopping mall with a movie ride.

Don't know why you posted that talking-to at me in response to me pointing out that the proposed C Ticket was impractical.

But, you know, you just keep repeating what you've been posting.

CinematicFusion

Don't know why you posted that talking-to at me in response to me pointing out that the proposed C Ticket was impractical.

But, you know, you just keep repeating what you've been posting.

It’s was in response to your comment on people complaining.

You upset? Everything cool?

It’s going to be alright, Galaxy’s edge will be ok at the end of the day.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Maybe, maybe not. There's at least some rumbling that the reason why DHS is opening first is because it was not as far along when problems were discovered so it was easier to implement a "fix" while DL needed to be dismantled and redone. also, allegedly DHS had crew that would otherwise be working on Mickey and Minnie's that were reassigned to RotR to get that completed quicker.

I don't know how true either of those rumors are, but they could easily account for a DHS version that is ahead of DL's and having opening days that have nothing to do with timing for a potential crowds.

Fair point. Whatever problem(s) they are having in CA, the schedule in Orlando may be beneficial to getting them remediated earlier and thus getting the ride open earlier than on the west coast.

On the flip side, I absolutely, positively would not put it past TDO to push for an earlier opening in order to ensure rooms are booked solid in December and January. I just want Rat to be open by March 1 for purely selfish reasons. :)

MrPromey

3 months until the planned opening in DHS... that really is plenty of time to get a few shows up and running as well as put in some puppeteered droids. I mean, they already have experience with that sort of thing with PUSH so it shouldn't be that difficult.

Having worked with some of the team they have (or used to) here in Florida, I can tell you that they can put a quasi-decent show together in weeks with things like actual choreography, timing, visual/audio being worked out in literal days.

Would the results of a push like that be a long-running masterpiece?

Of course not but they can start quickly and improve quickly on anything that is going to be semi-permanent.

Heck, in this case local management has or at least used to have a very good relationship with the 501st. They could plop 95% of fully-costumed extras* into this land with the promise of free park tickets alone for the first few weeks like they've done in the past for Star Wars events if they have to be cheap about it.

*seriously, these guys will show up with their own screen-accurate stuff that union preformers would balk at contorting into for any length of time.

Last edited:

MrPromey

But I've never seen anyone complain about imagineering creating low capacity C ticket rides.

I've seen people complain about low capacity E tickets, the big ones.

To be fair, I complained about the boat ride in Pandora. That said, I'd have been more forgiving of it if I hadn't waited 90 minutes more than a year after it opened to ride it.

I recall AP holders who won the preview lottery prior to opening saying on here that it was great for what it was and they couldn't imaging it having more than a 30 minute wait so my first and only impression might have been better without that wait.

I suspect I'd have felt similar about this one although with it being a unique ride system that would have appealed more to my young son and being the distant third rather than the only other new attraction in this new land, it probably would have gone down a bit better.

RobWDW1971

To be fair, I complained about the boat ride in Pandora. That said, I'd have been more forgiving of it if I hadn't waited 90 minutes more than a year after it opened to ride it.

And we question whether MFSR will have 3 hour waits at DHS. 90 minutes for the world's shortest boat ride to nowhere and 75 minutes for Aliens/Mater? The lines for MFSR are going to be insane.

bclane

Negative.

databank_dewback_01_169_bc886996.jpeg
I'm not even sure what the one in the video was as it had no tail. of course it could be that they just left it off since it was just a early rendering...but it could also have been some other creature they were designing. Either way, something with a head like would definitely benefit from a tail as a counterbalance imo.

Jones14

And we question whether MFSR will have 3 hour waits at DHS. 90 minutes for the world's shortest boat ride to nowhere and 75 minutes for Aliens/Mater? The lines for MFSR are going to be insane.
At least the ride is quality this time. They finally seem to have realized that if you’re only gonna build two rides, they both need to be worth waiting an hour for.

I’m also hopeful that they’ll keep fastpass off of it at least until Mickey opens.

HauntedMansionFLA

I recall AP holders who won the preview lottery prior to opening saying on here that it was great for what it was and they couldn't imaging it having more than a 30 minute wait so my first and only impression might have been better without that wait.

I suspect I'd have felt similar about this one although with it being a unique ride system that would have appealed more to my young son and being the distant third rather than the only other new attraction in this new land, it probably would have gone down a bit better.
Bring the Hyperspace Hoopla back !!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom