Star Wars Land announced for Disney's Hollywood Studios

Frankiepopsicles

I am guessing this is the concept art for the ride that got cancelled?

Attachments

• EA-Y_yvXUAEfobD.jpeg.jpg
    EA-Y_yvXUAEfobD.jpeg.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 343

Incomudro

I’m still not entirely convinced this was simply a bean-counter decision. I’ve watched a good deal of the Jake the Droid test footage. He was abused by guests - particularly children - quite a bit during his test period. There was quite a bit of thumping and banging on his shell. Nearly every child within a ten foot radius felt the need to touch him. Some climbed on him, corralled him into corners, and even tried to ride him. Many were thumping on the head with enough force to make it tilt under their small palms, which would mean the servos inside would receive significant wear and tear.

Guests blatantly abused him and exhibited a good deal of unsafe behavior during the test period. I would wager that - at least in part - the observations of guests unable to treat droids with respect figures into the decision to not deploy them for a variety of reasons: liability, wear-and-tear, crowd flow.

You test things for a reason: to see if they work. Either WDI or Opps obviously drew from the data gathered during the test that roaming droids would not work.

These droids could and should still be employed to roam around behind the barricades that surround the Falcon, and other ships.
They could go across the bridges etc.
Hopefully we will see this.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Looks like Star Wars Safari! LOL! Would it have Capacity issues with Falcon and ROTR in GE as well? I get that it couldn't be the only attraction in GE. Might they try this attraction if GE needs a booster shot on both coasts?

No. Tiny capacity is tiny. Also, as pictured, a free-standing swaying AA weighing as much as a car would probably never be approved for safety issues, especially in California.

brihow

No. Tiny capacity is tiny. Also, as pictured, a free-standing swaying AA weighing as much as a car would probably never be approved for safety issues, especially in California.
Agreed. But there is no reason they couldn't have fabricated a puppet-version of this (like the Dinos that roam around Universal).

Bleed0range

Was this a ride? I always assumed that this was for cast members to just add atmosphere and to see a big animal roaming the streets.

Streetmosphere is only part of it. It's the lack of music, it's the lack of shows, its that there is really only one thing to do unless you have a reservation for the Cantina or spend $200.

I have been on board with a lot of complaints but really is TS land much different? It got two rides (one was already there) and otherwise it’s just food and shopping. What exactly did people think there should be to do besides shopping, food and some rides with a show like experience? That’s the same thing HP has. I would say they shouldn’t have cut that restaurant... but otherwise it’s not THAT devoid of life. And it is going to have another ride in a few months.

doctornick

Streetmosphere is only part of it. It's the lack of music, it's the lack of shows, its that there is really only one thing to do unless you have a reservation for the Cantina or spend $200.
What else is there to do in Pandora? Yet everyone considers that land a success. Lands typically start small and grow. Once RotR opens it will be more fleshed out, and the addition of streetmosphere would help immensely.

I think Pandora does suffer from not having "enough to do" -- complete disclosure, I say the same thing about Diagon Alley for Potter as I think that when "shopping" is the primary way to entertain guests, it strikes me as pretty cynical. I've often said that Pandora is really missing a "walking trail" kind of activity that can be explored as one's own pace and can help to showcase the flora and fauna of the planet well.

Now for GE, it's obviously missing its big ride, so that's going to have an impact on how the land is enjoyed. But even with RotR, there doesn't seem to be enough "stuff" to really have a good fleshed out land. Not having consistent entertainment is one thing that is missing. There could be a proper indoor show or walk though -- why not a Star Wars version of the old Diamond Horseshoe Jubilee? Why not a walk through/"tour" of the droid factory separate from the purchasing experience? Or something like Jedi Training academy - could be something like a training program for the Resistance or recruitment for the First Order.

Heck, does the land even have any formal M&Gs? Even that would be something. You could develop a story treatment to make that work.

winstongator

My family enjoyed the datapad activities in Anaheim. We also really enjoyed impromptu character interactions with Chewie, Rey, Vi Moradi and a stormtroopers interrogation. I really like the addition of the mech-suit driver in pandora and the characters they have in galaxy’s edge so far seem fun too. We just scratched the surface of things to do on the datapad.

Incomudro

What else is there to do in Pandora? Yet everyone considers that land a success. Lands typically start small and grow. Once RotR opens it will be more fleshed out, and the addition of streetmosphere would help immensely.

Pandora is nature.
In nature, you don't always see much of the life - though I still believe Pandora should have added some partially hidden AA's.
Pandora works on natural beauty alone even without a connection to the movies.
Galaxies Edge is a village without inhabitants.
Plus, the idea that GE was going to be - to feel like a living, breathing Westworld outside of the way Disney had ever done before was highly touted by Disney.
It's a beautifully detailed land that will soon have two great rides.
But they haven't given us something here that they haven't given us before.

RobWDW1971

Plus, the idea that GE was going to be - to feel like a living, breathing Westworld outside of the way Disney had ever done before was highly touted by Disney.

This is an insightful take - it's as if Disney/WDI execs caught a couple episodes of Westworld, stole the phrases "immersive", "live your own adventure", built the western town/Batuu (so much detail!), and then skipped the whole part about making all the robots that actually made Westworld compelling and actually allowed you to live your adventure.

So we're left with getting off the train and walking into a deserted western town with just other disappointed, confused tourists.

Incomudro

Pandora is nature.
In nature, you don't always see much of the life - though I still believe Pandora should have added some partially hidden AA's.
Pandora works on natural beauty alone even without a connection to the movies.
Galaxies Edge is a village without inhabitants.
It's a beautifully detailed land that will soon have two great rides.
But they haven't given us something here that they haven't given us before.

I'm thinking... The Westworld Component.
That's what is missing and that is what Trowbridge and Iger often went on about when speaking about Galaxies Edge.
They're responsible for any level of people feeling that the land is devoid of life.
They promised it.
Had they simply promoted a new and highly detailed land with two rides, perception would be different.
But, they were pushing Westworld.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom